FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Priority Luggage never offered? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1912550-priority-luggage-never-offered.html)

gav0106 Jun 4, 2018 2:30 am

Priority Luggage never offered?

Morning All

Not a big deal but on last 4 flights:

LHR-EDI - First Check In
LHR-WAW - First Check In
WAW-LHR
ABZ-LHR

No priority tags given, wife and I both Gold's.

In Warsaw agent said only give when ask and only if you finish in London, if transit they only out transit tags.

In LHR T3, the agent did not out tags, and then completely ignored me as he explained to my wife where the First lounge was, I must not have looked the right type for the First Lounge :D

Just wondered if there any reason for lack of tags?

LondonElite Jun 4, 2018 2:34 am

I don't believe priority baggage is offered on short haul.

Calum Jun 4, 2018 2:36 am

They have no effect, they are just for show so I wouldn't get too upset. There is supposedly a priority code on the barcode on the baggage tag but I've yet to see it pull any results. There is a trail ongoing at LHR for a few select LH flights with passengers in the First cabin but that's it.

cosmo74 Jun 4, 2018 2:37 am

Originally Posted by gav0106 (Post 29826133)
Morning All

Not a big deal but on last 4 flights:

LHR-EDI - First Check In
LHR-WAW - First Check In
WAW-LHR
ABZ-LHR

No priority tags given, wife and I both Gold's.

In Warsaw agent said only give when ask and only if you finish in London, if transit they only out transit tags.

In LHR T3, the agent did not out tags, and then completely ignored me as he explained to my wife where the First lounge was, I must not have looked the right type for the First Lounge :D

Just wondered if there any reason for lack of tags?

Maybe BA have decided to be environmentally friendly and save on the paper, given that they don't actually offer a priority luggage service (except on a handful of trial flights if you're travelling in F). Given most other airlines seem to manage it fine, I still can't understand why BA find it quite so difficult.

RockyRobin Jun 4, 2018 2:38 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 29826141)
I don't believe priority baggage is offered on short haul.

i get priority tags every time outbound from London and that's short haul

LondonElite Jun 4, 2018 2:41 am

Originally Posted by RockyRobin (Post 29826149)

i get priority tags every time outbound from London and that's short haul

You may very well get tags, but these tags do nothing to speed up the delivery of the bags since there is no priority service offered. It is possible that they have a placebo effect, however.

KARFA Jun 4, 2018 2:43 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 29826152)
You may very well get tags, but these tags do nothing to speed up the delivery of the bags since there is no priority service offered. It is possible that they have a placebo effect, however.

Indeed. Tags or no tags, BA explicitly does not offer priority baggage handling (apart from the recently started first bags from 4 routes in to LHR).

https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/oneworld-benefits

**Priority baggage handling is not currently available on flights operated by British Airways.

RockyRobin Jun 4, 2018 2:46 am

Oh yes I'm fully aware of their usefulness! 😀

In fact I wonder if they sometimes ensure my bags come out at the rear or am I judging others by my own wicked thoughts!

subject2load Jun 4, 2018 2:48 am

.......................... It is possible that they have a placebo effect, however.

Similar to putting BAEC Gold tags on one’s baggage, perhaps .......?

(now somebody will come on to tell us that their Gold tag gets them VIP treatment at every BA station, and Op-Ups on absolutely every BA flight they take .......:cool:)

corporate-wage-slave Jun 4, 2018 2:49 am

I really can't see how it makes any difference on shorthaul trips going via LHR. Baggage handling in LHR has a high level of automation and no computer is looking at Priority tags, it's just checking the routing barcode and pushing them down the right chute. T3 is a bit more manual compared to T5, but even so the usual cliché can be deployed: priority tags are only employed for the purposes of keeping happy those who ask for priority tags, they are entirely meretricious. At ABZ and WAW the bins come off aircraft and get dumped on to the reclaim belts, everything is mixed together (some flights only have 1 AKE bin).

newyorklondon Jun 4, 2018 3:30 am

Be careful what you wish for! Flying CPT-JNB in J recently, the check-in agent very carefully and slowly removed the extant "Club" labels from my luggage (attached on the JNB-CPT sector the previous day), only to replace them with, er, identical-but-newer "Club" labels.

Frequent_Flyer1 Jun 4, 2018 4:29 am

But it’s beyond imagination why BA is not able to offer respectively enforce priority luggage? I just don’t get it. It’s labelled in the barcode so just enforce that ground staff put it in an extra container as other airlines do. With LX/LH, most of the time it works well!? Certainly better than BA ;)

PAL62V Jun 4, 2018 4:32 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 29826166)
.... they are entirely meretricious..

I just learnt a new word!!

newyorklondon Jun 4, 2018 4:35 am

Expedited baggage on Comair operated flights?

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 29826155)
Indeed. Tags or no tags, BA explicitly does not offer priority baggage handling (apart from the recently started first bags from 4 routes in to LHR).

https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/oneworld-benefits

Does anyone happen to know if the Club/Priority tags on Comair-operated BA flights actually get the bags expedited? They appear to come out ahead of the rest (in DUR/CPT/JNB anyway). Mind you, I find the whole BA/Comair Club experience significantly better than BA CE in most instances.

makin'miles Jun 4, 2018 4:44 am

There were four passengers on a recent WDH-JNB service, including myself and a friend. Our four bags were the first onto the carousel. YMMV and this is one data point, but it appears Comair do prioritize baggage.

With respect to LHR T5, do baggage handlers have no role at all? I get that once bags are put into the system, they'll get to the carousels when they get there, but surely feeding them into the system more quickly should result in them arriving at the baggage hall more quickly? I'm not sure why the level of automation would have anything to do with it... there's lots of airports with highly automated baggage systems that manage to process priority bags.