Tier Points Year End Cutoff

Old Jun 3, 2018, 1:43 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by adieacc
If it helps, my year end was 8th apr.

I flew osl-hel-jfk-las on the 7th on a variety of fimmair and american. The points posted in two seperate batches a few days later (post year end), they were then reallocated to the previous year, and took me to gold (as planned). I did not need to contact BA etc for a manual adjustment it all happened automatically.
thanks for the report ^
Splotly likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 1:45 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by newyorklondon
Sorry, to be clear, my example of what I call messiness was TPs posted from post-8th flights (in the grace period), which counted toward prior year status (i.e. pre cut-off) but were not zeroed out and remained on the account for the current earning year (i.e. post cut-off).
You seem to be somewhat obsessed with the grace period, when a query pops up relating to them I’ll know who to tag for answers
jerry a. laska likes this.

Last edited by KARFA; Jun 3, 2018 at 1:48 pm Reason: Spelling, sorry
Old Jun 3, 2018, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
yes the usual process will happen as follows

OP flights on their flight

2-3 days later the TPs will post. The app may indicate 'XX tier achieved")

2-3 days after that status will be updated on the app / website - may need to refresh the app or even log off and log on

No need to call. Initially if they don't post within a week then use the claim form on the website. Keep your BPs until TPs have posted in case you need to scan and send them with the claim

Although the TPs will physically post in the new year they will count for the old year. They won't be double counted because the system is based on flight date not posting date.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA

You seem to be somewhat obsessed with the race period, when a query pops up relating to them Ill know who to tag for answers
I was just clarifying my point in response to your post.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 1:51 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), IHG Rewards (Gold Elite), Marriot (Gold Elite), HHonors (Gold Elite), SPG (Gold)
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
yes the usual process will happen as follows

OP flights on their flight

2-3 days later the TPs will post. The app may indicate 'XX tier achieved")

2-3 days after that status will be updated on the app / website - may need to refresh the app or even log off and log on

No need to call. Initially if they don't post within a week then use the claim form on the website. Keep your BPs until TPs have posted in case you need to scan and send them with the claim

Although the TPs will physically post in the new year they will count for the old year. They won't be double counted because the system is based on flight date not posting date.
As always I should wait for the experts before dishing out advice....

Ill get my coat 😀!
Old Jun 3, 2018, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Just that whatever the system is that deals with year-end TP cut-offs isn't always accurate. OP doesn't need the grace period, but my personal experience, is that those two weeks post cut-off can be a bit messy.

I agree that giving it a few days for things to settle is a good idea. I'd be interested to know if OP does have to call BAEC to ensure their new status is achieved, as it should be. Perhaps OP might report back.
I've never heard of anyone having to avail themselves of the 2-week extension for flights taken within the qualification year (up to and including the 8th of the month). The extension period simply is not relevant and arguing its applicability with BAEC will only overly complicate what is normally a fairly simple process.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
I've never heard of anyone having to avail themselves of the 2-week extension for flights taken within the qualification year (up to and including the 8th of the month). The extension period simply is not relevant and arguing its applicability with BAEC will only overly complicate what is normally a fairly simple process.
I was just trying to help OP. The post of mine which you have quoted was a reply to KARFA about why I find the TP year end 'messy' (he doesn't).
Old Jun 3, 2018, 4:54 pm

I was just trying to help OP. The post of mine which you have quoted was a reply to KARFA about why I find the TP year end 'messy' (he doesn't).
Surely the correct answer here is that flights taken within the TP year are credited to that TP year.

I'm unclear whether you are saying your experience is different? But the 2 week extension shouldn't be needed.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by simons1
I'm unclear whether you are saying your experience is different?
I clarified my point in post 15, above.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 2:08 am

I clarified my point in post 15, above.
Honestly I think you are just confusing the OP.

The answer here is where the membership year ends on 8th then any flights taken on the 8th will go to the old year. Any flights from 9th will go to the new year.

No need for any 2 week extension in this case. I dont see why that should be in any way messy.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by simons1
Honestly I think you are just confusing the OP [...] I dont see why that should be in any way messy.
I'm getting a feeling of dj vu here. It's been established that I find the year end TP cut-off messy; others don't.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 2:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Wow. Something very simple and straightforward has really been bent out of shape here!
newyorklondon likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:49 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Silver
Just to add my experience.
My year finished on 8 May.
I flew 2 flights on the 8th.
My account reset to zero on 9th.
The points for these flights were posted on the 10th and immediately reset.

After a few days my card expiry date in the app changed to next year, no fanfare or problems. So no need to panic if it doesn't reflect the change immediately.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:11 am

Whilst the OP in this thread didn't need a grace period to qualify, I am in the situation of requiring a couple days' grace to renew mere Silver on my August 8 year. My AY flight today should put me to 560 (BA metal was already taken care of earlier in the year), but I won't get 600 until after I fly another AY flight on Friday 10 August.

The question for experts here... do I need to specifically request the grace period? If so, is this better done before or after my year has "officially" ended? Further, since I see people writing about two weeks, is this request likely to cause all my flights in that two week period to be applied to the old year? I'd rather this not be the case, as I don't need all of them to retain Silver, and will need all the points I can get if I'm ever going to see Gold again!

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by Schultzois
Whilst the OP in this thread didn't need a grace period to qualify, I am in the situation of requiring a couple days' grace to renew mere Silver on my August 8 year. My AY flight today should put me to 560 (BA metal was already taken care of earlier in the year), but I won't get 600 until after I fly another AY flight on Friday 10 August.

The question for experts here... do I need to specifically request the grace period? If so, is this better done before or after my year has "officially" ended? Further, since I see people writing about two weeks, is this request likely to cause all my flights in that two week period to be applied to the old year? I'd rather this not be the case, as I don't need all of them to retain Silver, and will need all the points I can get if I'm ever going to see Gold again!

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Once the extra TPs have posted after your 10 August flight, give BAEC a call to request they be applied to your prior year accrual period. I've never heard of anyone being declined.

Only the TP transaction(s) which take you over the threshold should be applied to the prior year, then zeroed-out, but sometimes this doesn't happen and you get the bonus of the TPs being both applied to the prior year and remaining in your account as part of your current year accrual.

i.e. if you're at 560 at TP year-end on 8 August, earn 80 in a single flight on August 10, that transaction should be applied to your previous year (a notional 640) as it is within the two-week grace period to push you over 600 for Silver, then zeroed out, so that you start the new TP year with 0 TP. However, you may be in luck and start this year with 80 TP in the bank.

No other TPs subsequently accrued within the two-week period should be affected. See subsequent posts: apparently all TPs earned in the grace period are meant to be cancelled out.

It's not the most streamlined system, but there you go...

Last edited by newyorklondon; Aug 8, 2018 at 8:52 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.