Wiki Posts
Search

Fickle Stepdaughter

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2018, 6:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK
Perhaps call BA and beg them to change the reservation from a seat for your daughter to an unoccupied seat which you paid for.
Why on earth would BA do this? It cannibalizes BA's flexible tickets which are more expensive. If I could purchase for an inflexible fare, cancel and "beg" for flexibility and get it, I would never purchase flexible tickets.

BA does not do this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Often1
BA does not do this.
BA should not do this, but humans make mistakes and also bend rules. Most BA phone agents will follow the fare rules to the letter, but I'm sure many on FT will have come across a lenient agent who has taken pity on a pax, and helped them out.

So begging might not be entirely fruitless. And feel free to try more than once (HUCA occasionally works).
EQDsSUCK likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Begging is just wrong, suck it up and learn from your mistakes and move on.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Begging is just wrong, suck it up and learn from your mistakes and move on.
Or just give it a go on the phone, explain your situation, and see if they can help you out. I don't see any mistake you've made thus far.

In your situation, I'd try the phone option a few times. It'll take ten minutes, and - although unlikely - you might be lucky. There is a reason why 'HUCA' is a thing, and that is because not all phone agents follow or understand fare rules correctly.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
So you want a staff member to make a mistake that would benefit the OP and possibly affect their future career?
orbitmic and LTN Phobia like this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by newyorklondon
Or just give it a go on the phone, explain your situation, and see if they can help you out. I don't see any mistake you've made thus far.

In your situation, I'd try the phone option a few times. It'll take ten minutes, and - although unlikely - you might be lucky. There is a reason why 'HUCA' is a thing, and that is because not all phone agents follow or understand fare rules correctly.
HUCA would traditionally be recommended when you know the correct rule or process and the agent you talk to doesn't. It shouldn't be used repeatedly until you get an agent who makes a mistake in your favour. Not least because you're wasting time they could spend on genuine callers.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 8:01 am

So you want a staff member to make a mistake that would benefit the OP and possibly affect their future career?
It amazes me how many threads I have read on this forum about BA staff making mistakes to the detriment of customers. Unless I am mistaken, they have kept their jobs. You can understand why, for once it could be seen to be a positive for a customer to benefit from poor training or misunderstanding of the rules by staff.
newyorklondon likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 8:02 am

BA staff members make mistakes all the time. I have no idea about what kind of mistake might affect their career at the airline.
PAL62V likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by PaulN
HUCA would traditionally be recommended when you know the correct rule or process and the agent you talk to doesn't. It shouldn't be used repeatedly until you get an agent who makes a mistake in your favour. Not least because you're wasting time they could spend on genuine callers.
I agree with your first sentence. In this instance, I'd still encourage OP to call BA to explain his situation. Personally, in his situation, I would do it a couple of times and keep my fingers crossed.

Last edited by newyorklondon; Jun 3, 2018 at 8:18 am
Old Jun 3, 2018, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador

10 minutes? funniest thing I've read on here is a while. Most of the time you'll be waiting a lot more than that for the phone just to be answered!

Sorry but you appear to have very little knowledge about and over egged expectations over what BA will do in circumstances like this. The most they will do is refund the applicable parts of the fare. If the OP wants to use that partial refund to buy a spare seat that's down to them but BA won't keep the seat free if there is another passenger who needs to sit in it.

I agree that the OP hasn't made a mistake but people change their minds all the time about flying but that doesn't mean BA should do anything about it just because a recalcitrant teen is involved.
JAXBA and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Maybe I should buy a WT ticket and beg to be put in First????
Old Jun 3, 2018, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
10 minutes? funniest thing I've read on here is a while. Most of the time you'll be waiting a lot more than that for the phone just to be answered!

Sorry but you appear to have very little knowledge about and over egged expectations over what BA will do in circumstances like this. The most they will do is refund the applicable parts of the fare. If the OP wants to use that partial refund to buy a spare seat that's down to them but BA won't keep the seat free if there is another passenger who needs to sit in it.

I agree that the OP hasn't made a mistake but people change their minds all the time about flying but that doesn't mean BA should do anything about it just because a recalcitrant teen is involved.
The most BA is likely to dois, as you say, refund the applicable parts of the fare. And yes, they shouldn't do anything about it "just because a recalcitrant teen is involved." But I really don't see the harm in OP calling up, if expectations are kept in check.

As for over-egging, I've maintained that any outcome other than the one you and others have outlined up-thead is unlikely. I think that's the third time I've said that.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by johnaalex
Maybe I should buy a WT ticket and beg to be put in First????
lol, give it a go!
johnaalex likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: DL Silver, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
If allowed, your best bet is to have the remaining two switch to window and aisle then check-in the missing daughter. It's less likely that someone will willingly grab a middle seat. If it's forced on someone, it's near certain they would switch to either the window or aisle so the other two can sit together.
newyorklondon likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
BA should not do this, but humans make mistakes and also bend rules. Most BA phone agents will follow the fare rules to the letter, but I'm sure many on FT will have come across a lenient agent who has taken pity on a pax, and helped them out.
Daft suggestions like this are why BA agents' system access is limited to just what they need (or, tbh, slightly less than).

The correct method of booking an EXST involves Revenue Management. Any attempt to bypass them will not work.

There's no way an agent can transform an existing booking for a human into a secure empty seat. The process would require the blessing of RevMan and a manual reissue by the Etkt Help Desk; meaning 3-4 people would have to be complicit in the rule bending...
orbitmic and msm2000uk like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.