Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Children visiting cockpit before or after flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Children visiting cockpit before or after flight

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by WingsAroundtheWorld
I feel that BA should charge passengers for a trip to the flight deck and a photo. Ł10 per head should do it. Free for Club Europe/CW passengers, or GCH.
Much like I now have to pay for my G&T in ET - why should I subsidise the "frills" of others?
Don't go giving them ideas...!
Old Mar 5, 2019, 6:28 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
I was pleasantly flabbergasted that, even post 9/11, the pilot has the authority to allow passengers in the cockpit during flight - my kids were allowed to sit in the cockpit, one for take-off and the other for landing.
george77300 and OurWorld like this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by LondonAndy
I was pleasantly flabbergasted that, even post 9/11, the pilot has the authority to allow passengers in the cockpit during flight - my kids were allowed to sit in the cockpit, one for take-off and the other for landing.
Doesn't this depend on the rules imposed by the applicable regulator? IIRC, this won't happen on BA any more.
george77300 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Not on BA I assume. Against Company Policy I believe. (Not Illegal though.)

In the USA it is illegal for a non crew member to be in the cockpit, but as I recall in relatively few countries it's illegal. It is often up to either Company Policy and if not Pilot's discretion.

Many airlines allow it around the world, especially children, adults who are clearly very interested "avgeeks" or perhaps private pilots. I haven't been in one during flight yet, but have been in plenty after landing. Rather amusingly my dad on his honeymoon was on a BA 757 to MXP and was allowed in during flight, (and as he was a PPL holder and chatting to them) he was allowed jump-seat for landing, all while leaving my mother and his still wife down the back on her own for the 2 hour flight...
Old Mar 5, 2019, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Doesn't this depend on the rules imposed by the applicable regulator? IIRC, this won't happen on BA any more.
No such law in the UK, but BA's company policy is crew only I believe.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 6:58 am

What airline (and year) if you don't mind me asking. Would love to ask if I fly on them one day.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by FlyingAccountant
I’ve been lurking on this board for more time than I’d care to admit, but this thread caused me to get involved.

Growing up in the 90’s abroad, I was the proud owner of a child’s logbook (Skyflyer?) which I used as my passport to the flightdeck. My ploy would be to use it to gain admittance on the pretext of having this book signed by the captain; my endgame would be to be in the jumpseat for as long as possible, headset on, a thousand questions ready to be asked, hoping to be invited to stay for landing. I can’t now recall how many times this happened, but when it did, it was amazing.

I will admit I probably outstayed my welcome on many occasions, but it was testament to the patience and professionalism of the crew that I don’t ever recall feeling that was the case. Aside, that is, from the time I remember a captain informing me of our current cruising altitude, which I promptly piped up was incorrect, after having looked at the setting on the autopilot, coupled with the indicated altitude. Not sure I stayed long thereafter - I must truly have been and irritating child.

My proudest moment was being in the jumpseat on one occasion for takeoff, though I’m not entirely sure now how that was engineered. I must have accelerated my usual charm offensive on the flight attendants.

At that time, I wanted to be a pilot and, despite that not being the path I eventually took, all these experiences left me with an extremely fond spot for BA and a love of all things aviation. Now, looking back, I almost can’t believe the level of access that was possible pre-9/11. I completely understand the safety concerns now, it is justa shame that children today are extremely unlikely to have the same experience on a commercial flight. That all being said, I’m glad to read that the crew are usually welcoming to children before and after the flight.

On a non-BA note: On a flight back from the US on an American carrier, I was told I could only visit the cockpit pre-taxi, but as recompense for not allowing me entry during the flight, the captain op-up’d me to business. My rather disgruntled sister and somewhat amused parents spent an enjoyable time in economy, I believe.
I don't think you have been welcomed...so Welcome! The forum works best when more people contribute, so it's good to have you as an 'active' member now.

I often visit the flight-deck. I enjoy seeing the route and weather information plus chatting with the crew. Mostly they seem grateful that someone is showing an interest, although occasionally they can be accommodating out of politeness despite busy.

The 747 is the clear winner for me, and if you are already upstairs it would be rude not to ask to pop in. By contrast to the 'real aeroplane' feel of the jumbo, I find the atmosphere in the A380 flight deck closer to that of an open plan office, with three or four people quietly working on their computers.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bazza1603
My Son is plane mad and has never been turned down....!
Great to see this. ^
Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:33 am

So all I have to hope for now is no children on the upper deck on my flight who’s charm and cuteness will bump me to the back of the queue!
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: BA executive club
Smile

Originally Posted by Bluesky30
So all I have to hope for now is no children on the upper deck on my flight who’s charm and cuteness will bump me to the back of the queue!
I have made it in the cockpit made even easier since using my new flight log book I designed. Even received a copy of the flight map from the captain once! I was definitely more excited then my kids!
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Children of all ages may be invited to the cockpit by some crews. I was on the 747 upper deck a year or three ago and was lurking by the cockpit door watching out of the window and the Captain spotted me and invited me in. I had a very interesting 10-15 minute chat about various things, including how the 747-400 is better (in that Captain's opinion) at managing the cabin altitude than a 747 classic flight engineer As departure seemed imminent so I excused myself at just about the right time and went to enjoy the rest of the flight.

Board early, obviously.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:46 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
I have heard, only anecdotally, one story lately of pax allowed a flight deck visit while in the cruise. Longhaul, definitely NOT BA, but another major carrier.

I was v jealous ;-)
Old Jul 30, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Am currently sitting enduring a 1hr 5min ATC delay from INV to LHR and the pilot made an announcement encouraging people to visit the cockpit during the wait. Am in the midst of writing up something with a deadline so I will pass this time, but hope to on an upcoming flight in a few weeks time at the beginning of a big trip to Asia!
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: BA executive club
I am still getting to the flight deck, never during a flight! Love to sit up there one day, while flying... My NEW flight log that I designed always gets a comment, pilot visit to our seat during or after the flight. Can't help but feel very pleased with myself!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.