Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA85 Heathrow to Vancouver Terminal 3 gate 42?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA85 Heathrow to Vancouver Terminal 3 gate 42?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I will reiterate the encouragement to go ahead and ask for assistance. I traveled this past weekend with my mother. On the outward journey, she was so insistent that she didn't need any help, but then we had to stop every few steps at our connecting airport for her to rest and then again upon arrival. She had underestimated how tired traveling would make her and the distances she would need to walk. Thankfully on the way home she allowed me to request assistance.

Last edited by wrp96; Jun 7, 2018 at 11:11 am
Old Jun 1, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Gate 42 is a long hike from the departures shops or the BA lounge. Any PRM is going to find it hard going especially if the travelators are not working, as is the case far too often. Even for an able bodied person with long legs (like me) it's a stiff 10 min walk.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 5:04 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by flatlander
Gate 42 is a long hike from the departures shops or the BA lounge.
Someone with reduced mobility shouldn't be using the BA lounge at T3 in the first place. AFAIK the QF lounge is the one closest to the exit of Fast track. The Cathay one is next door. The BA lounge is a bit further away.

Getting assistance is definitely a good idea. @DeadManFlying: Even gates 1,3,5 and 7 are some distance away and moveable walkways only cover some of the distance. Why bother bringing a wheelchair? Heathrow has those electric carts precisely for that reason.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue
Thank you

Thank you everyone who was kind enough to reply to my confused first post and for your concern for Mrs DMF. I've been working overnight for the last few days and as I've said in threads before the flat bed was lovely but I wish I'd been able to spend more time in it.
I have discussed assistance with her again but with everything that has been happening over the last few months and other problems at home she would rather do it herself and just take her time and leave the lounge, CX of course, early.

The distances involved are quantifiable if you know Reading from the lounge to the 40 gates is the same distance as from the riverside restaurants to Reading station and to the low gates, gate 1 today, are about two thirds as far distances she can do without stopping just slowly especially when I will be the donkey and managing all the carry on.

More of a problem at the moment is because I booked her flights and mine at different times, my son was moving to shared care but we had no timescale on this, Mrs and Ms DMF are in first and I am in club. Because its a Monday in July when I went to book only full price first was still available and £13.000 was too high a price to pay. This is now more of a problem than walking to the gate as its our first holiday together for some time and not being in the same cabin is upsetting her.
I was checking regularly for avios upgrades not available at the moment and thanks to Strattonflyer checking the flight load the reason is obvious F1 A0 and looking at the seat map there is only one seat showing as available.

So the plan now is to check for avios upgrades in the days before the flight and if nothing is available get to T3 early, suffering in the CX first lounge for longer guested in by Mrs DMF, and see if an AUP is available at the check in desk and of course throwing myself on their mercy. I'm coaching Mrs DMF in crying on demand (that is a joke) if not well we've been apart for longer than 10 hours before and we will arrive in Vancouver together so all is not lost.

So again thank you everyone for your reply's and concerns and let's see what July the 9th will bring

DMF
Old Jun 7, 2018, 11:59 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by DeadManFlying
So the plan now is to check for avios upgrades in the days before the flight and if nothing is available get to T3 early, suffering in the CX first lounge for longer guested in by Mrs DMF, and see if an AUP is available at the check in desk and of course throwing myself on their mercy.
Thanks for the detailed reply. I've had a look at that flight and I can only concur with your view that it's not looking likely for Avios or AUP upgrades, unless another family cancels. There really is only one seat going and BA would probably keep that for a last minute sale. It may be easier to watch out for availability in CW, in order to sit together and to keep everyone happy - and think about First for another occasion. You could also consider this on the day, in that you will not struggle to get volunteers to swap seats.

For gate 40, as you have probably seen there is a long corridor going up to the end of the pier, and though you are probably right about the distance equivalence in Reading (I know LHR better than Reading!), it may feel very different due to everyone else rushing around, it's not LHR's most attractive area. Now I can also understand your wife's position in wanting to do this without assistance (though you have all paid for this service via the Passenger Service Charge on your ticket). One thing that maybe useful to know is that there is a medium size Caffè Nero, with its own seating, at gate 31, so if you did leave the Cathay lounge early, you could plan in a short break there and manage the time better, since you only need to allow a short time to complete the trip from there. Though you could turn up at the gate no later than 21 minutes before departure, 45 minutes would be perhaps more sensible. The Cathay Lounge is right by gate 11. It takes me about 7 minutes to get to gate 31 from the lounges, so if you want to assume half speed, I think you are perhaps looking at leaving Cathay around an hour before departure, or perhaps a bit before.

Good luck!
Strattonflyer likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue
corporate-wage-slave thank you for your reply and yes I too think it is a forlorn hope but as we know hope sets you free. I'm continuing to be positive with Mrs DMF and who knows what might happen in the next few weeks, maybe I'll teach that horse to sing.
The suggestion about club together would be a good one except that she is travelling with our daughter who is not the best flyer and would not appreciate being left on her own.

We have made plans in case I'm not there available to them, minimal and light hand luggage for them and anything extra will come with me and for them to relax and enjoy the experience.
I'm not stressing, that much, about our journey which I'm sure will be fine and all we can do is wait for the day and enjoy the experience.

DMF

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.