How much would you Value BAEC Gold?

Old Jun 2, 18, 1:48 am
formerly samwilliams88
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Plat Prem Elite
Originally Posted by BertieBadger View Post
Can i just ask you to clarify something, when you say:

Maybe I'm missing something, but a W return would typically net 180TP and so if you were doing 10 returns you'd be comfortably Gold no? So I presume you mean 10-15 sectors here, presumably at 90 TP each?

Reason I ask is that one unexpected bonus for me was the extra Avios, so if you could work out how much more you'd get (as well as how you personally value them) it might influence your thinking. Or not
sorry for the delayed response, I’ve just got back from Chennai so these posts where while I was flying.
So I started this job in December, and my card year restarts August so this year I would be short of Gold as I only have half the time. I am predicting 10 long haul returns from August this year, so it maybe able to hit gold next year... hope that makes sense
Old Jun 2, 18, 4:00 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by samwilliams88 View Post

sorry for the delayed response, I’ve just got back from Chennai so these posts where while I was flying.
So I started this job in December, and my card year restarts August so this year I would be short of Gold as I only have half the time. I am predicting 10 long haul returns from August this year, so it maybe able to hit gold next year... hope that makes sense
Yes, perfect sense, thanks for the clarification.

Despite my previous comments on Avios, I wonder if PETER01 hasn't touched on something very relevant which is the unquantifiable 'feel good' factor. Sometimes, as long as it's not risking the roof over your family, maybe the heart should rule the head?
T8191 likes this.
Old Jun 2, 18, 5:10 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA GGL & Gold for Life, VS Silver, HHonours Diamond
I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the 67 FT’ers who have, or will be flying on the PHX TP run through the year. All of these will be paying £1,200 or more mainly for the TP’s but also for the fun of flying.

Perhaps the OP should just bite the bullet and give it a go. They may just enjoy themselves.
duncgor likes this.
Old Jun 2, 18, 5:17 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), IHG Rewards (Gold Elite), Marriot (Gold Elite), HHonors (Gold Elite), SPG (Gold)
Originally Posted by IFE Wizard View Post
I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the 67 FT’ers who have, or will be flying on the PHX TP run through the year. All of these will be paying £1,200 or more mainly for the TP’s but also for the fun of flying.

Perhaps the OP should just bite the bullet and give it a go. They may just enjoy themselves.
@IFE Wizard makes a good point, if you’re one of those people who just loves to fly and get a kick out of it the 1200 could be moot as you get value out of the experience not just viewing flying as an inconvenient part of the process of getting to a destination.
Old Jun 2, 18, 6:31 am
formerly samwilliams88
Original Poster

Oh I love flying... to the point where I would happily sit in business class for hours sleeping, eating and watching tv/film which o do at home. Add in the destinations you can go is a bonus! There was one point made earlier.... I’ll be going from I guess a high CIV silver to a low CIV Gold, would this impact on my opups?

Is there much much to do in Phoenix, that I can make it a holiday? Or is it one those places you go sit by a pool and sun bathe 🙄.

On the other hand, I’m 22 and live with parents so the only financial impact would be to my savings that month.
Old Jun 2, 18, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
PHX has different dimensions depending on your interests. Sunbathing is, however, potentally hazardous in 40°C+ under clear blue skies! We do, however, make good use of our friends’ pool!

Our next trip will involve Shopping, Pool-sitting, and Driving out into the amazing countryside.
Old Jun 2, 18, 6:57 am

I’ll be going from I guess a high CIV silver to a low CIV Gold, would this impact on my opups?
The lowest Gold CIV is still higher than the highest Silver one. Anecdotally, Gold might even help op up, but I've not seen conclusive evidence either way.

Oh I love flying...
​​​​​​...
On the other hand, I’m 22 and live with parents so the only financial impact would be to my savings that month
I do believe we have our answer
IFE Wizard, T8191 and duncgor like this.
Old Jun 2, 18, 7:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold

On the other hand, I’m 22 and live with parents so the only financial impact would be to my savings that month.
Many people of similar age (and circumstances) would have a very similar, perfectly reasonable perspective. And, in all fairness, others of your age might just as easily spend four figures on ‘upgrading’ the alloy wheels on their car, whereas your particular hobby seems to be sitting on planes.

Then again - and at the risk of coming across as something of an interfering bore - I do hope the ‘financial impact’ of such non-essential spend as you’re contemplating does not come back to bite you when putting together a deposit ahead of your first entry on the property ladder
T8191 likes this.
Old Jun 2, 18, 9:21 am
formerly samwilliams88
Original Poster

Originally Posted by subject2load View Post

Many people of similar age (and circumstances) would have a very similar, perfectly reasonable perspective. And, in all fairness, others of your age might just as easily spend four figures on ‘upgrading’ the alloy wheels on their car, whereas your particular hobby seems to be sitting on planes.

Then again - and at the risk of coming across as something of an interfering bore - I do hope the ‘financial impact’ of such non-essential spend as you’re contemplating does not come back to bite you when putting together a deposit ahead of your first entry on the property ladder
this is very true, and an excellent point you make here. Although, my main goal is to actually take my PPL licence to a CPL to then become a pilot....

can i just thabk everyones feedback on this.

Old Jun 2, 18, 9:31 am

Please do let know your decision, it's a common question, so useful for future visitors.
​​​
Old Jun 2, 18, 9:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Having been variously gold, bronze and silver over the last 5 years: I place the value of silver very high, and the relative value difference between gold and silver being only slight .

To me, the biggest and most important difference is the first wing. If you travel from LHR a lot, and it sounds like you do, that's a perk that makes entering that specific airport much nicer .

For the rest of the world, I don't perceive a sufficient value difference, except perhaps extremely superficially.

As others have pointed out, you can have more avoid redemption opportunities with Gold, but that's not something I have needed in the past.
​​​
Old Jun 2, 18, 10:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold

this is very true, and an excellent point you make here. Although, my main goal is to actually take my PPL licence to a CPL to then become a pilot....

can i just thabk everyones feedback on this.

And thanks from me for your response to my own thoughts.

Much as I would have liked to become a commercial pilot, I’m fairly sure I would have fallen short on several counts (and so chose a very different career route......). But I do wish you the very best of luck in your endeavours