Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

My first First Class flight (via a convoluted route!)

My first First Class flight (via a convoluted route!)

Old Jun 3, 18, 9:22 am

Programs: BAEC, Fans of MO, Marriott
Is DXB MF or WW?
Old Jun 3, 18, 9:28 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Originally Posted by Grande Annee View Post
Is DXB MF or WW?
WW

OP for someone whoís never flown F you seem to know the service standards very well...your whole post reads like the script from a perfect first class flight.
Grande Annee likes this.
Old Jun 3, 18, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by travelwithross View Post
OP for someone who’s never flown F you seem to know the service standards very well...your whole post reads like the script from a perfect first class flight.
Just calling it as I saw it. Having experienced Club Europe (via Avios upgrades) pretty much every week for the last 2 years, I’m pretty well versed in the service offerings in the F lounge and on board CE flights, so the differences stood out. Bear in mind that I took a cheap route to get to this flight - initial return in WT+ was less than £600, then 20k Avios and £50 for the Club upgrade, and finally £391 for the upgrade to First. My First flight probably cost less than the majority of the other Club passengers paid for their seats, so it was great value for money.

Anyway, I’m a firm believer of credit where it’s due. If I flew First every week, I’m sure that the initial shine would wear off, but this was a pleasant one-off for me, and I enjoyed it. Particularly the staff interaction.

Last edited by Tredders; Jun 3, 18 at 12:29 pm
Old Jun 3, 18, 12:58 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Sounds like you had a great experience, I'm very pleased for you. BA First when it's good can be excellent, it's just a shame that it's sometimes inconsistent.
Tredders likes this.
Old Jun 3, 18, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by LBP2 View Post
This exactly, I'll be on my 7th F in a couple of weeks and 5 of them have been because F was cheaper than CW at time of booking (which I still find completely mad), one cost me 30k Avios and the one coming up on Friday cost me 27k Avios into what looks like an empty cabin at the moment (2F released last Weds). Mostly achieved because of what I have picked up on here
Sorry to go OT, but what kind of tips have you picked up on here to achieve this? I've noticed it occasionally when looking at flights, but ultimately never works out for the dates we want

Originally Posted by Tredders View Post
Thanks for all the comments. The promised trip report follows. Forgive me for the length of this post, but I loved pretty much every minute of the experience!: -

My first first was last year and it certainly was a special experience with A+ service. So glad yours sounds to have gone just as smoothly (if not better)! That flight and my first flight in J have been my favourite with BA; they're distinctly memorable in comparison to other flights in the same class since (probably because they don't have that "kid in a candy store" aura about them that I nostalgically recall). I wonder if there's a thread on here for other people's first experiences of J/F.. Would made for a good read I imagine!

I've never made it to the CCR, but have my first F flight out of T5 later this year.. Got lucky with some F reward flights being released a couple of weeks ago (already had a booking in J for the same flight) and I rang BA straight away to book them
Tredders likes this.
Old Jun 3, 18, 11:34 pm

Programs: BA GFL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Tredders View Post

Just calling it as I saw it. Having experienced Club Europe (via Avios upgrades) pretty much every week for the last 2 years, Iím pretty well versed in the service offerings in the F lounge and on board CE flights, so the differences stood out. Bear in mind that I took a cheap route to get to this flight - initial return in WT+ was less than £600, then 20k Avios and £50 for the Club upgrade, and finally £391 for the upgrade to First. My First flight probably cost less than the majority of the other Club passengers paid for their seats, so it was great value for money.

Anyway, Iím a firm believer of credit where itís due. If I flew First every week, Iím sure that the initial shine would wear off, but this was a pleasant one-off for me, and I enjoyed it. Particularly the staff interaction.
Good on you i say. Employees make all the difference to a good trip, whether ground or flight crew. Thanks for the report.
Tredders likes this.
Old Jun 3, 18, 11:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by abc193 View Post
Sorry to go OT, but what kind of tips have you picked up on here to achieve this? I've noticed it occasionally when looking at flights, but ultimately never works out for the dates we want
For the Avios availability, setting up a dummy avoid booking and trying to book periodically - and, when it finds a seat, pounce LOL. Also https://www.baredemptionfinder.com which can be frustrating if the days around your booking turn blue but your stays resolutely blank! But just knowing that seats can free up pretty close to the flight makes actively checking worthwhile.
I find working slightly out of step of the days fellow business travellers generally choose helps too, which has given me a good share of op-ups also (eg fly a day earlier than my colleagues would to the US, on a leisure-heavy day) I guess I am likely just very lucky on my routes that are very obviously business-heavy on certain days and not on others - but I guess figuring out what those days are is down to flying them pretty regularly and noticing patterns.
abc193 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 18, 7:24 am

Programs: BAEC
What a delightful account of events! I am really happy the OP had such a good time in First!
LBP2 and Tredders like this.
Old Jun 4, 18, 7:45 am

Programs: BAEC, Fans of MO, Marriott
WW BA crew in F can be the best
Old Jun 4, 18, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by LBP2 View Post
For the Avios availability, setting up a dummy avoid booking and trying to book periodically - and, when it finds a seat, pounce LOL. Also https://www.baredemptionfinder.com which can be frustrating if the days around your booking turn blue but your stays resolutely blank! But just knowing that seats can free up pretty close to the flight makes actively checking worthwhile.
I find working slightly out of step of the days fellow business travellers generally choose helps too, which has given me a good share of op-ups also (eg fly a day earlier than my colleagues would to the US, on a leisure-heavy day) I guess I am likely just very lucky on my routes that are very obviously business-heavy on certain days and not on others - but I guess figuring out what those days are is down to flying them pretty regularly and noticing patterns.
Thanks - I have been lucky with baredemptionfinder.com before (coincidentally on the exact route you've provided) and am (relatively) up to speed with Avios availability/booking strategies. I was more curious about the F revenue fares that are cheaper than J (like the screenshot you've provided).

Edit: Just re-read your post. Is it common for F fares to be less than J on heavy business-heavy days due to most corporate policies only allowing bookings in J, thus reducing availability in J but with F remaining empty?
Old Jun 4, 18, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by Grande Annee View Post
Is DXB MF or WW?
Glad you had such a good first First OP! We are currently operating the BA109 and the 105 from July with the 107 being operated by WW.
Tredders likes this.
Old Jun 4, 18, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold
To add to this thread, Iíve just checked in at DXB for my flight home, and was offered an upgrade from WT+ to Club for £460. Turned it down and headed for the lounge. As I entered, they scanned my boarding pass and I got the magic double beep! So Iím now in Club on the way home. Happy days!
Old Jun 5, 18, 1:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by abc193 View Post
Thanks - I have been lucky with baredemptionfinder.com before (coincidentally on the exact route you've provided) and am (relatively) up to speed with Avios availability/booking strategies. I was more curious about the F revenue fares that are cheaper than J (like the screenshot you've provided).

Edit: Just re-read your post. Is it common for F fares to be less than J on heavy business-heavy days due to most corporate policies only allowing bookings in J, thus reducing availability in J but with F remaining empty?
On the NRT route which seems in general to be leisure-heavy (vs HND), it seems that yes on the days that appear to have more business travellers then there are cheaper F fares (eg flying out Fridays / back Saturdays) - I appreciate I am a sample size of one, but it's rare for me to book and it not to be cheaper for at least one of the legs. eg my return trip next Saturday - albeit now moved to HND as the NRT flight got cancelled - was >£600 cheaper in F (when booked). Then 2x F seats were released last Weds for this Friday's outbound. So I managed F both ways for a few Avios and 'saving' a chunk of money too. Which is why I likely have a different perspective/set of expectations than someone booking F with a big £uplift over CW, I have very little to be disappointed with
abc193 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: