Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Baggage allowance for OWE, eurotraveller (with baggage fare)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2018, 2:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Cathay, BA, UA

I was travelling TRN-LGW, on website, on my mobile boarding pass all stated that I can check 2 x 32 kg bags. I have one 28 kg. They insist that no bags over 23 kg unless in business class.

I’m Cathay Diamond, (OWE). But with upon checkin I got rejected even I show the boarding pass.

Have they changed the rules recently?

Last edited by diablo_josito; Jun 1, 2018 at 2:28 am
Old Jun 1, 2018, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
No, this sounds wrong.

Were they trying to charge you extra for the overweight bag? Or were they simply refusing to take it altogether?
Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:06 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
So was this at check in at TRN? Did they charge you the heavy bag charge? I assume you had your CX number in the booking?

Nothing has changed, OWE are allowed checked bags up to 32 kg without charge. The normal allowance is 23 kg and usually if your bag is between 23-32 kg you are charged a heavy bag allowance. However for OWS and OWE the heavy bag charge is waived.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...lowances#extra
Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
No, this sounds wrong.

Were they trying to charge you extra for the overweight bag? Or were they simply refusing to take it altogether?
both, first to reduce if not to pay. They told me I d risk to miss the bag check if I refused.

i have my e-ticket printed it says 32 kg x2. I relog in this morning for the booking it writes 2 x23 kg.

Is it a bug? It’s a BA operated & market flight.

I show them my mobile boarding and website they just says no. Computer says no.

Last edited by diablo_josito; Jun 1, 2018 at 3:18 am
Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
So was this at check in at TRN? Did they charge you the heavy bag charge? I assume you had your CX number in the booking?

Nothing has changed, OWE are allowed checked bags up to 32 kg without charge. The normal allowance is 23 kg and usually if your bag is between 23-32 kg you are charged a heavy bag allowance. However for OWS and OWE the heavy bag charge is waived.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...lowances#extra
I have my CX number in system & they just rolled their eye at me as long as the bags don’t weigh below 23 kg they don’t anything as system says 23 kg x 2. I show them website and mobile boarding pass I have.

If they mentioned if it’s some safety reason I would be happy to make it, but they were just plain rude & arrogant.

I have a few trips with BA in the next 2-3 weeks if its 23 x 2 I can just cancel it as it is not what it is said on website.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by diablo_josito
Is it a bug? It’s a BA operated & market flight.
I don't use the app, so I don't have any experience of what it shows.

Is your CX number in the booking? Does your boarding pass show your CX number? Does it show your oneworld Emerald status? The only thing that I can think of for "computer says no" is that your booking has not picked up the fact that you are an Emerald, hence the check-in system is telling the agents that your allowance is 1 x 23 kg (the normal economy allowance).

If you suspect a problem with that, try getting them to delete and reinsert your CX number into the booking.

But that can't be the whole story, because even if your included allowance is 1 x 23 kg, they should accept one or two bags up to 32 kg if you hand over enough money. So I'm a bit puzzled as to why they would be threatening to refuse to take the bag at all simply because it's over 23 kg.
I have a few trips with BA in the next 2-3 weeks if its 23 x 2 I can just cancel it as it is not what it is said on website.
No, trust us on this. If you are a oneworld emerald, your allowance in economy on a BA-marketed BA-operated flight is definitely 2 bags x 32 kg each. The website page that KARFA linked to is absolutely clear on this. Something else is going wrong today.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I don't use the app, so I don't have any experience of what it shows.

Is your CX number in the booking? Does your boarding pass show your CX number? Does it show your oneworld Emerald status? The only thing that I can think of for "computer says no" is that your booking has not picked up the fact that you are an Emerald, hence the check-in system is telling the agents that your allowance is 1 x 23 kg (the normal economy allowance).

If you suspect a problem with that, try getting them to delete and reinsert your CX number into the booking.

But that can't be the whole story, because even if your included allowance is 1 x 23 kg, they should accept one or two bags up to 32 kg if you hand over enough money. So I'm a bit puzzled as to why they would be threatening to refuse to take the bag at all simply because it's over 23 kg.No, trust us on this. If you are a oneworld emerald, your allowance in economy on a BA-marketed BA-operated flight is definitely 2 bags x 32 kg each. The website page that KARFA linked to is absolutely clear on this. Something else is going wrong today.
thanks for reply.

My Cx status was on my booking and it shows 2 x 23 kg when I checked in. That’s what they told me. Boarding pass shows my status & cx ffp. I checked 2 bags so they definitely pick up the status, yet not given the allowance stated on website.

One more checke quickly my next few flights, both redemptions and paid, show only 23 kg x 2 pc now, on BA website. Very strange.

I’ll next trip get them to try reinsert. Maybe that help. But I d be furious if they ask me to pay again after all trouble, plus the attitude.

I do do appreciate your advice guys! Thank you.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One more checke quickly my next few flights, both redemptions and paid, show only 23 kg x 2 pc now, on BA website. Very strange.
Looking at individual bookings using MMB sometimes doesn't give the correct answer. I think that this may be because it picks up "2PC" from the ticket, but doesn't correctly pick up the additional weight allowance. It's possible that these extra allowances (both the extra bag in economy and the extra weight per bag) are non-ticketed policy allowances. We get questions about this quite a lot.

However, check-in agents ought to know this. I very much doubt that any check-in agent in London would have a difficulty with what allowance you ought to have, but one of the issues with outstations is that local handling agents' staff may not always be as up to speed with the detail as they ought to be.

In your position, my first priority would be to make sure that the bags travel, even if the ultimate outcome is that I have to pay. I would then be chasing BA for a refund as soon as travel was over.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.