Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Data protection does it again - Part Avios/ Cash Refund.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2018, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Club Silver, Kestrelflyer Silver, FlyingBlue & Expedia+

Hi Everyone,

Hope your all well. I’m in a bit a predicament here and nearly tearing my hair out because of it, I have no idea what to do! I thought I’d drop a message on here and see if anyone has had something similar happen and maybe could offer some form of advice ☹

Simply, I am sure some of you may remember I posted a while back, about booking for someone else and how the option to state the person paying is not travelling was not there when I did the booking. Well that booking was for my aunt, In the end although I know there was a high chance of it not being a problem if my aunt had travelled on that ticket, however trying to be the good person I am I proactively cancelled simply because the computer system took my credit card number and then her name and put her down as the cardholder’s name on the booking instead of mine. I know that could have possibly lead to issues if something had come up and would rather not take the risk.

So, I ring up 2 weeks ago to have it cancelled and explained the above to the friendly Indian call centre and they said as I am not the ticket holder they can’t access the booking to cancel however I can work around this by going online and cancelling it through MMB as it was under 24 hrs.

I did and fast word 14 days to today and still no money or avios returned to my account! (It was a part avios and part cash booking) I rang up this morning on the Silver Line and got through to Newcastle’s call centre and explained the situation who simply said I can’t do anything due to data protection laws. I understood and explained to her how everything was done by me and how the computers messed it up (even down to the email and telephone number is mine, only her name and API stuff is hers) and she still said she can’t do anything as she cannot discuss the booking with me as my name is not on it. What toom me over the edge was the attitude I could sense over the phone (I am sure you’ve known when someone does not want to be in a job) It was literally that. I asked to speak with her manager to which she replied he can’t do anything about it and I persisted and she eventually did.

I explained it to him to which he said get my aunt to ring up BA in Italy and add myself as a nominee in the booking, I thought bingo job done. She eventually rang me back and said after trying they could not do it as the booking is in the process of being cancelled! I ring up BA again over here and they said they simply can’t do anything but get my aunt to confirm the details over the phone and pass it to me. No idea how to she is in Italy but due to fly here next month should I wait till then?

End of the day I have £80 and 26k Avios sitting with them and I don’t know if I’ll ever see it again. Should I just give up? It’s really one of those loopholes. Hoping it magically pops up in my account again – I’ve not had a call or email from them also if there were any issues. At the same time, I don’t know if they can process the booking due to the cardholder name being incorrect.

Anything would be appreciated thank you :/
Old May 31, 2018, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The avios are a different story, but as to the £80, take that up with the credit card issuer (bank). It will be for BA to justify the charge as legitimate, which it will not because it can not. When that happens, the avios will return in due course.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:08 am

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!
As an alternative suggestion, do you have a female friend/relative of the right sort of age, who you could give a crib sheet with all the information she needs to identify herself as your aunt, who could then tell them she wants you to be able to talk to them about the booking, and would then pass the phone over to you...
Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by cvm0093
Hi Everyone,

Hope your all well. I’m in a bit a predicament here and nearly tearing my hair out because of it, I have no idea what to do! I thought I’d drop a message on here and see if anyone has had something similar happen and maybe could offer some form of advice ☹

Simply, I am sure some of you may remember I posted a while back, about booking for someone else and how the option to state the person paying is not travelling was not there when I did the booking. Well that booking was for my aunt, In the end although I know there was a high chance of it not being a problem if my aunt had travelled on that ticket, however trying to be the good person I am I proactively cancelled simply because the computer system took my credit card number and then her name and put her down as the cardholder’s name on the booking instead of mine. I know that could have possibly lead to issues if something had come up and would rather not take the risk.

So, I ring up 2 weeks ago to have it cancelled and explained the above to the friendly Indian call centre and they said as I am not the ticket holder they can’t access the booking to cancel however I can work around this by going online and cancelling it through MMB as it was under 24 hrs.

I did and fast word 14 days to today and still no money or avios returned to my account! (It was a part avios and part cash booking) I rang up this morning on the Silver Line and got through to Newcastle’s call centre and explained the situation who simply said I can’t do anything due to data protection laws. I understood and explained to her how everything was done by me and how the computers messed it up (even down to the email and telephone number is mine, only her name and API stuff is hers) and she still said she can’t do anything as she cannot discuss the booking with me as my name is not on it. What toom me over the edge was the attitude I could sense over the phone (I am sure you’ve known when someone does not want to be in a job) It was literally that. I asked to speak with her manager to which she replied he can’t do anything about it and I persisted and she eventually did.

I explained it to him to which he said get my aunt to ring up BA in Italy and add myself as a nominee in the booking, I thought bingo job done. She eventually rang me back and said after trying they could not do it as the booking is in the process of being cancelled! I ring up BA again over here and they said they simply can’t do anything but get my aunt to confirm the details over the phone and pass it to me. No idea how to she is in Italy but due to fly here next month should I wait till then?

End of the day I have £80 and 26k Avios sitting with them and I don’t know if I’ll ever see it again. Should I just give up? It’s really one of those loopholes. Hoping it magically pops up in my account again – I’ve not had a call or email from them also if there were any issues. At the same time, I don’t know if they can process the booking due to the cardholder name being incorrect.

Anything would be appreciated thank you :/
You are making the mistake that BA agents can discuss a booking if you explain the mistake. Unfortunately if there is only the same name for passenger and cardholder then you are not named and cant pass data protection.

The only way to solve this is for your aunt to call up and clear data protection, once this is done she can ask for a note to be added to say you are able to discuss and make changes on her behalf.
Tiger_lily likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:14 am

Programs: BA Gold
this seems the best option! ( the fake aunt)
Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:27 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
If the aunt has an EC account, it would help to make the OP the "third party nominee" for that account?
Old Jun 1, 2018, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by DrBernardo
As an alternative suggestion, do you have a female friend/relative of the right sort of age, who you could give a crib sheet with all the information she needs to identify herself as your aunt, who could then tell them she wants you to be able to talk to them about the booking, and would then pass the phone over to you...
why not just do it yourself - be interesting to see if the call taker is brave enough to call you out and say that you don’t sound female. At which point, claim outrage and humiliation and demand a supervisor!!! 😉🤔
Old Jun 1, 2018, 5:52 am

Given BA have acknowledged that the booking is in the process of being cancelled, I’m not sure having the ability to talk to them directly about it will have any effect. Unfortunately, 14 days is not uncommon for a refund to be processed and it can take quite a bit longer depending on how many the team are dealing with. I’d wait a few weeks before progressing.

Also (conscious of GDPR week!), BA are doing the right thing by not allowing you to access a booking which fundamentally isn’t yours.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
A fascinating thread. When I read the OP's post, I compared BA to my daughters' car insurances. I "administer" both sets of car insurance for my 2 daughters. (And pay for it until I sometimes get refunded). The insurance Companies normally allow me to make changes.
When one of them refused, I asked for them to remove my name, address, and credit card number from their files. This was pre-GDPR. They refused to remove the details, so I asked to be put through to either Security or a senior manager.
Suddenly, I was given access again. .
dylanks likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
A fascinating thread. When I read the OP's post, I compared BA to my daughters' car insurances. I "administer" both sets of car insurance for my 2 daughters. (And pay for it until I sometimes get refunded). The insurance Companies normally allow me to make changes.
When one of them refused, I asked for them to remove my name, address, and credit card number from their files. This was pre-GDPR. They refused to remove the details, so I asked to be put through to either Security or a senior manager.
The difference is on a booking if someone entered the passengers name as the card holder name incorrectly then the BA contact centre agent would only see a the single same name for both passenger and card holder and must go with what is in the booking.

And this happens if someone doesnt correctly select the option to say the person paying isnt travelling because the cardholder name defaults to passenger name.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 4:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
The avios are a different story, but as to the £80, take that up with the credit card issuer (bank). It will be for BA to justify the charge as legitimate, which it will not because it can not. When that happens, the avios will return in due course.
I never thought of that, I need to look in to it. Thank you!
Old Jun 2, 2018, 4:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DrBernardo
Originally Posted by endoman
this seems the best option! ( the fake aunt)
Originally Posted by Lefly
If the aunt has an EC account, it would help to make the OP the "third party nominee" for that account?
Unfortunately Aunt does not have an EC account, however she is listed on my Friends and Family page.

That's actually the plan for now my other aunt (her sister) lives in the UK I was going to get her to help but either way both of them are coming down in the next 3 weeks so might as well sort it out with the actual aunt! Thank you for the advice it really does seem the only method.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 4:28 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by cvm0093
Unfortunately Aunt does not have an EC account, however she is listed on my Friends and Family page.
If it's not a really dumb question, why can't you have a 3 way telephone call? Have the real aunt on standby, call BAEC, when you are connected then patch in the real aunt.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 4:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Anonba

You are making the mistake that BA agents can discuss a booking if you explain the mistake. Unfortunately if there is only the same name for passenger and cardholder then you are not named and cant pass data protection.

The only way to solve this is for your aunt to call up and clear data protection, once this is done she can ask for a note to be added to say you are able to discuss and make changes on her behalf.
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Given BA have acknowledged that the booking is in the process of being cancelled, I’m not sure having the ability to talk to them directly about it will have any effect. Unfortunately, 14 days is not uncommon for a refund to be processed and it can take quite a bit longer depending on how many the team are dealing with. I’d wait a few weeks before progressing.

Also (conscious of GDPR week!), BA are doing the right thing by not allowing you to access a booking which fundamentally isn’t yours.
Indeed being the patient person is the only way around right now!

I fully understand their situation at BA and completely are satisfied they are doing their jobs properly. (Much rather that than handing out free personal info!) The only grief I have with them is they could have accepted responsibility that their systems caused this issue. I didn't tell their booking system to remove my name as the card payer and put my aunts along with my card number - in addition to not displaying the option to choose I am not travelling that should really be on them. I'm trying my best to accommodate that but don't see any pro-activeness on their part. I don't even know if that could be classed as some sort of fraud or something.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
Lucky you!

Originally Posted by Anonba

The difference is on a booking if someone entered the passengers name as the card holder name incorrectly then the BA contact centre agent would only see a the single same name for both passenger and card holder and must go with what is in the booking.

And this happens if someone doesnt correctly select the option to say the person paying isnt travelling because the cardholder name defaults to passenger name.
Well that's the problem Anonba, It didn't give me the option to choose! and then decided to change it around itself!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.