Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What’s up with G-CIVI’s tail?

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by Bullswood
Yikes -if it has really been like that for a month, it shows how far acceptable standards have come from the proud days of the Landor coat of arms. I appreciate that rudder balance is an issue on re-paint, but at least patch the tail cone! Doubtless it has been signed off as airworthy, but I hate to think how many thousands of air travellers have seen this and made a mental note - why bother with expensive brand advertising if this is what shows up on the front line?
Boring. Cristism as usual from the BA bashers.
Go home, so easy to be negative. Go to another airline, forum, whatever....
GDOCA likes this.
Old May 31, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
There are photos somewhere of some of the 747-100s before they were retired looking far worse in Landor livery and that was in the ‘hey day’. No big deal and no effect on safety, fully understandable given the Dreamliner situation that BA want a/c flying as much as possible, as any airline would.
Old May 31, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by Crubber
I thought the Cathedral was listed?
I think only Technical Block A is listed: https://historicengland.org.uk/listi...-entry/1268530 which now contains, among other things, the training facilities - flight simulators and cabin emergency training simulators.
Old May 31, 2018, 7:32 pm

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
I think criticism is fair. The livery represents the brand and, for whatever historical reason BA is the UK's flag carrier*, so it represents the UK at other airports. I think that this points to the fact that BA is running at maximum efficiency on airframes, which also means there is no flexibility to take one out of service for a few days for a partial paint job.

Sad times really.

*don't shoot the messenger
Old May 31, 2018, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by skipness1E
Indeed the Cathedral Hangar is to be demolished,
Isn't the Cathedral FSU's hangar? Or whatever name shorthaul casualty goes by these days?
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:13 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by flyuk
I think criticism is fair. The livery represents the brand and, for whatever historical reason BA is the UK's flag carrier*, so it represents the UK at other airports. I think that this points to the fact that BA is running at maximum efficiency on airframes, which also means there is no flexibility to take one out of service for a few days for a partial paint job.

Sad times really.

*don't shoot the messenger
Yes, it is fair to some extent, and it does have a negative impact on the brand perception - but if it, as stated by another poster up-thread, has to do with eliminating all non-maintenance related down-time of the fleet while the 787 issues are still ongoing, I am sure most passengers would prefer as few cancellations as possible over planes being out of service for a paint job
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:24 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Yes, it is fair to some extent, and it does have a negative impact on the brand perception - but if it, as stated by another poster up-thread, has to do with eliminating all non-maintenance related down-time of the fleet while the 787 issues are still ongoing, I am sure most passengers would prefer as few cancellations as possible over planes being out of service for a paint job
Oh, I agree 100%. I'm in the same industry, there is so much pressure for minimum downtime, while maintaining contingency, passing savings to airlines, paying correct wages, and the soft target is always non-essential maintenance.

Incidentally, from what I've read elsewhere, this is a rudder hydraulic leak, with Skydrol burning through the paintwork; Hard to clean off, and hard to prevent the damage re-occurring. I'm sure the leak is within tolerances, but having been in an RAF Hawk being forced to land with an indicated hydraulic leak, this still sounds terrifying.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by flyuk
Oh, I agree 100%. I'm in the same industry, there is so much pressure for minimum downtime, while maintaining contingency, passing savings to airlines, paying correct wages, and the soft target is always non-essential maintenance.

Incidentally, from what I've read elsewhere, this is a rudder hydraulic leak, with Skydrol burning through the paintwork; Hard to clean off, and hard to prevent the damage re-occurring. I'm sure the leak is within tolerances, but having been in an RAF Hawk being forced to land with an indicated hydraulic leak, this still sounds terrifying.
Interesting , thank you.

I’m no technician, so this means that the aircraft may have been flying or landing without full rudder steering at some point. I agree , I imagine the pilots were quite concerned at the time.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by Woodbinerich

Interesting , thank you.

I’m no technician, so this means that the aircraft may have been flying or landing without full rudder steering at some point. I agree , I imagine the pilots were quite concerned at the time.
Not sure about such a large aircraft, but I expect it's the same as the one I was in. The system has more fluid than it needs to ensure that if there is a small leak it doesn't just stop working. If the level goes down by a certain amount then there should be an indication in the cockpit. The Hawk started losing fluid mid flight and on approach the pilot called an emergency to jump the approach queue, there was plenty of fluid left on arrival, but a lot had leaked out in a relatively short period. From what I was told in the debrief, they are designed to work 100% normally followed by a relatively quick catastrophic failure as soon as the level drops too much.

Hearing the Pan certainly stopped my airsickness in a flash.
Woodbinerich likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 1:09 am

TBK is Timber Creek in Australia, which sounds like the home of a Crocodile Dundee sort of character, and TBJ is Tarbarka in Tunisia, apparently used by a single Tunisian airline. Not sure what they have to do with BA so can someone help me please?
Old Jun 1, 2018, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by Greenpen
TBK is Timber Creek in Australia, which sounds like the home of a Crocodile Dundee sort of character, and TBJ is Tarbarka in Tunisia, Not sure what they have to do with BA so can someone help me please?
The names of the hangars at Heathrow; "Technical Block K"
Old Jun 1, 2018, 2:37 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Originally Posted by Crubber
I thought the Cathedral was listed?
TBA south has a form of protection, the brutal 1950s concrete Speedbird motif on the hangar is quite distinctive.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:49 pm

The aircraft has been checked over and is fully airworthy, it’s just a matter of finding time to take the aircraft out of service to be repainted but due to 787 issues there is a shortage of long haul aircraft.

Currently looking at either August or October swapping a 777 paint slot I believe
bhbloke and flyuk like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.