FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Is BA's A320 the worst business class seat in the sky? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1911893-bas-a320-worst-business-class-seat-sky.html)

escape4 Jun 14, 2018 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Misco60 (Post 29820186)
I flew with Swiss just a couple of days ago, between Berlin and Zurich, and disagree that their business product is "clearly better than BA". The seats were marginally less comfortable than BA's, with the middle seat kept free but no table. The meal, on this one-hour flight, was a bit of a joke: a mini-quiche the size of a 5-franc coin, a spoonful of cold chicken curry and a spoonful of mango panna cotta.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...bd8fa66e6c.jpg

I will not argue or disagree with you regarding the meal - I think we are on the same page. I am not impressed by LX's meal either. But if we limit the conversation to the seat only, I am curious to hear why you thought LX was less comfortable than BA. For me the seat pitch difference is noticeable. So there must be something else about the LX seat that did not work for you.

APUBleed Jun 14, 2018 9:21 am

RE: The middle table as a CE differentiator. Isn't this being 'enhanced' away?

Sahay, away middle table.

CMK10 Jul 7, 2018 2:06 pm

It's certainly unpleasant

https://photos.smugmug.com/Travel/Eu...IMG_0730-L.jpg

It's about the same as LH or LX or IB but worse than KLM who gives more pitch and has a more comfortable seat with better recline. Still, if you get a good crew who keeps the Bitter Lemons and Gins coming it's survivable.

PUCCI GALORE Jul 7, 2018 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by france77 (Post 29817849)
It is awful. Can someone explain why there are 3 seats with one blocked off instead of having two large, wide decent sized, proper business class seats? What's the point of the middle one at all?

Yes. The whole point about introducing business class/Club Class Was because first class lost money and over sis. The beauty of this arrangement is that you can turn it into a fuel economy cabin at the drop of a hat , and move the curtain up and back bending on your load. Once upon a time it was three seat each side of the island then it became free one side with a wider seat and to the other. Finally this was introduced and has probably been the most successful.

I do not consider it awful.. I do consider it so clearly the public are prepared to pay for it irrespective of what may be disdained here.

EYrevanchist Jul 20, 2018 10:19 am

Y and J are very different products people.
This thread is extremely depressing to read and I am already a sad enough boy ;) (see: username).
Some of you BAEC members have been brainwashed by Alex Cruz and his predecessors' corporate propaganda to stick with these awful products (CW, CE)
and it just boils my blood.
Y in Europe was challenged by EasyJet, Ryanair - NOT J.
J should be PREMIUM 2X2 Recliners or Flatbeds

FrogTastic Jul 20, 2018 10:24 am

Only real benefits to CE are the non-flight extras, namely priority checkin, boarding, security, lounge access and meals. Once your bum hits the leather, it’s identical as the seat 6 rows back costing £25.

Globaliser Jul 20, 2018 11:04 am

Originally Posted by EYrevanchist (Post 29995012)
J should be PREMIUM 2X2 Recliners or Flatbeds

Maybe you should fly in some other European airline short-haul cabins then? You know, the other airlines which provide flatbeds or recliners on similar routes? After all, other airlines' managements won't have been brainwashed by Alex Cruz and his predecessors.

EYrevanchist Jul 20, 2018 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 29995196)
Maybe you should fly in some other European airline short-haul cabins then? You know, the other airlines which provide flatbeds or recliners on similar routes? After all, other airlines' managements won't have been brainwashed by Alex Cruz and his predecessors.

I think that it is OS that started the practice, but nevertheless.
BA should realise that Premium Pax are PREMIUM and Y pax are not.

jwhite9185 Jul 20, 2018 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 29995196)

My argument entirely when people say how bad BA Club Europe is. The others in Europe aren't much better - with the exception of maybe TK or A3. Although even TK have the convertible Y cabin as J on some routes.

Dave Noble Jul 20, 2018 11:26 am

Originally Posted by jwhite9185 (Post 29995250)
My argument entirely when people say how bad BA Club Europe is. The others in Europe aren't much better - with the exception of maybe TK or A3. Although even TK have the convertible Y cabin as J on some routes.

That others have it in Europe does not make it any better, nor (imo) justify it. Calling economy class seats with an empty seat adjacent to be business class is risible. It doesn't even have the slight benefit it used to have of a convertible seat that makes it wider

Doing that, like NZ does on short flights, of having flexible economy tickets that have designated seating at front of aeroplane with an empty adjacent seat and meals/baggage included would be a lot more honest

Globaliser Jul 20, 2018 11:51 am

Originally Posted by EYrevanchist (Post 29995246)
I think that it is OS that started the practice, but nevertheless.
BA should realise that Premium Pax are PREMIUM and Y pax are not.

The fact that this is what many other airlines do should tell you two things:-
  1. [*]
And even if other BA passengers have been brainwashed, why should that make your blood boil?

Tafflyer Jul 20, 2018 11:55 am

Business class in Europe, not just on BA has become a different product. In days gone by it was always the most expensive ticket on the aircraft and bundled with full flexibility as well as price. Nowadays, it’s a separate product which can sometimes be had for marginal differential or even cheaper than the cheapest available Y seat but with restrictions. For me, it can sometimes be attractive if row 1 is available but generally it is not. But, one thing it definately no longer is, is premium.

Premium these days on short haul travel is priority boarding, fast-track security and lounge access. You normally get that now either with status or by paying for the individual service all depending on the carrier you are flying.

LCY8737 Jul 20, 2018 12:18 pm

Just because "everybody does it" doesn't make it something the OP (and many others) have to like. Granted, this system is probably going to stay around for a very long time, but I am with the OP and others on this thread hoping for change. Not holding my breath though.

subject2load Jul 20, 2018 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 29995277)
That others have it in Europe does not make it any better, nor (imo) justify it. Calling economy class seats with an empty seat adjacent to be business class is risible. It doesn't even have the slight benefit it used to have of a convertible seat that makes it wider ...................................

It is indeed risible. But, in all fairness, I don’t think even those who shell out (their own) hard cash for CE actually consider it a true ‘business’ product worthy of the name, in terms of what is actually provided onboard, versus the (exact same size) ET seats.

EYrevanchist Jul 20, 2018 12:51 pm

I think the most plausible solution is the installation of WTP seats on the a320's in three rows and being sold as J tbh