Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is BA's A320 the worst business class seat in the sky?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is BA's A320 the worst business class seat in the sky?

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2018, 1:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Gig103
Check out KLM - I can't say for all flights but for AMS-TXL we had extra legroom in addition to nobody in the middle seat.
The front 7 rows of the KLM 737 has 3 inches of extra pitch. It is the same seat throughout, middle seat blocked. I am not sure if KLM move the curtain to the same extend as BA, LH and others. if they do then you could be an Economy customer who gets lucky or a business class customer who gets unlucky
Old May 31, 2018, 1:25 am

Try OS (Austrian). They were leaders in the introduction of super economy seats in J. I stopped flying with them. Others at the time were better but not now although some airlines have not installed the very thin hard seat. Only fly European J if cheaper than Y or Y not available.
Old May 31, 2018, 1:31 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by MrAOK
I've flying Business class to Greece from the US[...]
And didn't have to read past this to know what this would be about.

As everyone else has already said, this is the intra-Europe standard. BA is just one of many who do this.

I am quite surprised that this is the first exposure to intra-Europe business class for someone who's been a FTer since 2002.
Old May 31, 2018, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
The front 7 rows of the KLM 737 has 3 inches of extra pitch. It is the same seat throughout, middle seat blocked. I am not sure if KLM move the curtain to the same extend as BA, LH and others. if they do then you could be an Economy customer who gets lucky or a business class customer who gets unlucky
KLM does exactly that. Never seen an occasion where a business class customer got a seat with standard pitch, but most of the time some economy pax will get lucky if all of the regular seats are full when they go to select a seat at check in.
Old May 31, 2018, 1:38 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by YYCCL3
KLM does exactly that. Never seen an occasion where a business class customer got a seat with standard pitch, but most of the time some economy pax will get lucky if all of the regular seats are full when they go to select a seat at check in.
According to the seat map, behind "Europe business" is "Economy comfort" which also has extra pitch. That gives them a few rows to move the curtain, if Europe Business is particularly popular on a flight. It isn't much, but it was definitely welcome compared to the 30-31" of BA's Club Europe.
Old May 31, 2018, 2:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Probably just me – but I really like the A320 series CE seats…

Having short legs means I don't care much about leg room and being a bit wider than average effectively makes the value of the empty middle seat much greater. And I much prefer not being in front row because of the slightly narrower experience of the seat due to the tray tables in the armrests. And I really love the middle seat table and am sorry to hear about it not being there on the neos.

I do however find it rather bothersome if the person behind me has very long legs and is thus forced to have their knees in the back of my seat or if the person in front reclines. But fortunately most people see the sense in not reclining on a short hop.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old May 31, 2018, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by MrAOK
I've flying Business class to Greece from the US and I was astonished to see that one of the flights is an A320 in which every seats in the plane appear to have the exact same width and pitch with the only difference for "Club Europe" being that the middle seat is blocked out.

Am I missing something or is this the worst business class seat in the sky?
Do you mean just one of the flights? If you are flying round trip on BA, then both your London-Greece and Greece-London flights will be in an ‘economy’ type seat, whether it’s an A319/320/321 or B767. All of these are short haul aircraft on BA with short haul configuration.

(There is a very small chance that you could strike lucky and get a mid-haul A321 with proper business class seats but you certainly shouldn’t expect that.)
Old May 31, 2018, 3:25 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
I'd argue the new European business class seats on Air Serbia are far worse
Old May 31, 2018, 3:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by ILikePancakes
No personal experience of Air Serbia, so will happily take your word for it ^

But either way, I doubt there’s much of a marketing campaign to be built on the strapline of
Fly British Airways ..... far better than Air Serbia
Old May 31, 2018, 3:46 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by ILikePancakes
Shame, because the old ones were clearly the best in Europe!
EYrevanchist likes this.
Old May 31, 2018, 3:53 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
I just had a transatlantic F which some humourist had forced to be combined with domestic ET so that the website note said "There is no First Class on this flight so we have booked you into the nearest equivalent". On reflection I decided that this made sense as I could then get an exit row. Unfortunately I chose row 10 on a 319 and they subbed a 320, however I still had an empty seat next to me so the seat was no worse than CE.
Old May 31, 2018, 4:02 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by madfish

Which is usually much better than what is available on the US flights I have flown on. That is when you are lucky enough to get a meal rather a packet of crisps.

Although I will concede that I do like that AA serve a drink whilst boarding.
I agree with the first but not the second statement. Go over to the AA Forum and youll that as often as not they dont. By “they”, i mean thst the Flight Attendants simply cant be assed as theyre not paod for it as theyre not paid until they’re airbourne.

As far as the seat is concerned, Calum has his opinion, I have mine. I love the middle sest being unsold and not having to put up with people encroaching on my space with their sheer corpulance. Oh, and as for the meal, youll get one of those and they’re not at all bad these days. This is Europe and not the USA, the majoritymof people have paid one way or another to be there and are not fighting for upgrades at the gate.
Calchas, THO and Mordac like this.
Old May 31, 2018, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
What you are referring to here is SAS Plus (and yes, you can argue that calling it Minus would be more fitting), which is a Premium Economy product only.
[Bolding mine]

...and which, still, is often way more more expensive than other carriers and doesn't even grant lounge access (and fast track) at non-hub airports (on top of the middle seat and the cube you get served as 'meal'). In short, 250 GBP from Birmingham to Copenhagen will not give you lounge access and I'm not even sure about fast track (with status for sure but I'm not sure if that applies to Plus).

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
Same on AZ (32S & E-Jets regardless), the first few rows are marked as 'extra comfort' and have a slightly better legroom.

G
Old May 31, 2018, 4:29 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
[Bolding mine]

...and which, still, is often way more more expensive than other carriers and doesn't even grant lounge access (and fast track) at non-hub airports (on top of the middle seat and the cube you get served as 'meal'). In short, 250 GBP from Birmingham to Copenhagen will not give you lounge access and I'm not even sure about fast track (with status for sure but I'm not sure if that applies to Plus).
That is very true - it is a very poor product. Basically what they did was remove business class but maintain the same prices. When I was frequenting CPH-MAN that was often close to 1,000 GBP which, as you say, is more than business in the old days.... But the key is, that it falls within many companies' travel policies by being "premium economy" - have to give SAS credit for being smart on that one........
Old May 31, 2018, 4:33 am

Originally Posted by Greenpen
Try OS (Austrian). They were leaders in the introduction of super economy seats in J. I stopped flying with them. Others at the time were better but not now although some airlines have not installed the very thin hard seat. Only fly European J if cheaper than Y or Y not available.
Way OT but, on the other hand, they probably have the best product in terms of on-board catering (short/medium haul, I have little or no experience with their long-haul product). I fly OS quite a lot as they are amongst the very few carriers serving Sarajevo/Pristina and truly enjoy the business class experience, even on such short hops.

G
ajamieson likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.