Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA vs BA in Y - comparision.

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2018, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

AA vs BA in Y - comparision.

As a loyal BA customer, i have been using BA for the past 6 years for my bi annual trips to the US. This past month, due to price, i decided to fly out with AA and come back with BA. Oh my goodness. I do not know why i had been avoiding AA for so long!

They are a far far superior airline to the BA in this class. The fact that you can change your seats from the moment you book, the seats are more comfortable with what felt like more room, the IFA is decades ahead of the BA system,, the food was actually delicious and we had 2 meals and the whole flight was a far more pleasurable experience.

Coming back i was reminded how BA was worse. The seats are cramped (i am 5'1 and was sat next to someone of average height and weight and felt like i was sat on top of him), they are uncomfortable, the IFA was glitchy, the food was terrible (they have bought back crackers but spreadable cheese? LOL), i wasnt given breakfast....

i dont know if the 4 extra centimeters on the cabin bag is worth me going on BA anymore as the price is the same and AA is far better as a Y passenger.

I think BA just lost a loyal customer.
Old May 29, 2018, 6:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Sounds good, especially the free seat selection which would be enough to swing it for me.
mrow and eugegall like this.
Old May 29, 2018, 6:49 pm

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum
There's no doubt that AA long-haul are much improved.

Consistency is the challenge with BA as with all airlines. You mention the inflight entertainment. That can actually be really good on BA or completely shocking depending on the exact aircraft. Assuming you flew via London AA use their best planes so you will do ok but if you fly e.g. to Edinburgh on an AA 757 you might have a different experience (overhead monitors I think).

BA has improved too recently albeit from a low base and from mistakes of their own making (those Mars Bar second meals). Breakfast in Y or W is still abysmal.

Still, I remember when I started flying seriously how hard I used to try to avoid AA yet stay in policy. BA Club World was the bees knees and you either had their pre-flight dining or cubes of cheese in the Admirals Club. Those days are a distant memory now.
mrow likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 5:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by rather_be_on_a_griffin
Assuming you flew via London AA use their best planes so you will do ok but if you fly e.g. to Edinburgh on an AA 757 you might have a different experience (overhead monitors I think).
I had the ‘pleasure’ two years ago to the day of being re-routed onto an AA 757 due to IRROPS. Was originally RIC-PHL-LHR-EDI, ended up with a hotel followed by RIC-CLT-JFK-EDI.

First thing that that struck me on boarding the 757 is that it was OLD! Nasty threadbare cloth seats that could do with a good steam clean, power sockets didn’t work and a TV in the roof that looked like it had come from a repressed memory of a 1980s school coach trip I’d forgotten about! (I swear it was a CRT TV).

Now being a glutton for punishment I flew EDI-JFK last month, as it gave a decent connection and arrival time on to ORF. The planes have been refurbished with leather seats, the TV in the sky has now been updated to something with 21st century resolution and you can now stream content to your phone / tablet (seemed a pared down selection of what AA offer on seat back in their wide-bodies). Was more than adequate for the short hop in my opinion. As a BA Silver I could book 10A at no cost for unlimited legroom - not so much of an issue for me at 5’6(and a half) but I tend to get claustrophobic in window seats when there’s two seats to get to the aisle. Food was fine for Y but the trays are tiny, ended up storing the water, cheese and crackers on my lap just to get some room to manoeuvre!
Old May 30, 2018, 5:46 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Whatever you do don't fly the AA 757 GLA-PHL.
My god. Worst bird I have ever been on. Amazed it has a certificate of air worthiness! Bloody expensive route too!
Old May 30, 2018, 5:53 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The big benefit of flying AA Y vs. BA if you've elite status is the extra legroom seats in MCE. They outweigh pretty much any other possible factor.
EDIwanderer and GaxxyFlyer like this.
Old May 30, 2018, 6:01 am

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum
Glad to hear the Edinburgh 757 has had a makeover because I’ll be on it in September. Unfortunately with kids so the nice exit rows at the front are out. Of the question.

Interestingly in the revised 77W config there are twin MCE seats in the middle of the plane that are not exits so I’m giving those a spin on the way back (from London).

The other huge boon of AA for me has been Pre-Check, Flagship Lounge, T3 lounges (CX). AA Y with status is not half bad
Old May 30, 2018, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
Whatever you do don't fly the AA 757 GLA-PHL.
My god. Worst bird I have ever been on. Amazed it has a certificate of air worthiness! Bloody expensive route too!
This ex-US Airways route is awful! I would rather fly BA Y than AA Y or J on this route.
Old May 30, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
As always it depends what you value. Status can certainly change things as you get generally book the bulkhead, or get MCE on AA. Im surprised about the OPs comments on space though, as AA is now a 10 across operation all their 777s. Upstairs on a BA380 is an all-round better proposition.

MCE is a good perk on AA, and I like the individual air vents.

The food is much of a muchness; AA dispense large sodas but are a bit mean with liquor (having said that I didn't pay last time and I'm not sure why).

Overall now I just pick the best price and schedule and don't really mind either, whereas I'd avoid AA until recently. But I don't know how one could conclude either to be a "Far better Airline" over the other.
Old May 30, 2018, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by F10GLA
This ex-US Airways route is awful! I would rather fly BA Y than AA Y or J on this route.
I would rather fly in Ryan Air, with 3 stag do's on board, around the world three times than have to endure that route again. Horrific.
Old May 30, 2018, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
3-4-3 seating on AA 777s = avoid! I thought the 787 was cramped as well.
Old May 30, 2018, 8:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Rather than comparing AA to BA, better to list out what is important to you, including of course, cost & schedule

1. Seat (width & pitch).
2. Selection and when selected.
3. Food
4. Liquor
5. Entertainment / WiFi

AA makes no bones about the fact that it puts its better aircraft on more profitable routes. You can expect a better experience JFK-LHR than PHL-GLA. Whether that makes it worth flying to GLA with a connection at LON is a matter or personal preference.

For most, this all begins and ends with cost & convenience.
Old May 30, 2018, 8:30 am
Original Poster

As someone that has no status whatsoever I do not get any benefits.

As a Y no status traveller, LHr - JFK was amazing on AA.
Old May 30, 2018, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Often1
You can expect a better experience JFK-LHR than PHL-GLA. Whether that makes it worth flying to GLA with a connection at LON is a matter or personal preference.
Unquestionably so. And I regularly do.
Old May 30, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Flying AA in Y inside the US is great too. With OW status it seems you can get the extra-legroom Y seats for free, which are sort of halfway between BA Y and W longhaul, and better seat pitch than ET/CW seats (apart from exit/bulkhead of course).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.