Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Live disruption: AMS flights tonight - realistic to depart?

Old May 29, 18, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver

An unfortunate day of disruption for me trying to get to a meeting in Eindhoven tomorrow at 1030. Sitting in galleries satellite B trying to decide whether to stick it out or cut my losses and go home

Originally scheduled on BA 8459 LCY-AMS at 1705, that got cancelled at around 1400.

Transferred to BA442 LHR-AMS. After a record breaking journey from Canary Wharf to LHR (<1hr thanks to train luck and sprinting), got to LHR with time to spare. En route the arrival time showed delayed 2233 but at the lounge this disappeared and told to go to B42. As I arrive at the gate, Pre-boarding showed on the screens, then returned to go to gate, then cancelled due to weather in AMS.

I went to the lounge to consider my options and get a text / email offering me BA444 which I accept on the app. After accepting it shows delayed until 2104 but the app now shows estimated arrival 0203! Not sure what they intend to do with us in the interim nor whether such a timing is even possible with LHR (and possibly AMS) curfews.

So I ask my fellow FTers as I enjoy a well earned drink in Satellite B lounge, what would you do? Seems like my flight is in jeopardy given unrealistic arrival time, should I just cut and run? What happens to refund if I do so? Or should I stick it out and expect an improved arrival time.
Old May 29, 18, 1:08 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
They will want to get this flight through since they would want the crew to night stop there as well as have another flight crew inbound on the morning service - and thus the aircraft back in service. So my presumption would be this flight will operate.

Personally I'd be chatting up the lounge agent and asking whether they would entertain rebooking you to the morning [when there could still be issues] and giving you accommodation.
27Liam likes this.
Old May 29, 18, 1:08 pm

Sounds less than pleasant. Can't help on the specifics at LHR, but I am sat in SOU at the moment listening to a litany of AMS related announcements. Both KL and BE services to AMS have been delayed this evening by at least 2 hrs, with several updates on slots being pushed further back. Apparently there are flow restrictions on the south coast affecting SOU and also flow restrictions into AMS, so I would not be surprised if you see departure time slide a little further.

Hope you are at least enjoying said well earned drink...
27Liam likes this.
Old May 29, 18, 1:09 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond etc
Originally Posted by 27Liam View Post
An unfortunate day of disruption for me trying to get to a meeting in Eindhoven tomorrow at 1030. Sitting in galleries satellite B trying to decide whether to stick it out or cut my losses and go home

Originally scheduled on BA 8459 LCY-AMS at 1705, that got cancelled at around 1400.

Transferred to BA442 LHR-AMS. After a record breaking journey from Canary Wharf to LHR (<1hr thanks to train luck and sprinting), got to LHR with time to spare. En route the arrival time showed delayed 2233 but at the lounge this disappeared and told to go to B42. As I arrive at the gate, Pre-boarding showed on the screens, then returned to go to gate, then cancelled due to weather in AMS.

I went to the lounge to consider my options and get a text / email offering me BA444 which I accept on the app. After accepting it shows delayed until 2104 but the app now shows estimated arrival 0203! Not sure what they intend to do with us in the interim nor whether such a timing is even possible with LHR (and possibly AMS) curfews.

So I ask my fellow FTers as I enjoy a well earned drink in Satellite B lounge, what would you do? Seems like my flight is in jeopardy given unrealistic arrival time, should I just cut and run? What happens to refund if I do so? Or should I stick it out and expect an improved arrival time.

Sitting here at AMS airport (with a two hour delay) and loads of delays and cancellations, almost everything is red on the screens. There were many thunderstorms in the area. Things seem to be clearing up but there will be a knock on effect. Hope your flight gets moved forward somewhat.
27Liam likes this.
Old May 29, 18, 1:11 pm

Programs: BA
From what I see it's operating and your inbound aircraft is airborne. There have been a few cancellations on the route today. This is a very busy flight so my guess is they will try not to cancel but I'm not making any promises. It's also the last flight so it will misplace aircraft for tomorrow's schedule.
27Liam likes this.
Old May 29, 18, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
Your flight will be needed to operate the first flight back tomorrow so I think you have a good chance of getting away.

Interestingly you are showing a departure time of 2220 (not too bad) but an arrival of 0203, meaning they are thinking the flight will last 245 !
27Liam likes this.
Old May 29, 18, 1:17 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG PLT (LT Gold), TK Gold, M&M S, BA Silver, Hyatt Dia
Pretty lively tonight

https://www.lightningmaps.org/?lang=...c=0;y=52.2473;
27Liam likes this.
Old May 29, 18, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA EP 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
It's not looking good for most of the Netherlands: https://www.buienradar.nl/nederland/...waarschuwingen

Google translation (with a bit of fixup from me):
"In the north and west of the country code orange warning is in force due to heavy thunderstorms. Rainshowers with heavy localised rain (50 mm / h) with flooding as a result. There is also a chance localised strong wind gusts of 75 km / h and hail. Elsewhere warning is in effect for thunderstorms. Even with these is a chance of heavy rain (30-50 mm / h), strong wind gusts (60-75 km / h) and hail. Over the next few hours the showers will decrease in activity."

For North Holland (the province, i.e. including Amsterdam)

"Code Orange: Thunderstorms from 29/05 20:00 to 29/05 22:00
Thunderstorms with a lot of rain (50 mm / h) and water flooding as a result.There is also a local chance of heavy gusts of 75 km / h and large hailstones of about 2 cm.

Code Yellow: Thunderstorms from 29/05 22:00 to 29/05 23:00
Chance of thunderstorms, possibly with hail, wind gusts and a lot of rain in a short time."

You wouldn't want to be out and about in that. Damage from 2cm hailstomes in 75km/h wind isn't necessarily just going buff out or be fixed with some speed tape.

My Dutch colleagues report a mad dash to get home before that. One delayed a conference call with me and reported it was "intense" cycling home with everyone else who got the same warning at the same time (via their weather apps), no quarter given on the roads.

Originally Posted by ScruttonStreet View Post
Interestingly you are showing a departure time of 2220 (not too bad) but an arrival of 0203, meaning they are thinking the flight will last 2’45” !
Prepare for one of those Amsterdam ground holds. I hope they've got a resilient bum and a good supply of entertainment, they may be in that Cruz-ified seat for a while!

When they get to Amsterdam, the trains may or may not be running, NS being about as weather-resistant as Schiphol.
27Liam likes this.
Old May 29, 18, 1:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold CCR / GGL 11 months till Lifetime Gold
I would wait and relax, unless it will make you too tired to attend the meeting. That case I'd go home.

Otherwise just hang out and if it gets cancelled try the hotel for a night and catch a flight in the morning, that's if your meeting can be changed of course.
27Liam likes this.
Old May 29, 18, 1:40 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

I have just arrived at AMS (about 45mins ago, from ZRH) - over 2hrs departure delay but made up some time enroute. Fantastic cloud formations to be seen this evening, but that will be of little consolation for stranded travelers.

Indeed, as @Upupintheair reports, Schiphol tonight (certainly in the Schengen area) resembles somewhat of a less than desirable place to spend any length of time. The rebooking lines are long, actually very long, with some frustrated souls. It looks like a long night ahead, and with a departure board that is a sea of red, it will take a small miracle to catch-up quickly.

Thankfully, I was lucky to just catch an awaiting IC to Rotterdam to get me out of there swiftly.

Good luck to those in AMS or those trying to get there!
golfmad and 27Liam like this.
Old May 29, 18, 1:46 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by jamespi View Post
Sounds less than pleasant. Can't help on the specifics at LHR, but I am sat in SOU at the moment listening to a litany of AMS related announcements. Both KL and BE services to AMS have been delayed this evening by at least 2 hrs, with several updates on slots being pushed further back. Apparently there are flow restrictions on the south coast affecting SOU and also flow restrictions into AMS, so I would not be surprised if you see departure time slide a little further.

Hope you are at least enjoying said well earned drink...
My young daughter is on the Flybe one from SOU to AMS originally to depart at 18:00. Anxious dad is at home not happy that his daughter will be catching a late train to Amsterdam CS and then having to get across the city. Latest news she tells me is at departure time of 21:30 local time so arrival into AMS at 23:30 earliest I think...
27Liam likes this.
Old May 29, 18, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the very helpful replies as always. Spoke to the lounge agent - reckons that AMS is the problem and they are giving take off slots with 2.5 hours delay as has been suggested here. The 0203 arrival has been moved up to 0129 but essentially the difference in flight time will be us boarded, doors closed and siting there waiting for AMS to clear us in the hope it moves up.

In the meantime BA8457, the LCY departure directly after mine, has been cancelled in last few minutes (originally showing 3 hr ish delay). Not sure if that has any relevance to my situation.

Considering my final options now, as this looks very much like a reasonably probability of cancellation given weather at AMS and reliance on waiver of curfews. Even if it goes, the prospect of 3h sleep after inevitable delays doesn’t bode well.
Old May 29, 18, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
I'm not sure how important this meeting is, but I'd cut my losses and get home and reschedule. Sometimes you just need to re-evaluate the big picture.
Old May 29, 18, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA EP 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
If that flight is cancelled you've got basically no hope on BA. Only an 06:00 departure, not too delayed, from STN or LGW on Easyjet will get you to a Dutch airport in time to get to Eindhoven on the train by 10:30. If one of those flights is too delayed you're going to hate yourself for getting up at 04:00 to go to the airport.

You have to ask yourself, how important is that meeting?
27Liam likes this.
Old May 29, 18, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by BOH View Post
My young daughter is on the Flybe one from SOU to AMS originally to depart at 18:00. Anxious dad is at home not happy that his daughter will be catching a late train to Amsterdam CS and then having to get across the city. Latest news she tells me is at departure time of 21:30 local time so arrival into AMS at 23:30 earliest I think...
Hope she gets there OK, it was still showing 21.00 when I left for GLA, with another rounded refreshment vouchers being issued.
27Liam likes this.

Search this Thread