Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Terrible Service in FIRST ATL-LHR 27/05/18

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2018, 7:53 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
There have been some service issues that turned out to be caused for what I think are pretty good reason on various airlines including BA, most of which have been medical issues on board that required a number of crew members' attention.

I'm certainly not saying that this was the case on the OP's flight but in my experience in a lot of cases crew members are quite discreet and simply said they became short staffed (in one of the cases the ill person was actually a crew member - so that would be a rather direct cause) but they told me why when probed a little further.

In some others there were things like major spillage that needed to be cleaned up before someone slipped over etc.

I'm not justifying bad service but there could have been reasons behind it.
pmcg likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 9:19 pm

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I'm not justifying bad service but there could have been reasons behind it.
Absolutely, and most of us onboard do have empathy, so, if there's an emergency, I personally would appreciate a member of crew giving a heads-up that service will be slow / spotty because of a medical emergency onboard. But honestly, with multiple accounts of poor service in F (experienced first hand on two flights), I don't believe this can be explained by regular medical issues onboard. More likely a lack of motivation and low morale.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 5:02 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by pmcg
It's easier said than done, you as a passenger are there to relax, enjoy the "service" and the experience, not run around the aircraft looking for the CSD.
So you should, but by your account, you cannot have been. The CSD/M is never far away and you only have to ask another crew member in case they had gone on the Flightdeck (on the 747) without you seeing. It's easier done than said.I'm afraid that I would have gone and told her/him straight. Of course you should not have to - I'd be hopping mad, but I'd rather get back to enjoying what I'd paid for rather than having to report it on here.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 5:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by luitje

.................................... But honestly, with multiple accounts of poor service in F (experienced first hand on two flights), I don't believe this can be explained by regular medical issues onboard. More likely a lack of motivation and low morale.
Have you by chance been reading the results of a certain recently-published staff survey .......... ?
PUCCI GALORE, pmcg and mikeyfly like this.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by luitje
Absolutely, and most of us onboard do have empathy, so, if there's an emergency, I personally would appreciate a member of crew giving a heads-up that service will be slow / spotty because of a medical emergency onboard.
On a recent occasion when the service in F simply ground to a halt for about an hour, this is what I would have appreciated. One of the F crew had to go back to help with the medical emergency, and the CSM was down there too. I wouldn't have expected anything to be done instantly about telling us, but at some stage during the first 15-20 minutes, one of the two remaining crew could have spent a couple of minutes coming through the cabin to apologise for and explain the delay. We all knew there was a medical emergency down the back, so I think everyone would have been content with that. I suspect that this may be down to the nous of the people involved on the day.
pmcg likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Often1
A bit confusing. Did OP really just sit there for 90 minutes when his drink did not arrive? It would seem that after 5 or perhaps 10 minutes, one pushes the call button, flags down another crew member, or walks up to the galley. Same thing with the bed makeup, OP was asked to advise the crew when ready, but apparently didn't.

Not suggesting that it's the best service, but if it's important to one, the best time to deal with it is on the spot.
exactly. OP said he waited 30 minutes. I would have been touching the flight attendant button after 5 minutes not to mention this is an F cabin on an international flight.

OP: you need to speak up, not just sit there.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Centurion - BA Silver - IHG Diamond Elite - HHonors Diamond - M&M
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
So you should, but by your account, you cannot have been. The CSD/M is never far away and you only have to ask another crew member in case they had gone on the Flightdeck (on the 747) without you seeing. It's easier done than said.I'm afraid that I would have gone and told her/him straight. Of course you should not have to - I'd be hopping mad, but I'd rather get back to enjoying what I'd paid for rather than having to report it on here.
It's one of those things though, you sit and wait and think, any minute now, any minute now then the polite British way kicks in and you start thinking of "others in more need" for reasons mentioned earlier..

I'm just that little bit wary of going over the head of the person that is serving me whilst I still have to be served.
OK, i know I didn't get anything again but did expect to.

For now I will just put this one down to bad luck for whatever reason and move on.
Certainly wont stop me using BA in J or F or any other class, these things happen and I've had some wonderful crew on occasions that could not do enough for you.

It's a bit like going on holiday to "XYZ" and a friend saying that "people are ignorant there", people can be that way everywhere and its just like bad service, it happens.
I'm starting to babble now, must be the afternoon out with the kids and a couple of "refreshments".
PUCCI GALORE likes this.

Last edited by pmcg; Jun 17, 2018 at 3:39 pm
Old Jun 17, 2018, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Centurion - BA Silver - IHG Diamond Elite - HHonors Diamond - M&M
Originally Posted by Globaliser
On a recent occasion when the service in F simply ground to a halt for about an hour, this is what I would have appreciated. One of the F crew had to go back to help with the medical emergency, and the CSM was down there too. I wouldn't have expected anything to be done instantly about telling us, but at some stage during the first 15-20 minutes, one of the two remaining crew could have spent a couple of minutes coming through the cabin to apologise for and explain the delay.
That seems logical and keeps everyone aware of situation regarding the delay to service.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enviroian
exactly. OP said he waited 30 minutes. I would have been touching the flight attendant button after 5 minutes not to mention this is an F cabin on an international flight.

OP: you need to speak up, not just sit there.
I did, I ordered a drink, the chap disappeared with no delivery of said drink.
An hour and a half later when a female Flight Attendant did a round of the cabin "checking passengers" i brought it to her attention.

OK, I didn't use the call button but we have covered that one and it's F at the end of the day, raising your hand should be all that is required.

Last edited by pmcg; Jun 17, 2018 at 3:41 pm
Old Jun 18, 2018, 10:41 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by pmcg
It's one of those things though, you sit and wait and think, any minute now, any minute now then the polite British way kicks in and you start thinking of "others in more need" for reasons mentioned earlier..

I'm just that little bit wary of going over the head of the person that is serving me whilst I still have to be served.

I'm starting to babble now, must be the afternoon out with the kids and a couple of "refreshments".
I think that is a very healthy way to look at this - I do understand about the waiting. I read things like this and think of my training to go into F and am shocked at what passes for service sometimes.
pmcg likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.