Terrible Service in FIRST ATL-LHR 27/05/18

Old May 29, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
I've had my fair share of self made beds in F. It's not as difficult as the crew make it look. Though I'm sure CIHY would be a lot better at it than me.

Seriously... It shouldn't happen, but I find making my own bed and getting my own drinks from the galley is a quick fix that helps me get on with my life...
flygirl68 and LTN Phobia like this.
Old May 29, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Had to read through this report twice to assure myself that I wasnt imagining things.

So far below the standard to be expected of First class on ANY airline that it truly beggars belief.
Old May 29, 2018, 2:43 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Presumably this is supposed to be the very best that BA has to offer.

If there's any proactivity being required, I'd expect it would be on the part of the crew, not the passengers.
Old May 29, 2018, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
If a customer has to use a call bell in First I would feel that I had failed, I have always encouraged everyone to use their call bell as that is what is there for but in First it should not be necessary.
Old May 29, 2018, 2:53 pm

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
As if in perfect contrast, I've just come off an LHR-DXB in F which had a superb crew.

Attentive, proactive, chatty in a good way. Led by a brilliant CSD whose welcome was as funny as some stand-up routines. And capable of heating up my beef without ruining it

Visit to ba.com/welldone already completed !

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life
Originally Posted by ibmman69
Gotta be careful when you suggest passengers stand up for themselves in the BA forum.
Come on. This isn't a playground.
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by V10
Presumably this is supposed to be the very best that BA has to offer.

Quite the opposite. It looks like a service failure
crazyarmadillo and Tobias-UK like this.
Old May 29, 2018, 2:54 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by golfmad
Is this not a valid aspiration for the F cabin?
Old May 29, 2018, 3:25 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
This does sound like a significant service failure and I have sympathy with the OP. On an overnight flight from ATL I would want to sleep for as long as possible so any significant delays would be very disappointing. If it had been me I would probably have made up my own bed and gone to sleep in order to reduce the impact. Nonetheless it should be reported so that it can be investigated especially as it seems to have affected a number of people in the cabin.

It would be interested to hear back from the OP assuming that a complaint is lodged.
pmcg likes this.
Old May 29, 2018, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Centurion - BA Silver - IHG Diamond Elite - HHonors Diamond - M&M
Originally Posted by Often1
A bit confusing. Did OP really just sit there for 90 minutes when his drink did not arrive?
Yes you got it, I'm one of those that would only use the call button if I really needed to.

Thing was the crew seeemd to have gone missing so I was thinking perhaps they were dealing with an incident.
The very odd time a member passed on the aisle they purposely did not make any eye contact with passengers.

We all know it's usual for a crew member to come round and make eye contact with passengers to see if they need anything, this is what happened at around 90 minutes with a different crew member than previous.
Old May 29, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by golfmad
Quite the opposite. It looks like a service failure
It was indeed a service failure, but F should be the best money can buy. Clearly, in this case it wasn't. I think the sentiment was "This is the best BA can do?"
Old May 29, 2018, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Centurion - BA Silver - IHG Diamond Elite - HHonors Diamond - M&M
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
pmcg - what reason did the CSM give when you complained?

The total lack of breakfast service in particular seems shocking.
He just explained that the level of service should not be like that but didn't offer any explanation.
I suggested to him that it was perhaps a young inexperienced crew but he did not agree or disagree.

The breakfast thing was quite shocking, lady in 1K complained as she wanted breakfast but by the time they raised windows and cabin lights it was too late, had a chat to her in the Concorde room and she said it was shocking and was off to write a complaint.

If we didn't have ~3 hour layover we probably would have been the same but we had enough time to shower and eat in the lounge.

Another thing that happened in flight was a flight attendant coming from first into the toilet/galley area when the curtains were shut.
She did this just as my wife was coming out the toilet and hit her with a metal tray she was carrying leaving here with a big bruise on her arm.
I'm not cabin crew but even I know to check what's at the other side of the curtain and to watch when coming out the toilet.
Old May 29, 2018, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Can I help you
If a customer has to use a call bell in First I would feel that I had failed, I have always encouraged everyone to use their call bell as that is what is there for but in First it should not be necessary.
Exactly, I've never had to use it before so why now.

Think the conclusion is correct, just a lazy crew.
Old May 29, 2018, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by pmcg
He just explained that the level of service should not be like that but didn't offer any explanation.
I suggested to him that it was perhaps a young inexperienced crew but he did not agree or disagree.

The breakfast thing was quite shocking, lady in 1K complained as she wanted breakfast but by the time they raised windows and cabin lights it was too late, had a chat to her in the Concorde room and she said it was shocking and was off to write a complaint.

If we didn't have ~3 hour layover we probably would have been the same but we had enough time to shower and eat in the lounge.

Another thing that happened in flight was a flight attendant coming from first into the toilet/galley area when the curtains were shut.
She did this just as my wife was coming out the toilet and hit her with a metal tray she was carrying leaving here with a big bruise on her arm.
I'm not cabin crew but even I know to check what's at the other side of the curtain and to watch when coming out the toilet.
did she apologise? Im interested to know what the CSM replied to all the customers complaining onboard sorry if Ive missed this earlier in the thread

my advice would be to sent BA a DM on twitter asking them to call you and dont give much detail. The twitter team also handle cr issues and it would be best to discuss it with them in detail - they are also authorised to give service recovery
Old May 29, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by pmcg

Think the conclusion is correct, just a lazy crew.
It seems extremely difficult to come to any more favourable conclusion.

I’m often bemused to see talk of “young, experienced crew” on threads describing major service failures, and put forward as though it could potentially be a valid explanation.

Had I received the exact standard of service related by the OP (in either a business or first class cabin), my own first thoughts would not be that the crew were young and experienced, but that they were incompetent, discourteous - and should be in a totally different job ; preferably, nothing to do with the hospitality sector.

pmcg likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.