Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Looking at avios flights. price still madness...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking at avios flights. price still madness...

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2018, 4:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Originally Posted by RollAnotherFatOne
Many people here are staff or with long BA associations, so don't take offence if people are prickly, it's only natural and common place here when someone goes against the grain.
I have no issue with BA staff. To me they are unquestionably the best in the world. (Always have been).
I am only critical of hard product or board level operational decisions where and when appropriate. Which I think is fair. If you ask "100 Joe public" I think you will find a lot of the same gripes I have (8 across business class, BOB and various other "enhancements" to service). I will try and keep those complaints to a minimum to keep the peace then.
Old May 29, 2018, 4:27 am

First rule of the game - don't redeem Avois for longhaul Y.

(except in exceptional circumstances - e.g. same day of travel requirement)
cupsandsaucers likes this.
Old May 29, 2018, 4:27 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Credit your flights to AA, often more useful than Avios.
Old May 29, 2018, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
I have no issue with BA staff. To me they are unquestionably the best in the world. (Always have been).
I am only critical of hard product or board level operational decisions where and when appropriate. Which I think is fair. If you ask "100 Joe public" I think you will find a lot of the same gripes I have (8 across business class, BOB and various other "enhancements" to service). I will try and keep those complaints to a minimum to keep the peace then.
I wouldn't. The wasps nest needs a poke with a stick from time to time.
nivsy likes this.
Old May 29, 2018, 4:29 am
Original Poster

*Still working my way through guide.
Quick question. Is booking CW trip and upgrading to F with Avios a good (or better) use case? That would make for a special trip and only cost a CW seat (I assume).
Old May 29, 2018, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Quick question. Is booking CW trip and upgrading to F with Avios a good (or better) use case? That would make for a special trip and only cost a CW seat (I assume).
Excellent use - and a short flight like LHR-JFK I'd only use it outbound and stick to Club / Business on AA on the return
Old May 29, 2018, 4:36 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
It really would be an excellent use of Avios in most cases (especially between LHR and JFK because both airports have the Concorde Room Lounge). I think the general consensus is that for the best value of your Avios an upgrade from WT+ to CW tends to steal the show, but CW-F isn't far behind. Remember too that if upgrading with Avios, you still earn the avios and tier points of the base fare, which is nice.
rossmacd likes this.
Old May 29, 2018, 4:37 am

Programs: BA Pyrite
Is booking CW trip and upgrading to F with Avios a good (or better) use case?
One of the best use cases in my opinion. Yes, it just costs the CW fare. The JFK route is one of the easiest to do this on as the number of daily flights results in reasonable reward availability in First.

The other good use is for shorthaul Reward Flight Saver (RFS.) There's a section in the guide on that too.
Old May 29, 2018, 4:38 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Excellent use - and a short flight like LHR-JFK I'd only use it outbound and stick to Club / Business on AA on the return
Indeed this is an important point to make. Because you are travelling on a "Peak" day, the cost is the same on BA as it is on AA. If you would like to try and get on an AA service for the same price, you'll need to ring BA up as AA redemptions are not showing on ba.com at the moment.
Old May 29, 2018, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
The benefit of J-F is that you can buy the J from a non LON starting point to save some £££ and also you don't usually have any additional taxes to pay. When WT+ to CW there will often be towards £150 extra taxes per person for a return route. This can narrow the price of WT+ and the exEU price of J
Old May 29, 2018, 4:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
The benefit of J-F is that you can buy the J from a non LON starting point to save some £££ and also you don't usually have any additional taxes to pay. When WT+ to CW there will often be towards £150 extra taxes per person for a return route. This can narrow the price of WT+ and the exEU price of J
I would be starting in GLA anyway so that's handy.
Old May 29, 2018, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA0197
Indeed this is an important point to make. Because you are travelling on a "Peak" day, the cost is the same on BA as it is on AA. If you would like to try and get on an AA service for the same price, you'll need to ring BA up as AA redemptions are not showing on ba.com at the moment.
Why is AA cheaper than BA?
Old May 29, 2018, 4:47 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
And if you can get a train to INV that can lead to some exceptional CW fares.
Old May 29, 2018, 4:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cymro
And if you can get a train to INV that can lead to some exceptional CW fares.
That would be a bit much with a 3 year old in tow.
Also, and I know its a hot potato... but I don't *really agree with kids in F / CCR. So maybe will save my Avios for if the wife and I alone go away.
Old May 29, 2018, 4:50 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
There is perhaps a minor misunderstanding here. A GLA starting point is unlikely to save you much money, although sometimes depending on route, it won't cost you much/any more.

Staring at Inverness (INV) will save you some taxes, due to an exemption INV enjoys.

Starting outside the UK, a so called ex-EU can sometimes save you significant amounts. As an example, I've just booked a WTP across the pond ex-GLA that has cost me £1100. If I had started in Dublin, the same transatlantic flights would have been £730.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.