Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UK only immigration queues in LHR T5?

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2018, 5:08 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by hypercrypt
Wow, is that list not a set of which membership can be checked in constant time?!
I can tell HMRC how to create an index on their database table for a very reasonable consultancy fee....

Originally Posted by tedcruz
Flew back form FRA yesterday and my friend with a Danish passport was directed to the counters. As there was queue he movd over to automated and it did'nt work.
Danish passports work just fine in the e-gates as long as their chip isn't broken. The Danes continue to use a rigid piece of plastic for the photo / data / chip page and it's easy to bend it enough to crack the antenna then the chip doesn't work. If your friend has this problem often, he should inspect his passport photo page very carefully against a bright light to check for cracks and get the passport replaced if it is cracked. UK Border officers get more and more obstructive the longer you use a broken Danish passport even if it's completely valid.

Originally Posted by shefgab
Could it possibly be the area for UK/(Ireland) connections, rather than UK passports? IIRC that is separate from the main bank of machines....I might be thinking about a different terminal/era though.
+1

UK/Ireland connections, for any passport holder, is indeed a separate little section of e-gate and counter.
Old May 29, 2018, 5:10 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by shefgab
Could it possibly be the area for UK/(Ireland) connections, rather than UK passports? IIRC that is separate from the main bank of machines....I might be thinking about a different terminal/era though.
there is a separate immigration area for UK/DUB connections but that is similar split with e-passport gates for UK/EU/EEA and a line for immigration officers for all others.

Last edited by KARFA; May 29, 2018 at 7:30 am
Old May 29, 2018, 5:10 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by hypercrypt
Wow, is that list not a set of which membership can be checked in constant time?!
We are talking a low number of seconds here.
Old May 29, 2018, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The check for the Warning Index (people that the Border Force or Police would like to meet and greet) takes longer for Brits since there are mainly UK passport holders on that list.
Interesting! I had thought it odd that I always seem to get through slightly quicker with Registered Traveller and a US passport than those with UK passports do. Now I know why.
Old May 29, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: Executive Club Silver, Kestrelflyer Silver, FlyingBlue & Expedia+
All Passports UK/EU/EEA can use any lane of the automatic machines as long as the passport has the chip logo on it. Very unlikely they would be separated unless it was one of those odd occasions on that day. That being said it would be very odd!
Old May 29, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA LTG, Hilton Diamond, FB Platinum, EK Gold
Tried to use the e-gates at CDG last week and was informed it was only for French, German and I think Dutch and/or Belgian passport holders and the UK was directed to the kiosks. I thought this was very odd as I believe you only need the chip from any EU/EEA country. I did inform them that the UK was as yet still part of the EU
Old May 29, 2018, 12:18 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Upupintheair
Tried to use the e-gates at CDG last week and was informed it was only for French, German and I think Dutch and/or Belgian passport holders and the UK was directed to the kiosks. I thought this was very odd as I believe you only need the chip from any EU/EEA country. I did inform them that the UK was as yet still part of the EU
PARAFE needs pre-registration unless you have a recent French passport, but it is open to UK nationals.
Old May 29, 2018, 12:23 pm

PARAFE needs pre-registration unless you have a recent French passport, but it is open to UK nationals.
Well, this lady was adamant: no UK passport holders. I did seem to remember using the e-gates before, that is why I thought it was so odd but they did have little flags indicating which countries were allowed through (no UK flag). Not sure what PARAFE is?
Old May 29, 2018, 12:30 pm

Not sure what PARAFE is?
Le passage rapide aux frontičres extérieures. E-gates in English. She is right that if you hadn't registered it wouldn't work, if you had registered then I doubt you would have been stopped. The easiest place to register is by exit door 10 on the departure level of CDG 2E.
Calchas likes this.
Old May 29, 2018, 12:45 pm

Le passage rapide aux frontičres extérieures. E-gates in English. She is right that if you hadn't registered it wouldn't work, if you had registered then I doubt you would have been stopped. The easiest place to register is by exit door 10 on the departure level of CDG 2E.
okay thanks., but that doesn't explain the flags....no UK or for that matter no majority of any other flags.
Old May 29, 2018, 12:50 pm

okay thanks., but that doesn't explain the flags....no UK or for that matter no majority of any other flags.
The UK is included in the EU flag (currently), the other flags are for EEA members who can also use PARAFE.
Old May 29, 2018, 12:52 pm

The UK is included in the EU flag (currently), the other flags are for EEA members who can also use PARAFE.
hmmm, I am sure you are right but really do not remember seeing a EU flag (and France Germany and The Netherlands were there for sure), will check next time. Thanks for the information though, very useful.
Old May 29, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage

hmmm, I am sure you are right but really do not remember seeing a EU flag (and France Germany and The Netherlands were there for sure), will check next time. Thanks for the information though, very useful.
the EU flag is certainly on the machine. See picture.
Anecdotally, PARAFE phonetically represents paraphe, which in French means abbreviated signature, or initials. Ah, those poets.
orbitmic likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
OT, but the flag is also shared by the Council of Europe (hence it being prominently used in Switzerland, Norway, several non-EU central European countries etc), so while you're absolutely right that on the PARAFE machines it is meant for the EU specifically, we would still be symbolically 'covered' afterwards somehow!

Also OT but Parafe went through successive phases of registration needed or unnecessary for various types of passports which may have confused the OP! At first refistration was necessary for all, then at one point it was necessary for French passports only but not a number of others, now it's more or less the opposite, etc. At one point you had to use finger prints then no, etc. One of the most obscure technological choices ever made IMHO!
Old May 30, 2018, 9:46 am

Ah thanks Takeiteasy, I never managed to get to the machine and was referring to the flags at the entrance of the e-gates area. Never got past this as I was referred to the kiosk. Learn something every day here!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.