Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

£20 compensation for no IFE on a 13-hour flight - fair?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

£20 compensation for no IFE on a 13-hour flight - fair?

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2018, 4:46 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by lavajava
They offer a status match, but it is effectively a 'challenge' (c. Jun 2017). Terms suggest you need to prove you fly enough to maintain status and have a flight booked in Upper Class for a Gold match.
Thanks for the clarification. Virgin offer a rather limited network in comparison with BA so it's not really comparing like with like. It certainly wouldn't work for me.
Old May 28, 2018, 5:01 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Originally Posted by Mike P
Thanks for the clarification. Virgin offer a rather limited network in comparison with BA so it's not really comparing like with like. It certainly wouldn't work for me.
Doesnt work for me either as I fly from Glasgow. Not suggesting jump to Virgin. Just suggesting he put that point to BA in search of a more reasonable compensation than a few fivers for no IFE on a 13 hour flight.
Old May 28, 2018, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
Doesnt work for me either as I fly from Glasgow. Not suggesting jump to Virgin. Just suggesting he put that point to BA in search of a more reasonable compensation than a few fivers for no IFE on a 13 hour flight.
I don't disagree with you at all; I would be unhappy if I were in the OP's shoes. As posted above however, I don't suspect BA will care if he suggests moving to VS as a result. IAG's share price is buoyant and it seems that's all that matters.
Old May 28, 2018, 5:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
Thank you all for your input and support. Sadly, although I do think it seems bloody mean, it also sounds as though twenty miserable quid is par for the course, so I think we will shrug our shoulders and accept what is on offer. Junior Offspring, being a minor, will be a lot more pleased with twenty quid than I would be!!

FWIW I will add that half the problem with getting a response out of them was their refusal to deal with Junior Offspring because she is a minor, coupled with a refusal to deal with me unless I had Junior Offspring's written consent, which seem extraordinary to me. Either a minor is competent to complain, or not - and if they're not, they're probably not competent to authorise someone else to do it for them. I am not quite sure which jobsworth came up with that particular obstacle to customer relations, but I would dearly love to meet them and shake them warmly by the throat.

Since Junior Offspring is in boarding school, getting the written consent took a while, and getting BA to acknowledge that I had sent it took weeks and multiple chasers. If the crew on board had simply apologised and coughed up the twenty quid voucher all of this could have been avoided, as could my ire and frustration at their attitude. I am getting increasingly fed up with the way that airlines try so hard to avoid compensating passengers for absolutely anything.

I would add that I am perfectly prepared to fight for my rights and have done so on many occasions (I recently had MH on the verge of winding-up proceedings, which appeared to concentrate their minds, and loosen their purse-strings, wonderfully) but where the compensation, though woeful, represents the standard measure then the brainache and stress of trying to get more (particularly when it has taken too much even to get this far) just isn't worth it, even to make a point.

Again, thanks to all for your time and input - what a great community this is!

Last edited by IanFromHKG; May 28, 2018 at 5:09 am Reason: Correcting a typo
Old May 28, 2018, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
my understanding is also it's
wt 3k avios / £20 e-voucher / or a duty free voucher
wtp 5k / £30 £20
cw 10k / £60 ​​​​​​​15k £75
f 20k / £120 ​​​​​​​£100
and it's best to go for avios rather than the alternatives since you could theoretically get 3 times the value out of it compared to the voucher.

This may seem a bit tough on longer, more expensive wt flights since they could be very boring if you had no other entertainment with you, but this has to be set against the lowest wt fare per leg of around £140. Hopefully the traveller concerned had their own gizmo with them.

What is supposed to happen is the csd or csm is supposed to action this on board, but we've had mixed information as to whether this is effective or not.
​​​​​​​
PETER01 and lavajava like this.
Old May 28, 2018, 5:12 am

I don't suspect BA will care if he suggests moving to VS as a result.
That is ridiculous. Of course a company cares if it looses a customer to a competitor , no matter how profitable they are. 1 customer can quickly become 1 million customers.
They might not "bend over backwards, quick call a board meeting" care. But they will care and it would be worth their while upping a £20 offer to keep said customer.
Old May 28, 2018, 5:16 am

That is ridiculous. Of course a company cares if it looses a customer to a competitor , no matter how profitable they are. 1 customer can quickly become 1 million customers.
They might not "bend over backwards, quick call a board meeting" care. But they will care and it would be worth their while upping a £20 offer to keep said customer.
I fear you may be a little misguided in this particular area.
haroon145 likes this.
Old May 28, 2018, 5:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@ IanFromHKG

So sad that the whole episode - and specifically the really poor manner in which it was handled by BA - has ended up leaving with you with such a nasty taste in the mouth.

Thanks for coming back to us. Can understand your sense of frustrated resignation, and reluctance to spend more time pursuing a better outcome.

(btw ............ I’m stealing this quip from you : “I am not quite sure which jobsworth came up with that particular obstacle to customer relations, but I would dearly love to meet them and shake them warmly by the throat.“)
Old May 28, 2018, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
My understanding is also it's
WT 3k Avios / £20 e-voucher / or a duty free voucher
WTP 5k / £30
CW 10k / £60
F 20k / £120
and it's best to go for Avios rather than the alternatives since you could theoretically get 3 times the value out of it compared to the voucher.

This may seem a bit tough on longer, more expensive WT flights since they could be very boring if you had no other entertainment with you, but this has to be set against the lowest WT fare per leg of around £140. Hopefully the traveller concerned had their own gizmo with them.

What is supposed to happen is the CSD or CSM is supposed to action this on board, but we've had mixed information as to whether this is effective or not.
And as is so often the case, c-w-s, I think you have hit the nail on the head. Twenty quid might work on a shorter flight, but 13 hours? And the flight in question cost about £1,500, so we are talking about £1.53 per hour and in percentage terms less than 1.5% of the fare...

Twenty quid. For no entertainment on a 13 hour flight is crazy. Literally twenty quid? 4 fivers lol. I'd be fuming.
I was - by proxy (since it was my daughter not me). And to be honest that was a large part of my taking up the complaint, the fact that the crew seemed to assume that she would suck it up. I certainly wasn't doing it for personal gain, since whatever we get (which appears to be those four fivers) is going to her, not me... After all, she is the one who suffered.

Originally Posted by amt
Insulting... no doubt not even representative of the value of the time and effort spent chasing them.

I wouldnt accept it, tell them to get stuffed and I’ll be taking my business elsewhere.
I'm a lawyer and my charge out rates are... well, let's say BA are getting away with a bargain!! Sadly, BA tend to be the best value on the route so taking the principled route, emotionally tempting though it may be, wouldn't make very good financial sense!

Indeed. Tell them no thanks, Virgin has offered you a status match to start flying with them instead.
She's a minor. No status for her....

But they DO fly LHR-HKG....!

Originally Posted by subject2load
(btw ............ I’m stealing this quip from you : “I am not quite sure which jobsworth came up with that particular obstacle to customer relations, but I would dearly love to meet them and shake them warmly by the throat.“)
Hahaha!! I can't claim authorship, but you are very welcome
Again, thanks to all, you have definitely lightened my mood and temper about the whole sorry episode!
Old May 28, 2018, 5:39 am

Glad you are feeling better about it all, I'd be peeved in your situation too. As I mentioned above, BA are unlikely to care if you move your business elsewhere but if VS works for you, I'd be tempted to give it a try.
Old May 28, 2018, 5:40 am

[QUOTE=Can I help you;29801304] @cihY: Thanks, helpful info. Seems that taking the Avios option is definitely better value here.
Old May 28, 2018, 6:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Whether it's a fair amount is subjective. I certainly wouldn't pay £20 for IFE if they charged extra for it....apart from the moving map I rarely look at it anyway. On one BJS-LHR flight on Air China the large screen wasn't working which was a blessing as I was spared a repeat of the party line content I had to endure on the way out.
Old May 28, 2018, 6:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SAA Voyager
£20 is the cost of five iTunes movie rentals. I don’t think BA are that far off reasonable for a compensation offer for no IFE in economy.
Old May 28, 2018, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Indeed. Tell them no thanks, Virgin has offered you a status match to start flying with them instead.
BA don't' care tuppence ha'penny about individual travellers who either threaten to do it or actually do it - you won't get a 'we missed you please come back have a discount voucher' from BA like some US airlines send.

Do Virgin offer status matches?
Yes but with conditions - like most status matches they want to see a pattern of flying with the existing carrier and bookings with the new carrier to assure themselves that you are (on the face of it) going to give them some business that makes it worth their while.

Originally Posted by subject2load

Some might indeed choose to take this line.

Doubt it would bother BA in the slightest, mind you.
Correct. BA won't be bothered in the slightest. I can imagine at a BA call centre staff meeting them being asked 'how many never flying with you again' comments they heard or read that week and there being some sort of scorecard and much hilarity!

BTW the VS compensation / service gesture for no IFE is £20 cash in economy (and I think £30 if you accept duty free vouchers).
Old May 28, 2018, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by LondonCapeTownAnyday
£20 is the cost of five iTunes movie rentals. I don’t think BA are that far off reasonable for a compensation offer for no IFE in economy.
That makes no sense.
Thats like saying the OP is upset about what they missed during the flight and is desperate to watch it later.
The IFE is there to take the misery out of a 13 hour flight in Y.
I would certainly pay more than £20 to have some entertainment for 13 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.