Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

DME 237/236 Rotations Cancelled From 29/05-03/06 At Least. Anyone Know The Reasons?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DME 237/236 Rotations Cancelled From 29/05-03/06 At Least. Anyone Know The Reasons?

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2018, 5:15 pm
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue

Got an email today from BA informing me that I had a seat change on one my flights on 3rd June 2018 (GLA-LHR- DME). Went in to MMB to check which flight it was only to discover that my BA237 had been cancelled and had been rebooked on the BA 235 earlier in the day but no changes to my flight from GLA. Don’t know if BA were expecting a bit of time travel to make that achievable.

I looked at availability for the overnight flight on 2nd June only to discover that had been cancelled as well. Further searches found that the cancellations start on 29th May with only the 233/232 & 235/234 rotations operating with 787 & 777 aircraft instead of the usual 787/777 & A321 mid haul on those days.

The overnight flights quite suited my plans for returning to work and gave me my last day to spend time with family and start my travel at reasonable time instead of now having to be up in the middle of the night to get ready and start travelling.

The other annoying thing is that BA didn’t inform me that the flight had been cancelled, only informing me my seat had changed. Had I not been so fixated on a particular seat and felt compelled to check, I may well not have bothered going in to MMB and possibly left it for a day or two.

Contacted my office and informed them, who got on to our CTA who also hadn’t been aware of the cancellation. Thankfully all sorted now but with less desirable times and putting my plans out of kilter.

Anyone have any any idea why they’ve cancelled the overnight rotations last minute? Haven’t checked beyond 3rd June so not sure if it will continue. Is there a shortage of mid-haul A321 aircraft? Are they using those for 787 cancellations on other routes? Could that rotation be on the chopping block for good?

Any insights much appreciated.

S
Old May 25, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Deleted
Old May 25, 2018, 6:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold
There's a rotation swapping to Sheremetyevo... perhaps that's it? If that is, you should be able to change/cancel for free.
Old May 26, 2018, 1:08 am
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by lostinlondon
There's a rotation swapping to Sheremetyevo... perhaps that's it? If that is, you should be able to change/cancel for free.
That change doesn’t take place till W18.

S
CloudGazer likes this.
Old May 26, 2018, 1:39 am

Curious, must have just happened as a friend and I were looking at availability earlier this week on 2nd June to see if we thought Avios might open up and all 3 were there then

The 777 is operating as two class, so small chance of F seats for J or better chance of WT+ seats in WT, though looks pretty quiet currently

I wonder if they are short of the CW A321 currently - seems that G-MEDU has been in maintenance for a few weeks in Madrid. Looking at FR 24 there are multiple instances of flights being operated on a euro A320 over the past few weeks - surprised we haven't heard about in on here
Old May 26, 2018, 3:29 am

Programs: OWS, *A G
This is an interesting development. I have a not-so-straight-forward family trip booked as avios (LHR-DME) and cash (S7 domestic flight) for part of the family and a separate cash tockets for the rest.

Starting to worry here... Let’s see.
Old May 26, 2018, 5:59 am
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

I was hoping for some Last minute Avios availability as it’s a nice Y-J upgrade. Wonder how they’ll operate the 234/245 rotations as I see on EF that WTP is blocked out?

S
Old May 26, 2018, 4:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Saltire74

That change doesn’t take place till W18.

S
Didn't know October was winter. Good luck. Sorry for trying to be helpful.
Old May 26, 2018, 5:30 pm

Firstly, I have to say I'm a longtime lurker on FT which
​​​​is an amazing site. Looking forward to doing an ex-EU (which I didn't know existed before this site​​​​).Secondly, I did BA237/236 in early May and both flights had around 5 people in CW. My guess is there is not enough demand.
Old May 27, 2018, 1:37 am
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lostinlondon
Didn't know October was winter. Good luck. Sorry for trying to be helpful.
Apologies if you have taken my comment as snippy or sharp. Wasn’t intended to come across that way.

Winter schedules start around the time the clocks change back to GMT at the end of October.

S
CloudGazer likes this.
Old May 27, 2018, 2:14 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Jampie
Firstly, I have to say I'm a longtime lurker on FT which
​​​​is an amazing site. Looking forward to doing an ex-EU (which I didn't know existed before this site​​​​).Secondly, I did BA237/236 in early May and both flights had around 5 people in CW. My guess is there is not enough demand.
I don't think it's much of a secret that UK - Russian relations are near rock bottom at the moment, and that's bound to affect business and leisure travel too. BA had high hopes for Moscow when it relaunched the route as a longhaul a few years back but I doubt they would do it today. But welcome to Flyertalk Jampie, welcome in particular to the BA forum and I very much hope that we will see a lot more of you in this forum going forward.
Old May 29, 2018, 6:40 am

G-MEDF has set off for maintenance and G-MEDU as yet is not back, so this could be the cause

My pal is pleased though as CW redemption seats opened up today, so he could switch from his LHR-HEL-SVO routing
Old May 29, 2018, 7:19 am
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sammyg901
G-MEDF has set off for maintenance and G-MEDU as yet is not back, so this could be the cause

My pal is pleased though as CW redemption seats opened up today, so he could switch from his LHR-HEL-SVO routing
I saw MEDU was still in the shop when I checked the BA Source this morning. So far, from the 4th June, the schedule appears to return back to normal.

Has mx for MEDU overrun hence a mid-haul frame short?

S
Old May 30, 2018, 7:30 am

EDU has overrun in mx. so I believe she isn't out for another 25 days.

I believe there have been some cancellations due to the lack of a mid-haul frame, but I also believe some flights have been upgraded to a 777.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 1:19 am
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

According to the BA website, the BA237 has now been reinstated for 3rd June, my original flight. What would be the chances of BA moving me back to my original flights without penalty?

It may sound petty, silly, whatever for the sake of a few hours but I’m dealing with some family issues and my mum needs as much support as possible at the moment and spending those few extra hours (best part of the day) would help her a lot.

Thanks

S

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.