Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Another BAFT mini-do. Gibraltar, Saturday 23 March 2019

Another BAFT mini-do. Gibraltar, Saturday 23 March 2019

    Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 22, 19, 3:53 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: madfish
Wiki Link


Latest information on plans can be found in the following post:https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30702435-post460.html


Gibraltar Saturday 23 March 2019

GUEST LIST (77)

Altrurian, angeloedades, bhbloke, Calchas, CaroFos, cgtechuk, chris1979, cistavoda, Deanog1976, DeathSlam, dinoscool3 (+1), Duncs, dycc, florens (+1), FlyerP, flyuk, GadgetGal, Gingernut, Governator, gcuk, GrjApp, IFE Wizard, Innocent Abroad, JB7, jfallesen, KARFA, KeaneJohn, LavaJava, LPQ (+1), LSunbury (+1), LondonAndy, lost_in_translation, madfish, megaloman, mtikky, onobond, p78, Pumplekin (+1), Physci, polochick, Puqui99 (+1), Rapidex (+1), S1362083, S_W_S, Scallywag72 (+1), ScienceTeacher (+1), Shl (+1), SmallClanger, StanStorby, Swissbobby (+1), teledude, Temps (+1), The Specialist (+1), Thundercat, Tiffywren, tomparskate, TPRun, TravellerFrequently (+1), travellingscotsman (+2), Wbeest.

FLIGHTS

Thursday 21st March
TNG-GIB
AT990 12:00 - Governator

LHR-GIB
BA492 8:25 - dinoscool3 (+2)

Friday 22nd March
LHR-GIB
BA490 12:35 - Calchas, chris1979, FlyerP, LPQ (+1), Pumplekin (+1), Snaxmuppet, The Specialist (+1), Thundercat,

GLA-LHR
BA1489 15:25 - cgtechuk, teledude

GVA-LHR
BA721 17:35 - Swissbobby (+1)

EDI-LHR
BA1459 18:55 -Tomparskate

ZRH-LHR
BA707 2105 - florens (+1)

Saturday 23rd March
GLA -LHR
BA1473 08:05 - travellingscotsman

MAN-LHR
BA1385 08:05 - DeathSlam, madfish, Scallywag72 (+1), S_W_S

LHR-GIB
BA492 10:30 - bhbloke, GadgetGal, GrjApp, JB7, KARFA, lost_in_translation, LSunbury (+1), megaloman, p78. polochick, puqui99 (+1), StanStorby, Swissbobby (+1), Tomparskate, Wbeest (18)
BA490 12:35 - angeloedades, CaroFos, cgtechuk, cistavoda, DeathSlam, Duncs, dycc, florens (+1), Flyuk, gcuk, Gingernut, IFE Wizard, Innocent Abroad, jfallesen, KeaneJohn, LavaJava, LondonAndy, madfish, mtikky, onobond, Physci, Rapidex (+1), S1362083, Scallywag72 (+1), ScienceTeacher (+1), shl (+1), Stevieed, SmallClanger, S_W_S, teledude, Temps (+1), Tiffywren, TPRun, TravellerFrequently (+1), travellingscotsman (+2) (44),

Sunday 24th March
GIB-LHR
BA493 15:15 - angeloedades, Calchas, CaroFos, chris1979, cistavoda, dinoscool3 (+2), Duncs, dycc, FlyerP, GadgetGal, gcuk, Gingernut, IFE Wizard, Innocent Abroad, KARFA,, LondonAndy, madfish, megaloman, mtikky, onobond, puqui99 (+1), S1362083, Scallywag72 (+1), Snaxmuppet, StanStorby,Stevieed, S_W_S, teledude, Tiffywren, Tomparskate, TPRun.
BA491 17:30 - bhbloke, flyuk, JB7, jfallesen, KeaneJohn, lost_in_translation, p78, Physci, polochick, Pumplekin (+1), ScienceTeacher, shl (+1), SmallClanger, The Specialist (+1)

LHR-MAN
BA1376 21:00 - madfish, Scallywag72 (+1), S_W_S

LHR-EDI
BA1464 20:55 - Tomparskate

LHR-CDG
BA326 20:30 - S1362083

Monday 25th March
AGP-LIS
TP1139 06:40 - Governator (Driving GIB - AGP night before)

GIB-LHR
BA493 13:10 - cgtechuk, DeathSlam, florens (+1), GrjApp, LPQ (+1), LSunbury (+1), Swissbobby (+1), Temps (+1), Thundercat, TravellerFrequently (+1), travellingscotsman (+2), Wbeest

LHR-GVA
BA736 17:20 - Swissbobby (+1)

LHR-GLA
BA1492 18:10 - cgtechuk, travellingscotsman (+2)

LHR-MAN
BA1402 18:25 - DealthSlam

LHR-ZRH
BA708 17:30 - florens (+1)

Tuesday 26th March
GIB-LHR
BA0493 13:05 - Rapidex (+1)

HOTEL

Holiday Inn Express, Gibraltar (56)
angeloedades, bhbloke, Calchas, cgtechuk, CaroFos, Duncs, florens +1, FlyerP, flyuk (can share), GadgetGal, gcuk, Gingernut, Governator, GrjApp, IFE Wizard, JB7, jfallesen, KARFA, KeaneJohn, LavaJava, lost_in_translation, LPQ (+1), LSunbury (+1), madfish, onobond, Physci, polochick, Pumplekin (+1), Rapidex (+1), S1362083, Scallywag72 (+1), shl (+1), SmallClanger, Snaxmuppet, StanStorby, Swissbobby (+1), S_W_S, Temps (+1), Thundercat, Tiffywren, TPRun (& p78), TravellerFrequently (+1), travellingscotsman (+2)

The Elliot, Gibraltar (4)
The Specialist (+1)
Wbeest
DeathSlam

ACTIVITIES


Pre-Do Friday 22nd March @ Hilton Garden Inn, Hatton Cross, LHR
florens
Swissbobby (+1)



Pre-Do Friday 22nd March @ GIB 1830 (6:30pm) ( http://vinopolisgastrobar.gi/)
Calchas, chris1979, dinoscool3 (+2), FlyerP, Governator, LPQ (+1), Snaxmuppet

Climbing The Rock Friday 22nd or Saturday 23rd March
Potential Participants: Calchas (Friday afternoon or Saturday morning, depending on weather and volume consumed on the Friday flight.), chris1979, Snaxmuppet (don't arrive until Friday 16:30), dinoscool3, Governator, thundercat



Saturday Night food & drink
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30702438-post461.html
https://doodle.com/poll/ksxf3mp9mr3xddda


Dolphin Cruise Private Charter Sunday 24th March
For more details please see post 188
Potential Participants: florens+1, LPQ (+1), madfish, onobond, polochick, shl (+1), Snaxmuppet


Post-Do Sunday 24th March @ GIB (location to be announced)



__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____

The MICRO-DO: Gibraltar, 2/3 March 2019

Convenes in CX First around 8am on Saturday 2nd for Breakfast. Then onwards as the mood takes us.

Friday 1st March

LHR-GIB
BA490 12:35 - Fontana+1

Saturday 2nd March

LHR-GIB
BA490 12:35 - bisonrav, gcuk (+1), puqui99 (+3), TravellerFrequently (+1) , WickedStepMother (+1)

Sunday 3rd March

GIB-LHR
BA493 15:15 - bisonrav

GIB-LHR
BA491 17:30 - Fontana+1
, gcuk (+1), puqui99 (+3), TravellerFrequently (+1)

Tuesday 5th March

GIB-LHR
BA491 17:20 - WickedStepMother (+1)
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Mar 25, 19, 6:15 am
  #706  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 10
Originally Posted by teledude View Post
Last time I checked there were plenty of other lounges you could have gone in?

CX won't care by the way so don't waste your time
Can I ask how you have such insight
herethere is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 19, 6:30 am
  #707  
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 183
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
I think herethere has some issues when it comes to etiquette on BA flights... See previous posts for detail.
If he was complaining about the behaviour of a few people on board BA490 on Saturday, I may be able to understand him. Some people were rather loud as the alchohol levels increased and I did feel sorry for the probably about five passengers on board who were not part of our group. :-)
KeaneJohn likes this.
jfallesen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 19, 8:37 am
  #708  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Sapporo, Japan
Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
Posts: 459
Data point from me: My flight was £0 after redeeming a goodwill voucher, but my BAEC Gold card was most definitely not £0

On a more serious note, the staff in CX F were exceptionally good and coping well. I even noticed the lounge "matron" speaking to individual high profile customers, making sure they were ok. Furthermore, the restaurant staff were asking if people were happy to share tables in the dining area and respecting those who didn't.

I was sober, and didn't see people "spread out all over the place" and there were seats available in F throughout my whole stay there. Food was also always available, and the alcohol was topped up as soon as anyone asked for it. The only thing that did happen in J and then F was that they ran out of champagne flutes, but didn't hesitate to give wine glasses out instead.

Incidentally, most people moved to J on Saturday morning after about an hour, even those who were perfectly entitled to use CX F.
flyuk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 19, 9:29 am
  #709  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Programs: AA EXP/LTP 4MM, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH Dia, SPG Plat/LTP
Posts: 9,307
Having spent 2+ hours in CX F lounge, late Saturday morning, I can second every detail @flyuk has stated. There were seats available in all parts of the F lounge, although there seemed to some short waiting for seats in the restaurant at times. Empty bottles were soon replaced by the attentive staff, who actually were expressing their happiness over being able to serve more guests than usual.
IFE Wizard and flyuk like this.
onobond is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 19, 10:12 am
  #710  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Switzerland
Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
Posts: 3,856
Now sat at LHR waiting for our flight home. Thanks everybody for a great weekend away.
florens is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 19, 10:18 am
  #711  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: N/A
Programs: Go Fish
Posts: 4,244
Originally Posted by herethere View Post
I was in the CX lounge flying longhaul with them in their F lounge. You may have been going on some group excursion but many of you forget your manners and showed no appreciation that there were other people in that lounge that had spent thousands for the tickets to be greeted by riff raff that had spent a £100 on a ticket. When we entered the lounge we were accosted by a large guy asking people if they were from Flyetalk which was unbelievably crass. Every single seat had been bagged and left empty as the occupants had gone into the restaurant. How selfish can you be. Nearly all the bottles of wine etc were empty and food gone. Talking loudly like it was a bus station. I sure you would not like such behaviours if you were not part of this group. I have written to the CEO of CX and the Lounge Manager agrees that the F section should be reserved for longhaul passengers and groups like this should be directed to their airline lounge to ensure the sanctity of the lounge is maintained. Next time think of others not just yourselves.
i agree with you. Itís unacceptable to do this and next time we should advise CX ahead and not allow people with that particular flight in.
nufnuf77 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 19, 10:18 am
  #712  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Programs: GGL/CCR
Posts: 1,586
Originally Posted by nufnuf77 View Post

i agree with you. Itís unacceptable to do this and next time we should advise CX ahead and not allow people with that particular flight in.
Oh dear haha
teledude is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 19, 12:08 pm
  #713  
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Cumbria
Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Posts: 4,205
Review of the BAFT 'Mini' do to GIB

Well, that was certainly an adventure. What started out as a quiet weekend away for @KARFA was soon overrun with some 75 other FTers who never knew they had such a burning desire to visit the rocky outcrop.

I won't go into all the details, but there were some early adventures who made good their escape on Friday and were there to great those arriving on the early Saturday flight.The early flight seemed to go off without too many difficulties (despite some having a late night in the HGI the night before) and it seems that the intrepid explorers were able to make their way from the various T3 lounges to the aircraft. Those on the later flight, including a select group who had traveled down on the early morning MAN departure were soon exploring the lounges with many going from CX,to QF and then BA.

I can't comment too much on the specifics of the early flight, or for the experience in CE, as I was doing penitence in ET. However, the group one queue for the 490 was impressive and we were boarded more or less on time for scheduled departure. However, somebody was missing. The Captain. Apparently our original one had had a mishap with a carving knife. Perhaps he knew something we didn't. A replacement was soon on board and it was announced that we needed de-iceing. Apparently the previous flight had come from that well known cold place known as BCN. Anyway, we didn't appear to be de-iced (unless they did something whilst we were at the gate?) and we were able to pushback, eventually being airborne around an hour late.

Service in ET was somewhat lacking. It seemed to take quite a while and the cabin crew (2) didn't seem the most organised or friendly of pairs. Apparently they were better down the front. As we approach GIB we were placed in a hold. Interesting to have to hold for an airport that had only 4 scheduled inbound flights that day. After a couple of circuits we made our first approach. It was clearly very bumpy and it was clear to those on board that we were going to abort the landing. A second approach was made but again this was aborted and we were on out way to AGP. The diversionary flight was also quiet bumpy. Although we did get an announcement from the flightdeck, I was surprised that the CSM didn't mention anything at all. Landing at a bus gate a AGP, the arrangements were shambolic. Nobody knew what to do or where to go. It did feel a little like we had been abandoned. Eventually we made our way to GIB via buses (or a small number who had made their own way.)

Once through the border we made our way to various restaurants and hotels, and subsequent bars. I can confirm that some shots were purchased, as well as a virtually full pint glass of wine! GIB is very cheap for alcohol. Some of the group did continue to enjoy the hospitality until late, and I suspect only made it to bed shortly before others were getting up for the day.

It soon became clear that there were going to be issues with the return BA493 (dep 1515) as it returned to gate after lining up to take off from LHR. A replacement was summoned, and it eventually left over 3 hours late. Indeed the later 490 left before it and had even turned around in GIB before the early flight had arrived. What was meant to be a 1515 departure eventually turned into being airborne at 1853. Service in ET was much better. GIB airport is a really nice, friendly place. It some size for an airport that has so few flights. The lounge was pleasant but the experience was let down by the derisory duty of care offered by BA. A meagre £5 voucher for those in ET.

Where AGP was a disaster, a word of praise for BA for those missing connecting flights at LHR. Vouchers and information was handed out on arrival and this provided clear advice and instructions to those impacted. Although I declined the offered hotel and arranged something with BA which would allow easier access in the morning to my new flight back to MAN.

All in all it was a good trip. Lots of friendships were rekindled and many more new ones established. Sorry if i didn't speak to you (you dodged a bullet there!)

Until the next one (and there will be a next one!) thanks to all those who attended, and I hope you all enjoyed. For those who didn't attend, you will need to make sure you are there for the next one!!!
madfish is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 19, 12:14 pm
  #714  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: LHR, LGW
Programs: BAEC
Posts: 1,552
Great review. Shame I couldnít join in!

Very interesting that the upset lounge guest knew exactly where to post their complaint.

I hope it was an enjoyable get together for people who have a common interest in flying and BA/OW. Itís great to see people come together over a shared passion/love or interest.

P.S There will be always haters out in the big bad world! I hope I can be at a future do.
TPRun likes this.
rockflyertalk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 19, 12:26 pm
  #715  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Switzerland
Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
Posts: 3,856
Nice review madfish

I agree AGP was interesting as there was not much information given.

Regarding deicing: The captain told me that the NEOs are apparently more prone to icing under the wing even though it is the same material as the CEOs. They donĎt really understand it. The area near the wheel box which is a large metal structure in the wing usually is affected. Maybe someone can shed more light onto this?

Until the next Do!

Safe travels everybody. We are now hopping onto our flight home.
florens is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 19, 1:42 pm
  #716  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Hamburg / Jerusalem
Programs: BA Silver, TK Elite
Posts: 1,247
Originally Posted by madfish View Post
Review of the BAFT 'Mini' do to GIB

Well, that was certainly an adventure. What started out as a quiet weekend away for @KARFA was soon overrun with some 75 other FTers who never knew they had such a burning desire to visit the rocky outcrop.

I won't go into all the details, but there were some early adventures who made good their escape on Friday and were there to great those arriving on the early Saturday flight.The early flight seemed to go off without too many difficulties (despite some having a late night in the HGI the night before) and it seems that the intrepid explorers were able to make their way from the various T3 lounges to the aircraft. Those on the later flight, including a select group who had traveled down on the early morning MAN departure were soon exploring the lounges with many going from CX,to QF and then BA.

I can't comment too much on the specifics of the early flight, or for the experience in CE, as I was doing penitence in ET. However, the group one queue for the 490 was impressive and we were boarded more or less on time for scheduled departure. However, somebody was missing. The Captain. Apparently our original one had had a mishap with a carving knife. Perhaps he knew something we didn't. A replacement was soon on board and it was announced that we needed de-iceing. Apparently the previous flight had come from that well known cold place known as BCN. Anyway, we didn't appear to be de-iced (unless they did something whilst we were at the gate?) and we were able to pushback, eventually being airborne around an hour late.

Service in ET was somewhat lacking. It seemed to take quite a while and the cabin crew (2) didn't seem the most organised or friendly of pairs. Apparently they were better down the front. As we approach GIB we were placed in a hold. Interesting to have to hold for an airport that had only 4 scheduled inbound flights that day. After a couple of circuits we made our first approach. It was clearly very bumpy and it was clear to those on board that we were going to abort the landing. A second approach was made but again this was aborted and we were on out way to AGP. The diversionary flight was also quiet bumpy. Although we did get an announcement from the flightdeck, I was surprised that the CSM didn't mention anything at all. Landing at a bus gate a AGP, the arrangements were shambolic. Nobody knew what to do or where to go. It did feel a little like we had been abandoned. Eventually we made our way to GIB via buses (or a small number who had made their own way.)

Once through the border we made our way to various restaurants and hotels, and subsequent bars. I can confirm that some shots were purchased, as well as a virtually full pint glass of wine! GIB is very cheap for alcohol. Some of the group did continue to enjoy the hospitality until late, and I suspect only made it to bed shortly before others were getting up for the day.

It soon became clear that there were going to be issues with the return BA493 (dep 1515) as it returned to gate after lining up to take off from LHR. A replacement was summoned, and it eventually left over 3 hours late. Indeed the later 490 left before it and had even turned around in GIB before the early flight had arrived. What was meant to be a 1515 departure eventually turned into being airborne at 1853. Service in ET was much better. GIB airport is a really nice, friendly place. It some size for an airport that has so few flights. The lounge was pleasant but the experience was let down by the derisory duty of care offered by BA. A meagre £5 voucher for those in ET.

Where AGP was a disaster, a word of praise for BA for those missing connecting flights at LHR. Vouchers and information was handed out on arrival and this provided clear advice and instructions to those impacted. Although I declined the offered hotel and arranged something with BA which would allow easier access in the morning to my new flight back to MAN.

All in all it was a good trip. Lots of friendships were rekindled and many more new ones established. Sorry if i didn't speak to you (you dodged a bullet there!)

Until the next one (and there will be a next one!) thanks to all those who attended, and I hope you all enjoyed. For those who didn't attend, you will need to make sure you are there for the next one!!!
Great report! I'M up and running again but it seems my flu saved me from the AGP trip and more importantly an overnight in LHR
Innocent Abroad is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 19, 2:24 pm
  #717  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Plymouth, UK
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 779
Thanks for the review. It all made me realise what fun I missed... and I mean that in an un-sarcastic way I genuinely wished I were with you. I will try to be there at the next one for sure.

Did anyone use the badges?
snaxmuppet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 19, 2:28 pm
  #718  
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Cumbria
Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Posts: 4,205
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet View Post
Thanks for the review. It all made me realise what fun I missed... and I mean that in an un-sarcastic way I genuinely wished I were with you. I will try to be there at the next one for sure.

Did anyone use the badges?
Yes, a number if people did use them. Sadly the delay on the 490 meant that some went straight to the restaurant instead of the hotel so were not able to collect them.

Thanks again for your trouble with sorting these. And also to those who provided additional lanyards.
madfish is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 19, 2:30 pm
  #719  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Posts: 828
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet View Post
Did anyone use the badges?
Yes, they were handed out on Saturday evening before the departure to various eateries.

Very useful for a first timer like me, so thanks very much for organising those, and it was a shame you couldn't be there.
snaxmuppet likes this.
bhbloke is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 19, 3:14 pm
  #720  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 738
Can we PLEASE book the next one? I'm voting LUX but happy with wherever!
CaroFos is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread