Change of travel companion

Old May 29, 2018, 4:37 am

IATA's view ... it's up to the airline
https://www.iata.org/policy/Document...ferability.pdf
Old May 29, 2018, 5:38 am

Programs: SPG Gold, BA oik, TK pleb, EY Hoi Polloi
Purely out of interest, how does one book a seat for a cello/priceless artwork in business class? A ticket called Mr Cello?
Old May 29, 2018, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by pheonix254
Purely out of interest, how does one book a seat for a cello/priceless artwork in business class? A ticket called Mr Cello?
you need to call BA to book the seat - https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...al-instruments
Old May 29, 2018, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by pheonix254
You need to call so the seat can be allocated properly.. In these cases you don't pay APD and some other fees for the extra seat.

Booking it as A Cello is not a good idea as one woman found out in (I think) Switzerland when she couldn't produce a passport for it and was denied boarding.
Old May 29, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by SteveF

Please tell me this is a joke.
Partly tounge-in-cheek and partly a practical suggestion.
Old May 31, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors, Virgin
Originally Posted by Globaliser
"Secondary market".

The OP described themselves as a layman but then said that they were in the industry. Assuming that the latter is true, I wonder if the OP knows of any full-service airline anywhere in the world that allows name changes on premium cabin long-haul tickets for a fee, whether it's £50 or any other figure. Also, IIRC non-transferability of tickets isn't a policy rooted in today's world of corporate greed, management bonuses and the like, but has been a standard feature of the industry since way back when.
Surely something could be introduced that allows one name change per ticket for a small fee if necessary. There could be a condition that if 2 tickets were booked on the same PNR that only 1 change was allowed and both tickets had to be used together. It would help in cases where there has been an unforeseen relationship split.
Old May 31, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
as many others have said, there is simply no concept of a seat being "yours" unless and until you are fully checked in and have passed conformance at T5

I experienced this myself - Mrs R was due to fly to the US with me in Club (upper deck 747, no less); we had checked in online and were all set to go; an hour before we leave for the airport a family matter came up which required Mrs R to stay home - BA would have believed her to be on the flight right up until she failed to pass through security at T5 at -35 minutes or whatever it is - her seat next to me was still occupied by another passenger when I boarded the plance

BA don't hold the seat free!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.