FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   2018 World Cup - Shown in BA Lounges? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1911084-2018-world-cup-shown-ba-lounges.html)

BAMuc May 25, 2018 4:17 am

2018 World Cup - Shown in BA Lounges?

Hello

Being a bit of a football nerd, I keep dates of all important football matches etc. in my diary. Unfortunately, the (clearly all-important) Germany-South Korea match clashes with flight timings, although I could probably watch most of it at LHR prior to departure.

Is there any historic data/current information whether world cup games are shown in the Lounges?

kosy91 May 25, 2018 4:23 am

I sometimes watch cricket on the screen at the open terraces of the North Loungr

Dont see why you cant watch the WC there

Obviously it shouldnt disrupt the other passengers

I cant see BA cordoning off an area for the football fanatics....

bhbloke May 25, 2018 4:43 am

They usually have it in in at least one part of the lounge, judging by previous tournaments (I've been flying out to them and have caught a game whilst wating for a flight)

SWISSBOBBY May 25, 2018 4:45 am

Would be good if they only have it on one TV.... and not as i have seen in the past both in the GF lounge...

Makes the Terrace very noisy.

FlyerTalker688786 May 25, 2018 5:38 am

If you are heading to the US, make sure you travel on American Airlines where B787/B777 operates the flight. There are Sports24 and Sports24 Extra live TV on the entertainment system on board AA Boeing aircrafts, which every World Cup game is live while flying even above 30,000 feet. Occasionally I could watch it while on ground.

And if you are traveling on BA, finger crossed that the flight deck may inform you the result through PA.

golfmad May 25, 2018 5:46 am

Why not avoid disappointment and be prepared to stream it on your own device if you can't find it playing in the lounge?

BAMuc May 25, 2018 6:32 am

Originally Posted by golfmad (Post 29792751)
Why not avoid disappointment and be prepared to stream it on your own device if you can't find it playing in the lounge?

... is the WiFi strong/reliable enough for streaming? My previous experiences have been decidedly mixed...

simons1 May 25, 2018 6:36 am

Originally Posted by golfmad (Post 29792751)

So many people all watching on their own devices. Should be great for bandwidth.

golfmad May 25, 2018 6:38 am

Originally Posted by BAMuc (Post 29792876)
... is the WiFi strong/reliable enough for streaming? My previous experiences have been decidedly mixed...

I've had good experiences in the UK and US lounges with Wifi and LTE in the US for streaming sports. Of course, the more people doing it on a shared bandwidth the worse it will get. In reality I suspect you'll find it on the TV in the UK but it should work as a backup plan.

flatlander May 25, 2018 6:48 am

If you fly AA, you also have access (at LHR) to the very fast wifi in the AA lounge for all your streaming needs. The CX wifi might be adequate too.

hanmer May 25, 2018 8:44 am

2016 during the Euro's, T5 Galleries lounge had the matches on in the cinema area, standing room only as it was quite popular.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...a1b59331a3.jpg

Bri

didnotbat May 25, 2018 8:54 am

Oh grief. I usually fly to the US to miss most/all of the WC. However the US have started to appreciate the round ball game so it looks like I cannot avoid the wretched tournament.

rockflyertalk May 25, 2018 9:56 am

I have a very good 4G LTE connection however if I have to use WiFi as the 4G drops out in places like the airport...BA lounges in particular then transferring over to the WiFi is definitely not as good for streaming. But it depends on busyness.

I would make a bantering comment about your choice of “very important game” but England haven’t won anything for 52 yrs so I’ll reserve my comments :D

FlyerTalker688786 May 25, 2018 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk (Post 29793438)
I have a very good 4G LTE connection however if I have to use WiFi as the 4G drops out in places like the airport...BA lounges in particular then transferring over to the WiFi is definitely not as good for streaming. But it depends on busyness.

I would make a bantering comment about your choice of “very important game” but England haven’t won anything for 52 yrs so I’ll reserve my comments :D

Some part of the fun about football is winning something, like you said. But the other part of the fun (I would say 80%) is the progress.

and without the second half fun of progress, the fun of winning something is just not going to happen nor satisfying.

Cap'n Benj May 25, 2018 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by didnotbat (Post 29793254)
Oh grief. I usually fly to the US to miss most/all of the WC. However the US have started to appreciate the round ball game so it looks like I cannot avoid the wretched tournament.

they’re not in it this year so I suspect it will barely get a mention