Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The new BiTB dodge - gatechecking and carrying on

The new BiTB dodge - gatechecking and carrying on

Old May 31, 2018, 1:21 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by Sealink

Volunteering to gate check a bag? Do you embarrass easily?
---> My point.

---> You.
Old May 31, 2018, 1:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I won't be happy until this appears in a buzzfeed "best travel hacks" listicle. Someone make it so.
Old May 31, 2018, 2:03 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Bronze
Ryanair are number 1 on my aviation hate list but you've got to give them credit for effectively enforcing cabin baggage limits. On all of my five recent flights out of Stansted two baggage handlers were guarding the aircraft steps, taking wheelie bags off non-priority customers. As a result there was enough overhead space for all items on board.
Old May 31, 2018, 3:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by planestupid
Ryanair are number 1 on my aviation hate list but you've got to give them credit for effectively enforcing cabin baggage limits. On all of my five recent flights out of Stansted two baggage handlers were guarding the aircraft steps, taking wheelie bags off non-priority customers. As a result there was enough overhead space for all items on board.

You wont (hopefully !) blame me for having a wry smile on reading a post which begins by referencing the airline I hate more than any other in the world ..... and then swiftly continues along the lines of ........ now let me tell you about my last five flights with them
Old May 31, 2018, 4:23 am

In my latest flight from LHR (LHR-MAD, IB flight but obviously BA gate agents at LHR T5), they were just forcing all the people who boarded first to check their bags, except for those in group 1. I was in group 2, but luckily I didn't have a wheelie but the seemingly invisible Skypak bag, so I was spared. I must say it made for a lot of very angry passengers when they boarded and saw first that the plane was empty and then that the last people to board were allowed to carry as much as they wanted. Of course, a lot of Group 2 passengers just let the agents tag their bags and then brought them into the plane anyway.

I must say they were successful: boarding was finalised and the doors closed 12 min ahead of the scheduled departure, but in the end we still pushed back 9 min late.
Old May 31, 2018, 4:37 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Yllanes
seemingly invisible Skypak bag,
Weird that, isn't it?
Old May 31, 2018, 11:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
This morning there were at least 2 pax who had gate-checked who got onto the aircraft, with their gate-checked bags, looking somewhat bemused.

They were clearly not trying to play the system, and had expected their bags to be taken from them at some point in the process - I heard them explaining to the CC. By this stage they were at Row 9 and the crew asked them just to take their bags and stow them in the overheads as carry-on. There is definitely a missing link or two in this process..
Well I guess they could make the sign a bit bigger? Or perhaps add flashing lights? There is a well known feature of air travel that seems to mush the brains of intelligent, rational, thoughtful people temporarily, and I'm not sure I can quite understand what it is.

Old May 31, 2018, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Well I guess they could make the sign a bit bigger? Or perhaps add flashing lights? There is a well known feature of air travel that seems to mush the brains of intelligent, rational, thoughtful people temporarily, and I'm not sure I can quite understand what it is.

Is there someone from BA attending to the bags as they are left? I'll be honest in saying that I am not sure I'd want to just leave my bag there with no staff member around. Maybe I am being unreasonable but I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that with the thought that something might happen to it.
Old May 31, 2018, 11:52 am

Are we sure that these signs are in such clear evidence at every gate / bridge, c-w-s ?

Cannot recall seeing one at my gate (A21) last week - but then I was probably not paying much attention, tbh.
Old May 31, 2018, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by subject2load
Are we sure that these signs are in such clear evidence at every gate / bridge, c-w-s ?

Cannot recall seeing one at my gate (A21) last week - but then I was probably not paying much attention, tbh.
Um, that is gate A21! Yes, this is what is in all the gates in A, B and C.
PAL62V and Calchas like this.
Old May 31, 2018, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by PAL62V
Is there someone from BA attending to the bags as they are left? I'll be honest in saying that I am not sure I'd want to just leave my bag there with no staff member around. Maybe I am being unreasonable but I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that with the thought that something might happen to it.
Bags must not be left unattended is the official airport security mantra, I believe ........
Calchas likes this.
Old May 31, 2018, 12:01 pm

Um, that is gate A21! Yes, this is what is in all the gates in A, B and C.

Okay !

I guess that shows we all see what we want / need to see.

Had the very smallest of carry-ons with me at the time (so no gate-check) and I just went about my business ......
Old May 31, 2018, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I see no ships sign.
Old May 31, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage

Errrrr..... what about the fact they travel only once a year and every airline and every airport has different rules? I think you have forgotten what the lambda traveller looks like...
Old May 31, 2018, 1:13 pm

Come on, hardly conclusive is it.

Knowing that such customers would be coming down the jetty first surely BA have a staffer stood there to intercept and collect the bags?

If yes, why are they getting past and into the cabin?

If no, I dont see it as a surprise that people are not just leaving their bags unattended. Not exactly the smartest thing to do really. You could flash lights and play the national anthem but I wouldn't be doing it.

Bit of a thin argument if I may say so, sounds to me like the only people with brains turned to mush are the people at BA who design such daft processes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.