Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Flight leaves on time but arrives 70 minutes late?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2018, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver

Slightly puzzled but mainly just passing time in the lounge, my BA app apologises profusely and tells me that 8758 is delayed, arriving into London 70 minutes after schedule, but it still has it very firmly leaving on time at 1925. Are we to fly about for an hour above London or is it just technology not playing ball?
Old May 24, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
The inbound to ORY is showing only 3 mins late, suggesting a roughly on time departure. Maybe someone mixed up European and British time
Old May 24, 2018, 10:09 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Often, perhaps usually, when you see this on the the app, one needs to remind oneself that the doors will close on time, but the doors will open late! In other words, a typical scenario is known slot restrictions, you'll get on board somewhat close to schedule, doors will close, and then the message from the flight deck full of optimism that an earlier slot can be reached. In the meantime one waits at the gate or just away from it. When I see this pairing of timings, I nick an additional newspaper from the lounge.
CloudGazer and yellow_peril like this.
Old May 24, 2018, 10:17 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Could be any number of things or combinations including slots times, routing, weather conditions etc etc. And of course, it may all change and you'll end up arriving on time
Old May 24, 2018, 11:37 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Are the French on strike today?
WorldLux likes this.
Old May 24, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: BA Silver
Sounds like a slot delay
Old May 24, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: BAEC / Hilton Honors / Accor
I had the same thing during a French ATC strike in April, on time departure but a showing a 2 hour late arrival at destination.

With everyone on board we pushed back then parked up at a remote parking spot waiting for a slot. In the end we took off around 50 minutes late.
Old May 24, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, SkyMiles Gold, Mucci deux fois
A misty memory...

In the dim and fond past, I regularly plied the long ditched MUC-MAN route.

It always seemed to cruise inexorably slow on the late morning rotation and whilst taxying in, it was so pedestrian, you would swear rabbits were overtaking you.

Years later in The Ship Pub in Styal, I learned that if the flight arrived on stand after 1200, the crew were on overtime, hence why we often got Captain Slow in the air and Driving Miss Daisy on the ground.

Last edited by PrimaVista; May 24, 2018 at 2:29 pm
Old May 24, 2018, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
For those who have not memorized the BA schedule, this is the 19:25 service ORY-LCY. It departed ORY 25 minutes late and arrived at the gate 14 minutes late, having made up 11 minutes on the micro-hop.

Particularly on very short flights, it does not take much for a very delay to occur. Something as simple as a wind shift necessitating an approach from the other direction can result in a delayed arrival. Here, it was quite minimal.
Old May 24, 2018, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Are the French on strike today?
Are there any days left on which the French aren't on strike?
Old May 24, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
Are there any days left on which the French aren't on strike?

Good point.

It might be better for all concerned if in future they stopped announcing strikes, and simply informed us of which days they plan to work normally.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.