Search

Has CE got a new high price structure

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2018, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Has CE got a new high price structure

Hi All.

Normal Monday morning GLA-LGW 09.35 and CE is normally £112 etc. Looking at 25/06 and it is £227. On expert flyer there is only 2 rows of club and 4 out of 8 are booked. Normally there are 4-5 rows of club. Looking in Ecomomy row 3 and 4 are blocked out so I expect an expansion into club. Normally 4-5 weeks in advance the prices are not that high but I seem to be seeing a lot of GLA-LON CE prices at double the normal. Usually CE in advance is only £40 more than ET but this time it is £150 more.

Is this a new strategy or will seats be opened up soon?

Thanks in advance GC
Old May 24, 2018, 7:48 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Could be due to the new policy of only 7 rows in CE, less supply resulting in higher prices to match demand and supply (all things being equal etc).
Old May 24, 2018, 7:49 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Have you looked at other dates?
Old May 24, 2018, 7:50 am

Someone else mentioned this on another thread

I suspect the numbers have been crunched and the beancounters have calculated that selling the extra seat on a peak flight that is going to sell out will yield more profit than the cheaper CE seats
Old May 24, 2018, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ringingup
Have you looked at other dates?

Nope I need those dates. Only two rows of CE and next two in ET blocked.
Old May 24, 2018, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Worcester
Could be due to the new policy of only 7 rows in CE, less supply resulting in higher prices to match demand and supply (all things being equal etc).
Perhaps they are managing the supply because there are only two rows in CE. ET starts in row 3 but row 3-4 are blocked on Expert flyer.
Old May 24, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by GlasgowCyclops
Looking on EF, none of the flights on that date have any I class availability on the GLA-LGW direction, and the flight you are looking has no R class availability either.

So it looks like they've sold as many of the cheapest and second cheapest buckets as they are willing to.

It doesn't seem systematic - look further into the future (end of July for example) and there is I class available. Not that it helps you
Old May 24, 2018, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Oh well. I'll either book ET (BA losing a sale at a higher price) or wait and if ET goes up look at EZY (BA looses a total sale). Only want CE for the extra TP's to get closer to 2,500 points faster to use my GUF2 for a Nov flight.
Old May 24, 2018, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BertieBadger
Looking on EF, none of the flights on that date have any I class availability on the GLA-LGW direction, and the flight you are looking has no R class availability either.

So it looks like they've sold as many of the cheapest and second cheapest buckets as they are willing to.

It doesn't seem systematic - look further into the future (end of July for example) and there is I class available. Not that it helps you
Thanks it does. I fly every month around the same time on that flight and back . I'll book that now. It is a pain that you cant book a mixed class flight on the website ET + CE return so I need to phone.

I'll need to figure out more of Expert flyer. :-)
Old May 24, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Thanks it does. I fly every month around the same time on that flight and back . I'll book that now. It is a pain that you cant book a mixed class flight on the website ET + CE return so I need to phone.

I'll need to figure out more of Expert flyer. :-)
You can also use ITA Matrix to some degree to work out fare bucket availability but it's a bit clumsier. It can really only do a "yes/no" check for a given bucket (well, that's all I know how to do!)

But I think you just got unlucky, by e.g. July 23rd, that flight is back at £111 it seems.

You can always try AUP at GLA as well, just in case they don't fill it
Old May 24, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I was asking because, if something around price structure had changed, it would probably affect other dates too.
Old May 24, 2018, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ringingup
I was asking because, if something around price structure had changed, it would probably affect other dates too.
Good point. I may just go on Sunday an have a full day working on Monday. Thanks for the help folks :-)
Old May 24, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: BA, Accor, Hilton, ITA
You can always book the cheapest on the day and hope to move it! I've done it a couple of times on other routes very occasionally. For instance once the early morning flight was only £99, and the one I wanted was £349. I took a chance and booked the £99 flight and moved it at midnight. A fretful game, I know, but I do it now and again if it suits me.
Old May 24, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Book ET and wait for discounted upgrade?
I'm ET on EDI-LCY soon and I noticed they were flogging me a CE upgrade £99, then £70. Then at -72Hours down to £59.
So I would book ET and wait.
Old May 24, 2018, 12:33 pm

All flights out of GLA and EDI will be packed around this date due to the start if the school summer holidays and the great getaway from Scotland to anywhere warmer. Some years ago I worked on check in and the week or so before the schools break flights are filled with people trying to get away before the schools break up and increasingly those who have taken the kids out of school a few days early. Demand for seats in euro traveler has probably reduced Club capacity. Glasgow schools finish at lunchtime on the Tuesday 26th, so GLA likely to be extremely busy the weekend prior and the Monday as no doubt many will skip the last couple of days at school. Good luck with the likely lengthy queues at security. I sympathise as I am on EDI LHR the day after our school holidays start.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.