Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wine bottles as checked luggage

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2018, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by ringingup
Wasn't a similar thread to this created a few days ago? Lots of tax evaders I can see.
Looks like customs will be able to pick up @Cris L with their stash
Old May 24, 2018, 9:19 am

I use a combination of those above. If your bottle breaks, I'd be more worried about BA chasing you for damages (if it has damaged other luggage) than getting compensation.

That said, at a bottle price of £16-20 I'd probably just buy it locally (assuming you're not talking some wine that's not exported).
Old May 24, 2018, 9:53 am

Just a thought to share:

I have wrapped wine in diapers (one around the neck of the bottle, one around the base) and have never had a problem. Diapers are cheap, but I like the air cushion bag shared by ringingup better.
Old May 24, 2018, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Thanks for all the reco, I feel much more confident now!

This is wine I really enjoy and I don't really want to buy random bottles in a shop.
Old May 24, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Originally Posted by lavajava
Looks like customs will be able to pick up @Cris L with their stash
Whoever made the assumption that I was doing anything illegal? Belgian or Spanish customs make out like a bandit, but unfortunately not usually the British!
Old May 24, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Originally Posted by MIAFlyer
Just a thought to share:

I have wrapped wine in diapers (one around the neck of the bottle, one around the base) and have never had a problem. Diapers are cheap, but I like the air cushion bag shared by ringingup better.
Other upside of disposable nappies is that if there is breakage, they will be able to soak a lot of it up and trap it in the nappy.
Old May 24, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by ringingup
Wasn't a similar thread to this created a few days ago? Lots of tax evaders I can see.
You're assuming people are travelling alone...
Old May 24, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MaximeD
Thanks for all the reco, I feel much more confident now!

This is wine I really enjoy and I don't really want to buy random bottles in a shop.
Which wine is it, if you don’t mind me asking?!
Old May 24, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I have successfully carried bottles of wine and sometimes beer on many flights just wrapped in clothes inside a rigid suitcase even with the added risk of connecting flights.

Three bottles of expensive NZ wine survived Auckland-Hong Kong-London with Cathay Pacific. While to the amusement of some beer loving friends I brought four large bottles of Ponghak beer costing EUR 0.55 each back from Pyongyang via Beijing and Helsinki with Air Koryo and Finnair.
Old May 24, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by gingerlucy
You're assuming people are travelling alone...
True. Or not declaring it...

Now out of curiosity, when they say “You can’t combine allowances with other people to bring in more than your individual allowance”, what does it actually mean? You cannot use just one suitcase for two people for example?
Old May 24, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by MaximeD
I'm flying in J from LHR to GVA next month for a stag-do and I wanted to bring 4-5 bottles of wine that I really like and I want to share with my friends.
Sounds like the lamest bachelor party ever.
Old May 24, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by wds17
Sounds like the lamest bachelor party ever.
It sounds like class to me.
Old May 24, 2018, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
You would carry wine TO Geneva? There's loads of good wine there already and the canton de Genève has made incredible progress in the last few years. Go into the Manor department store and find the wine cellar in the lower basement, they have a good collection of local wines in the CHF10-15 range.
Old May 24, 2018, 4:55 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
I have brought wine back to Alaska from all over the world wrapped in clothing and never lost a bottle. Just make sure they are not able to move around in the bag during the journey and you should be fine. I do not take wine with me when I travel away from home, preferring to sample the local juice while traveling.
Old May 24, 2018, 8:09 pm

Programs: Marco Polo, BA Executive club, SPG, Hyatt,
I bring bottles all the time and the maximum I had in a suitcase is 6. Usually if it is just one or two I'd wrapped it with my clothes and put them right in the middle (to avoid potential damage from collision with other luggage). If you put them on the side and around the corner then they will break.

For the 6, I used something called "Wine Skin" which is quite popular in states. I had 3 and I also have some bubble wrapping so that they are secured. I put them in the middle as mentioned above, but with extra clothing in between them.

I used this method for Champagne, Sake, regular wine bottles. No problem at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.