FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Wine bottles as checked luggage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1910937-wine-bottles-checked-luggage.html)

lavajava May 24, 2018 9:03 am

Originally Posted by ringingup (Post 29789615)
Wasn't a similar thread to this created a few days ago? Lots of tax evaders I can see. :p

Looks like customs will be able to pick up @Cris L with their stash ;)

dodgeflyer May 24, 2018 9:19 am

I use a combination of those above. If your bottle breaks, I'd be more worried about BA chasing you for damages (if it has damaged other luggage) than getting compensation.

That said, at a bottle price of £16-20 I'd probably just buy it locally (assuming you're not talking some wine that's not exported).

MIAFlyer May 24, 2018 9:53 am

Just a thought to share:

I have wrapped wine in diapers (one around the neck of the bottle, one around the base) and have never had a problem. Diapers are cheap, but I like the air cushion bag shared by ringingup better.

MaximeD May 24, 2018 9:59 am

Thanks for all the reco, I feel much more confident now!

This is wine I really enjoy and I don't really want to buy random bottles in a shop.

Cris L May 24, 2018 10:01 am

Originally Posted by lavajava (Post 29789696)
Looks like customs will be able to pick up @Cris L with their stash ;)

Whoever made the assumption that I was doing anything illegal? Belgian or Spanish customs make out like a bandit, but unfortunately not usually the British!

mjh0 May 24, 2018 10:03 am

Originally Posted by MIAFlyer (Post 29789891)
Just a thought to share:

I have wrapped wine in diapers (one around the neck of the bottle, one around the base) and have never had a problem. Diapers are cheap, but I like the air cushion bag shared by ringingup better.

Other upside of disposable nappies is that if there is breakage, they will be able to soak a lot of it up and trap it in the nappy.

gingerlucy May 24, 2018 10:58 am

Originally Posted by ringingup (Post 29789615)
Wasn't a similar thread to this created a few days ago? Lots of tax evaders I can see. :p

You're assuming people are travelling alone...

ENTP May 24, 2018 11:18 am

Originally Posted by MaximeD (Post 29789910)
Thanks for all the reco, I feel much more confident now!

This is wine I really enjoy and I don't really want to buy random bottles in a shop.

Which wine is it, if you don’t mind me asking?!

V800 May 24, 2018 11:56 am

I have successfully carried bottles of wine and sometimes beer on many flights just wrapped in clothes inside a rigid suitcase even with the added risk of connecting flights.

Three bottles of expensive NZ wine survived Auckland-Hong Kong-London with Cathay Pacific. While to the amusement of some beer loving friends I brought four large bottles of Ponghak beer costing EUR 0.55 each back from Pyongyang via Beijing and Helsinki with Air Koryo and Finnair.

ringingup May 24, 2018 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by gingerlucy (Post 29790158)
You're assuming people are travelling alone...

True. Or not declaring it...

Now out of curiosity, when they say “You can’t combine allowances with other people to bring in more than your individual allowance”, what does it actually mean? You cannot use just one suitcase for two people for example?

wds17 May 24, 2018 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by MaximeD (Post 29789354)
I'm flying in J from LHR to GVA next month for a stag-do and I wanted to bring 4-5 bottles of wine that I really like and I want to share with my friends.

Sounds like the lamest bachelor party ever.

ringingup May 24, 2018 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by wds17 (Post 29790905)
Sounds like the lamest bachelor party ever.

It sounds like class to me. ;)

Concerto May 24, 2018 3:37 pm

You would carry wine TO Geneva? There's loads of good wine there already and the canton de Genève has made incredible progress in the last few years. Go into the Manor department store and find the wine cellar in the lower basement, they have a good collection of local wines in the CHF10-15 range.

BOB W May 24, 2018 4:55 pm

I have brought wine back to Alaska from all over the world wrapped in clothing and never lost a bottle. Just make sure they are not able to move around in the bag during the journey and you should be fine. I do not take wine with me when I travel away from home, preferring to sample the local juice while traveling.

HKUSFLYER May 24, 2018 8:09 pm

I bring bottles all the time and the maximum I had in a suitcase is 6. Usually if it is just one or two I'd wrapped it with my clothes and put them right in the middle (to avoid potential damage from collision with other luggage). If you put them on the side and around the corner then they will break.

For the 6, I used something called "Wine Skin" which is quite popular in states. I had 3 and I also have some bubble wrapping so that they are secured. I put them in the middle as mentioned above, but with extra clothing in between them.

I used this method for Champagne, Sake, regular wine bottles. No problem at all.