Wiki Posts
Search

Help With Flights To South Africa Please

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2018, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by eugegall
I'm looking to book tonight. Do you think I could better this?
At current flight-only CW fares ex-AMS, that's pretty much the lowest price. The only further possible tweaks you could make to that would be using different airports to reduce the TFC slightly, but if flying LCY-AMS for the last sector is your best option, then the saving in going for LGW-AMS is likely to be outweighed by the extra hassle of picking a less convenient routing.
Old May 24, 2018, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks all for your help.

I ended up calling and emailing a really helpful person at BA who booked the flights for me over the phone.

£1564 each return is a great price so thank you all for your help and advice.

oxtailsoup and mikeyfly like this.
Old May 24, 2018, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oxtailsoup
We booked it on BA.com. We used ITA matrix to find the flights first and then booked it on BA.com and played around a bit before discovering that booking it as a flight+car was slightly cheaper again and allowed us to book with just a deposit.

i would suggest sharing the dates you are looking for and some kind sole will help you. I’m off to bed but will look tomorrow if no one else has already done so.

For help on ITA Matrix... have a look at the TP Run thread. You may get to bed late though!
Originally Posted by oxtailsoup
We paid £1500 for AMS to JNB just a few weeks ago and managed to upgrade to First too. We get the AMS to LHR sector out of the way the evening before which helps our situation.

Have you tried pricing it up as a flight plus car? That reduced the price for us a bit and allowed us to pay a deposit.

might also be worth using ITA Tools to search for the lowest fares from EU for the dates you need. After finding the best price option... then add car hire on BA to lower it some more.
Hey,

Can you tell me a little about your upgrade to first. I would love to do this for at least one of the legs.

Please note that we have now booked club return EX-AMS.

Cheers
Old May 24, 2018, 10:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Hey,

Can you tell me a little about your upgrade to first. I would love to do this for at least one of the legs.

Cheers
There are 2 reward seats in First on the 22nd (if this is the date booked for your return). However it is on the BA054. To secure these seats you just phone up and ask them to upgrade you using Avios and as long as you have enough points the seats are yours.
Old May 25, 2018, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by antipest
There are 2 reward seats in First on the 22nd (if this is the date booked for your return). However it is on the BA054. To secure these seats you just phone up and ask them to upgrade you using Avios and as long as you have enough points the seats are yours.
Thanks for this.

Do you know how many Avios this is? Also is it worth switching from A380 to 747?
Old May 25, 2018, 1:31 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Those last few options seem good prices - I'd book those.

Remember also that the reward flights themselves for LHR / CPT direct often get snapped up at T-364 (ie the day after they go on sale) in my understanding.

Certainly when we went in November we were really struggling, and that's with every option available to us - hundreds of thousands of Avois to use up, a BA Amex 241 voucher and status related options.

The one thing you simply can't get around at the end of the day is that J may actually be full on that route. And if not, so near to being full that there's no real need or incentive on BA's part to slash the fares.

Fwiw we did JNB >> PLZ and then CPT >> JNB with Comair and it was perfectly fine. So if you really want J and CPT ends up being the sticking point, go with a nice A380 to JNB I say.
Old May 25, 2018, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pascoe
Those last few options seem good prices - I'd book those.

Remember also that the reward flights themselves for LHR / CPT direct often get snapped up at T-364 (ie the day after they go on sale) in my understanding.

Certainly when we went in November we were really struggling, and that's with every option available to us - hundreds of thousands of Avois to use up, a BA Amex 241 voucher and status related options.

The one thing you simply can't get around at the end of the day is that J may actually be full on that route. And if not, so near to being full that there's no real need or incentive on BA's part to slash the fares.

Fwiw we did JNB >> PLZ and then CPT >> JNB with Comair and it was perfectly fine. So if you really want J and CPT ends up being the sticking point, go with a nice A380 to JNB I say.
Thanks for this.

We've booked the JNB return on the A380 anyway as as the previous posted said, there is F reward availability but on the 747 later flight. I think we'll just stay in club and save our air miles. We don't have that many.

Really nice to hear Comair is fine. Was a little concerned but I'll get that booked as soon as I know our itinerary.

Thanks again.
Old May 25, 2018, 2:25 am

We went Comair in business and both the flight and the SLOW lounge were great. The toilets in CPT were really quite interesting as I've never sat on the toilet in full view of the apron before (I think there was some modesty glass in place but still I was basically looking out on aircraft taxiing past.
Old May 25, 2018, 2:28 am
Original Poster

We went Comair in business and both the flight and the SLOW lounge were great. The toilets in CPT were really quite interesting as I've never sat on the toilet in full view of the apron before (I think there was some modesty glass in place but still I was basically looking out on aircraft taxiing past.
Haha that sounds incredible.

I mean I get stage fright at the best of times so this sounds interesting.

I'm assuming you earn tier points and miles on that?
Old May 25, 2018, 2:50 am

Programs: IHG Platinum; Marriott Silver; Avis president's: Hertz President's
Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
Be quick booking any domestic flights in SA. The SA CAA has just announced the grounding of the entire SA Express fleet due to safety concerns so there will be a big drop in domestic capacity (prices up) until it gets sorted.
JNB to CPT was not an SA Express route, so it shouldn't impact the OP at all.

There is now a set of blinds in the loo with a view.
Old May 25, 2018, 2:58 am

Comair is great. The service in both Y and J is better than BA, and the SLOW lounge is one of my favourites.

We did something similar to the OP only last month and while I planned to use Avios for the CPT-JNB leg (there are many flights a day, and most had availability), I was shocked when I checked cash fares. I think we paid about £80 each for Y but could have got it for about £50 if we'd gone a couple of hours earlier. That was Y of course, for which we enjoyed lounge access (courtesy of GC), plenty of legroom, a hot meal and a couple of rounds of drinks from CC who were professional, cheerful and seemed very happy to be doing their job. Reminded me of the BA of yesteryear really.
Old May 25, 2018, 3:04 am

Yes full BA TPs and hat I assume is also full Avios although as I have more than I can use at present I admit I don't always check these. But the TPs were standard full BA scheme for sure. 40 each way.
eugegall likes this.
Old May 25, 2018, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I'm assuming you earn tier points and miles on that?
Comair (ie BA-coded flights, not the MN-coded kulula-branded flights) is sometimes said here to be what BA short-haul ought to be, but isn't.

Otherwise, for almost all purposes (including earning Avios and TPs) you can treat BA-coded Comair flights as if they were BA mainline flights. The differences are pretty small - perhaps the most noticeable to a passenger are the Noah's Ark selection of configurations that sometimes doesn't get firmed up until the morning of the flight, so you may have little idea where you'll actually be sitting; and the more restrictive cabin baggage limit.
eugegall likes this.
Old May 25, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
@eugegall: great to know you've managed to book the BA flights! An alternative to think about when you go to SA again is Qatar. I flew to South Africa in March with them for a similar price (c.£1200). Excellent product. Only slight quirk was that it was ex-Sofia, but managed to spend an interesting weekend in the city before heading over to SA.
eugegall likes this.
Old May 25, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club
Hey,

Cheers
Hi,
I was able to request an upgrade to F for the whole family (x4) because it is one of the benefits of BA GGL status. It’s often referred to on this forum as a Joker. As a GGL member you are given two Jokers per year. Each Joker allows the member to open up reward availability on almost any BA flight for up to five people.

Congratulations on your flights btw! Good price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.