Help With Flights To South Africa Please

Old May 24, 2018, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
As noted, not putting CPT in the mix will bring the price down considerably. I note you aren't keen on the return leg to AMS. You can avoid the luggage issue by making your journey back JNB-LHR / LCY-AMS.

Will possibly be £15 or so more per person, but will allow you to terminate your travels at Heathrow fairly painlessly
Old May 24, 2018, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Subscribed to Thread ... very interesting! we usually use a 2-4-1 to CPT, but this offer some interesting cash alternatives.
mikeyfly and The_Bouncer like this.
Old May 24, 2018, 4:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Not being one of those who can afford Club or First, but a regular to SA, being a SA citizen.

Actually on my way right now to start an Ex EU to Johannesburg, which is actually ex Brussels. I find that many of my flights to SA start here as this is often the cheapest starting point.

Another point worth exploring is that I have occasionally found the IB website sells BA flights cheaper than the BA website.
Old May 24, 2018, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi, Cris L ... hope you're well?

What airline ex-BRU, please? I hope it's OW and not one of those European things!
Cris L likes this.
Old May 24, 2018, 6:10 am

Programs: BA Silver AA Lifetime Gold
I flew this route last month, CPT was coming out expensive but booking a multicity AMS-LGW//LHR-JNB-CPT-JNB-LHR//LGW-AMS bought the price down to the aforementioned 1550GBP mark.
By the way, we did the first AMS back to back the day before, nice and easy especially with no bags. The return to AMS was supposed to be the same day as arrival into LHR but thanks to a cancellation of a LGW-AMS rotation I was able to rebook it for the following day even though the connection was more than 24hours.
I was travelling with my Mum and she struggled to understand why the little turn around in AMS saved the pair of us 3000GBP even though we were taking two more flights.

Spike
Old May 24, 2018, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Funky Spike
I flew this route last month, CPT was coming out expensive but booking a multicity AMS-LGW//LHR-JNB-CPT-JNB-LHR//LGW-AMS bought the price down to the aforementioned 1550GBP mark.
By the way, we did the first AMS back to back the day before, nice and easy especially with no bags. The return to AMS was supposed to be the same day as arrival into LHR but thanks to a cancellation of a LGW-AMS rotation I was able to rebook it for the following day even though the connection was more than 24hours.
I was travelling with my Mum and she struggled to understand why the little turn around in AMS saved the pair of us 3000GBP even though we were taking two more flights.

Spike
Nicely done! May I be as nosy as to ask how you priced this route up (e.g. website and routing AMS-LON vs AMS-LGW vs AMS-JNB etc.)?
Old May 24, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Slightly OT: how are you bringing the price down by including a car? More specifically: what route are you using on the BA site: straight Flight+Car booking or choosing the flights then adding a car...?

Reason being I was hoping to look at a mixed class itinerary, so Flight+Car won't work as that doesn't present mixed options. I've never seen the add a car option bring the price down, though - are they doing different things entirely?
Old May 24, 2018, 8:07 am

I just saved £600 off my flight to the US by adding a car just using the flight+car option.
Stez, T8191 and DannoTheManno like this.
Old May 24, 2018, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
I just saved £600 off my flight to the US by adding a car just using the flight+car option.
Nice one, Wotsie! ... and mwah again!
windowontheAside likes this.
Old May 24, 2018, 8:32 am

Be quick booking any domestic flights in SA. The SA CAA has just announced the grounding of the entire SA Express fleet due to safety concerns so there will be a big drop in domestic capacity (prices up) until it gets sorted.
Old May 24, 2018, 8:47 am

I tried this and it doubled my price
Old May 24, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: BA Silver AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by DannoTheManno
Nicely done! May I be as nosy as to ask how you priced this route up (e.g. website and routing AMS-LON vs AMS-LGW vs AMS-JNB etc.)?
Sure, priced up on BA.com. Six sectors AMS-LGW (although this still includes all LON airports in the results), LHR-JNB, JNB-CPT and reverse. Must admit though best I'm seeing at the moment is around 2kGBP

Spike
Old May 24, 2018, 9:25 am

Not quire what's desired but you can also do the same trip with LH/OS/ET (though two stops) in the manner you want.
Old May 24, 2018, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Hi All,

I ran out of posts last night.

I'm looking to book tonight. Do you think I could better this?

Old May 24, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: BAEC gold, Virgin gold, M&M Senatorgold
Recently (3 weeks ago) booked LHR-CPT-LHR for £1250, with car hire included,via BA holidays, in WT+ and have upgraded with avios to CW. Might be worth a look? ( I usually do the AMS trip but prices have been consistently high recently so took this option from LHR)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.