Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Checked baggage pilferage claim denied — any options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Checked baggage pilferage claim denied — any options?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2018, 9:05 pm

Programs: BAEC - back to lowly blue. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
So all baggage handlers are thieving magpies then?
Oy vey. Not what I said but I apologize for offending you.
Old May 23, 2018, 10:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Hijacking thread slightly.

Interesting. I had not read that in the conditions of carriage for BA.

I regularly travel with up to 36 laptops for work. They go in pelicases which go in the hold. If BA lost them they would be able to just say "Hey Ho"?
Old May 24, 2018, 3:17 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by flyingmonkie
Hijacking thread slightly.

Interesting. I had not read that in the conditions of carriage for BA.

I regularly travel with up to 36 laptops for work. They go in pelicases which go in the hold. If BA lost them they would be able to just say "Hey Ho"?
pretty much. Hope you have good insurance that covers this exception. It’s different to a courier having GIT insurance (Goods in Transit not insurance against coming into contact with gits- mores the pity) that would cover them. If you sent them via BA cargo you’d likely have more rights.

Using BA’s normal luggage system means there’s an assumption about the value of goods and you are deemed to have accepted this and either insure for the extra risk or accept that BA won’t give you the value of the goods.

unfortunately while using pelicases protects from impact it also marks the cases out as valuables
Old May 24, 2018, 4:08 am

Programs: BA Gold

pretty much. Hope you have good insurance that covers this exception. It’s different to a courier having GIT insurance (Goods in Transit not insurance against coming into contact with gits- mores the pity) that would cover them. If you sent them via BA cargo you’d likely have more rights.

Using BA’s normal luggage system means there’s an assumption about the value of goods and you are deemed to have accepted this and either insure for the extra risk or accept that BA won’t give you the value of the goods.

unfortunately while using pelicases protects from impact it also marks the cases out as valuables
Yep they're insured for everything except being stolen out of an unlocked vehicle. I have assumed that that does not categorise a plane or a baggage truck as an "unlocked vehicle" but I will double check.

It is what it is I guess because there's very little other option and I understand the risk with Pelicases but you should have seen the attrition rate before we switched to them even with our best bubble wrapping etc.
Old May 24, 2018, 6:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Thomathy
Isn’t it a puzzle that this can happen at all.

Presuming the bag is not somehow left outside the secured area, items cannot be stolen by any passer-by. Which leads to the depressing idea that it is the airlines own staff, or the staff of their contractors, actively stealing from their customers. How mean-spirited to go out of your way to steal from someone’s personal possessions.

Perhaps a naive view, but I find it so hard to picture what a person like this could look like or be like. I am sure they cannot simply be intrinsically ‘bad’ people, for I have never met one of those. They must have friends, relatives, even partners, and cannot live in complete isolation from others. I wonder if they tell their friends, relatives and partners when they get home, what they have done?

I suppose that is a bigger question than one of just airline baggage. Airlines do appear to be astonishingly blasé about it, though. I would be absolutely appalled if I learned that one of my colleagues was stealing from a customer, rather than considering it par for the course.
Just Google 'TSA Theft' and you'll suddenly get a very depressing overview of just how often airport/TSA employees steal from luggage. Apparently over 400 TSA employees were fired between 2002 and 2011 for stealing from customer's luggage, and those were just the ones who were caught...
Old May 24, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage,
Originally Posted by Soupey202
So what would happen if you had put your electronics in a carry on but the airline insisted on taking it off you at the gate as it was a busy flight and they went missing. Could they still deny liability?
This is why I carry a totebag inside my carry on. That way if they ask me to gate check my perfectly legal carry on I can offload the valuables and batteries, which include camera equipment.
Old May 24, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage,
Originally Posted by JayeJ
The particular incident I was thinking of occurred in '97, before TSA was going through everything. Additionally I believe that TSA will leave a note inside and I can't imagine that they leave things inside an absolute mess.
TSA does leave a note, and in my experience doesn't leave a complete mess. I have a duffle bag that I check when flying SW. Apparently it looks like something a terrorist would own, because it gets searched EVERY trip, both legs. They always leave a not. Nothing has ever gone missing, but I check nothing that anyone would want.
JayeJ likes this.
Old May 24, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
So all baggage handlers are thieving magpies then? That is the undercurrent of what you are saying.
That isn't what was being said at all by my reading. If 1% or less were pilfering before then no reason to expect that they won't be now as well. That doesn't implicate the other 99%.
JayeJ likes this.
Old May 25, 2018, 4:41 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
That isn't what was being said at all by my reading. If 1% or less were pilfering before then no reason to expect that they won't be now as well. That doesn't implicate the other 99%.
I was questioning the overtones as it was across several posts, that were based on incidents 21 years ago. I was questioning because that's how it came across to me. Highly subjective I know, but there are a lot of conspiracy theorists out there and that doesn't actually assist the situation at all.

I had my bags left behind in Johannesburg by QF for a week. I had an expensive tripod in there that was too big to carry on. I'm talking £1500 in value. Now Jo'burg is known as one of those places you don't check in more than you need. Everything was intact. Tripod was there when the cases arrived in AKL. I was more likely to leave the tripod myself than have it stolen in Jo'burg - 4 years on that is precisely what I did on the Crown Pass in NZ. Only noticed when I'd had a few beers, and it wasn't there when I went back in a taxi. Now THAT'S an expensive mistake...
Old May 25, 2018, 7:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Those traveling on work-related matters will likely find that business equipment is covered by the employer's all perils or other coverage. There may be exclusions and deductions, but that is a starting point. Conversely, many employers prohibit the transport of valuables or even valuable data in checked luggage absent a legal requirement (such as the ME laptop ban for those where it still exists.
Old May 25, 2018, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by flyingmonkie
Yep they're insured for everything except being stolen out of an unlocked vehicle. I have assumed that that does not categorise a plane or a baggage truck as an "unlocked vehicle" but I will double check.
You never know with insurance companies. They may categorise it as an unlocked and unattended vehicle once it is parked at the gate, the hold is opened and you have disembarked .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.