Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Checked baggage pilferage claim denied — any options?

Checked baggage pilferage claim denied — any options?

Old May 23, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by Often1
I presume that it is the claimant's burden. I am not certain that I want BA or any carrier to spend at the level likely required to track bags and match them to CCTV images. The technology is certainly there and would only require an RFID chip in every bag tag as well as camera coverage from the hold to the carousel.

But, the reality is that relatively few bags go missing and even fewer of those suffer thefts of anything one would consider valuable.

Everything costs something and the better question is how many people want to pay appreciably higher ticket prices in order to make this happen. Far better to let passengers who want to store valuables in their checked luggage pay a special fee which would have the bag off-loaded and accountably handled to a location where it would be signed for by the passenger on arrival. This might well cost a lot of money, but for those who insist on checking a laptop, so be it.
I guess that's why the Montreal convention exists. To put a maximum claimable amount, which BA has to take into account when handling luggage. It's a risk they can take as a business, but they shouldn't chicken out of paying the compensation if they are not employing due care.
Old May 23, 2018, 1:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Takiteasy
Are we saying that if in the exact same situation the OP had claimed for some Blahniks instead of a laptop the claim would have been paid by BA?
Not explicitly, but the reason personal electronics are specifically excluded is that these tend to be more valuable. With expensive clothes you just have to accept that the carrier’s liability is limited. We had someone on here not let my ago moaning that BA spilled something on his LV carry-on....
Old May 23, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Did the OP lock his case? Could have a bearing on the case.
Old May 23, 2018, 3:31 pm

So what would happen if you had put your electronics in a carry on but the airline insisted on taking it off you at the gate as it was a busy flight and they went missing. Could they still deny liability?
Old May 23, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: BA
Isn’t it a puzzle that this can happen at all.

Presuming the bag is not somehow left outside the secured area, items cannot be stolen by any passer-by. Which leads to the depressing idea that it is the airlines own staff, or the staff of their contractors, actively stealing from their customers. How mean-spirited to go out of your way to steal from someone’s personal possessions.

Perhaps a naive view, but I find it so hard to picture what a person like this could look like or be like. I am sure they cannot simply be intrinsically ‘bad’ people, for I have never met one of those. They must have friends, relatives, even partners, and cannot live in complete isolation from others. I wonder if they tell their friends, relatives and partners when they get home, what they have done?

I suppose that is a bigger question than one of just airline baggage. Airlines do appear to be astonishingly blasé about it, though. I would be absolutely appalled if I learned that one of my colleagues was stealing from a customer, rather than considering it par for the course.
Old May 23, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: BAEC - back to lowly blue. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Thomathy
Isn’t it a puzzle that this can happen at all.

Presuming the bag is not somehow left outside the secured area, items cannot be stolen by any passer-by. Which leads to the depressing idea that it is the airlines own staff, or the staff of their contractors, actively stealing from their customers. How mean-spirited to go out of your way to steal from someone’s personal possessions....
Am I missing the sarcasm? I can't count the number of times our checked luggage has been rifled through. Nothing taken because we don't put any valuables there but zippers were broken and fasteners cut in order for them to get access. They took the shoe mitt off one of a new pair of shoes and "lost" it but fortunately put the shoes back in, just to show how much time they were able to spend going through our things. Very disconcerting to open up your bag and see that everything is completely tossed. We had a heck of a time getting the airline to fix the zippers (maiden voyage of new luggage.)
Old May 23, 2018, 7:11 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by JayeJ
Am I missing the sarcasm? I can't count the number of times our checked luggage has been rifled through. Nothing taken because we don't put any valuables there but zippers were broken and fasteners cut in order for them to get access. They took the shoe mitt off one of a new pair of shoes and "lost" it but fortunately put the shoes back in, just to show how much time they were able to spend going through our things. Very disconcerting to open up your bag and see that everything is completely tossed. We had a heck of a time getting the airline to fix the zippers (maiden voyage of new luggage.)
Are you sure your bag hasn't been searched by TSA or similar? Very easy to have conspiracy theoritis in this area.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old May 23, 2018, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by Soupey202
So what would happen if you had put your electronics in a carry on but the airline insisted on taking it off you at the gate as it was a busy flight and they went missing. Could they still deny liability?
If my carryon is selected, I take my laptop out.
awayIgo likes this.
Old May 23, 2018, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
Are you sure your bag hasn't been searched by TSA or similar? Very easy to have conspiracy theoritis in this area.
The particular incident I was thinking of occurred in '97, before TSA was going through everything. Additionally I believe that TSA will leave a note inside and I can't imagine that they leave things inside an absolute mess. I had everything neatly folded and when I got it back it was in a complete upheaval. It was obvious someone had thrown everything around in there. Several people in my (family) group traveling on the same flights had their bags rifled through at that same airport.

To get back to the OP's issue, I do occasionally hear about electronics and certain medications being stolen from checked bags and wonder how it is that the thieves know which bags to rifle through, or are they going through so many bags that they are bound to hit pay dirt from time to time... law of averages type of thing?
Old May 23, 2018, 7:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
The TSA.did not exist in 1997.l
Old May 23, 2018, 7:55 pm

The particular incident I was thinking of occurred in '97, before TSA was going through everything. Additionally I believe that TSA will leave a note inside and I can't imagine that they leave things inside an absolute mess. I had everything neatly folded and when I got it back it was in a complete upheaval. It was obvious someone had thrown everything around in there. Several people in my (family) group traveling on the same flights had their bags rifled through at that same airport.

To get back to the OP's issue, I do occasionally hear about electronics and certain medications being stolen from checked bags and wonder how it is that the thieves know which bags to rifle through, or are they going through so many bags that they are bound to hit pay dirt from time to time... law of averages type of thing?
Well I did say TSA or similar. And you are basing your judgement on incidents that happened 21 years ago.
Old May 23, 2018, 8:17 pm

Well I did say TSA or similar. And you are basing your judgement on incidents that happened 21 years ago.
Yes, and I was responding to someone who seemed to be in disbelief that some people (perhaps an extremely small number, but it only takes a few) who work behind the scenes at airports are capable of and do routinely steal from checked luggage. There is a reason they tell you not to check valuables. It happened to a number of my family members traveling at the same time and was a poignant reminder. It's easy to become complaisant. My husband had been considering packing his video recorder for that flight but decided against it.
Old May 23, 2018, 8:33 pm

Yes, and I was responding to someone who seemed to be in disbelief that some people (perhaps an extremely small number, but it only takes a few) who work behind the scenes at airports are capable of and do routinely steal from checked luggage. There is a reason they tell you not to check valuables. It happened to a number of my family members traveling at the same time and was a poignant reminder. It's easy to become complaisant. My husband had been considering packing his video recorder for that flight but decided against it.
You haven't considered that security arrangements have changed in 21 years at all?
Old May 23, 2018, 8:40 pm

You haven't considered that security arrangements have changed in 21 years at all?
I would hope they have but clearly nothing is perfect. You can change the system but people don't change.
Old May 23, 2018, 8:53 pm

I would hope they have but clearly nothing is perfect. You can change the system but people don't change.
So all baggage handlers are thieving magpies then? That is the undercurrent of what you are saying.

Yes insurance companies tell you that they generally won't cover valuables checked in to the hold, but that is part of their profiteering. They want you to pay for insurance as well as you managing their risk for them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.