Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Protein Balls in the Lounge [Niche product promotion, LHR F lounge]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Protein Balls in the Lounge [Niche product promotion, LHR F lounge]

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2018, 6:26 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by PETER01
I fully agree with you here, looks like some cheap stand which you'd see in a shopping mall and doesn't belong in any lounge especially in a First Class Lounge at Heathrow but I'd also apply that to GC or any other airline lounge. It just doesn't seem aesthetically right.

Out of curiosity do any other lounges do this sort of thing with commercial stands? I personally haven't seen any but I am not that well travelled compared to many, many folks on here.
I was actually sitting right next to it last week and didn't find it particularly intrusive - in fact it was quite interesting to hear some of the things the rep was talking about.

If you were elsewhere in the lounge you'd probably not even know it was there.

Unlike the Samsung 'in yer face' displays these are very low key, the products likely have a reasonably wide appeal, so I don't foresee many objections in practice. By adding something different to the food offering I think it probably, on balance, adds to the lounge experience rather than detracts from it.
Old May 23, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Originally Posted by PETER01
I fully agree with you here, looks like some cheap stand which you'd see in a shopping mall and doesn't belong in any lounge especially in a First Class Lounge at Heathrow but I'd also apply that to GC or any other airline lounge. It just doesn't seem aesthetically right.

Out of curiosity do any other lounges do this sort of thing with commercial stands? I personally haven't seen any but I am not that well travelled compared to many, many folks on here.
Thats a good point, the meantime and olive promo's were much less in your face than particular stand
PETER01 and lostinlondon like this.
Old May 23, 2018, 6:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Strangely enough, there doesn't seem quite the same reaction to the various beer, cider and other alcohol led promotions, but yes there are promotions in GC and occasionally CCR too. There would be fairly obvious reasons why Flounge is preferred by some marketers.
I've never ever liked these sort of stands for any product, alcohol or otherwise, in a BA lounge. To me it cheapens the BA brand just like having the Samsung one in the CCR but of course YMMV as always.
hugolover and nancypants like this.
Old May 23, 2018, 6:34 am

Are they selling them or just giving them out?

If the latter, then I think it is a nice option to have and something that would be good to eat on board.
Old May 23, 2018, 6:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Isn't this a positive thing? It's not in your face, and you have the choice if you wish to engage with the promotional stands or not. I could understand if it caused disruption to the lounge experience.
Old May 23, 2018, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
I was actually sitting right next to it last week and didn't find it particularly intrusive - in fact it was quite interesting to hear some of the things the rep was talking about.

If you were elsewhere in the lounge you'd probably not even know it was there.

Unlike the Samsung 'in yer face' displays these are very low key, the products likely have a reasonably wide appeal, so I don't foresee many objections in practice. By adding something different to the food offering I think it probably, on balance, adds to the lounge experience rather than detracts from it.
I still think it sits better in a shopping mall type environment and not a First Class Lounge, any one or any airline lounge, but we are all different and if you enjoyed it then your at the opposite end from me. It'd be interesting if an actual survey was done to see what the users of the lounge thought but I think there may be some tut-tuts/oh dear to balance that out. All very subjective though.

Re other airline lounges I was meaning other oneworld FLounges etc, JAL, CX, QR, QF etc. Genuinely curious! Or is it just a BA thing?

Pete

Last edited by PETER01; May 23, 2018 at 6:46 am
Old May 23, 2018, 6:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The concern stems from a misplaced understanding of the lounge. A vastly changing value proposition which means that if carriers, BA included, do not find alternate sources of revenue to support lounges, the concept will either go away or the service vastly reduced.

Lounges, after all, are not free, they are simply included in the price of a ticket. That is fine if the lounge is truly limited to paid F. But, it is not and as soon as one starts expanding the population permitted entry in an environment where BA's large corporate customers are demanding better price control, the result will be to either increase commercial opportunities or reduce the lounge concept.
Old May 23, 2018, 6:46 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by jerub
Yay. This is great.

A lot of the 'snack' stuff you can take on a plane is very carb/sugar heavy, and it doesn't fill you up. Provided they have good behavior around allergies (i.e. have one or two that are glutenfree/dairyfree/vegan) they are exactly the sort of thing that are great for a meal-backup on board.
Originally Posted by flyuk
They're not bad. Overpriced for what they are, but nowadays adding "protein" to anything bumps the price and that's a great opportunity for advertising to a certain demographic.
I have been using protein bars ( as opposed to balls) as back up for lacking or disappointing meal options while travelling for ages. Handy and compact, the ones I buy online from a British based vitamin company come in great flavours. They are effectively meal replacement bars and I don't feel hungry for hours after eating them. Buying online is also way cheaper than in stores. But the fact that they pack flat make it great to travel with and eat if necessary.
Old May 23, 2018, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by Often1
The concern stems from a misplaced understanding of the lounge. A vastly changing value proposition which means that if carriers, BA included, do not find alternate sources of revenue to support lounges, the concept will either go away or the service vastly reduced.

Lounges, after all, are not free, they are simply included in the price of a ticket. That is fine if the lounge is truly limited to paid F. But, it is not and as soon as one starts expanding the population permitted entry in an environment where BA's large corporate customers are demanding better price control, the result will be to either increase commercial opportunities or reduce the lounge concept.
Misplaced? I am genuinely curious as isn't this just a subjective view or is there somewhere that would indicate this? BA are a very profitable company so I'm not so sure on this.

I hope we don't see the day when the inside of a BA LHR lounge is like a Football Stadium with advertisers all over the windows, stands, tables etc and BA staff have to have Adidas, Coca-Cola, AN Other on their uniforms!
Old May 23, 2018, 7:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I thought they'd put huevos de toro on the menu.
djbenedict and TTmex like this.
Old May 23, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Protein Balls? Is that what an egg is? Or chicken nuggets?
hugolover likes this.
Old May 23, 2018, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I don't have a problem with this as long as they are not blaring out mucus or shouting or have flashing lights.

Perhaps BA could locate them in the corridor between the F Wing and the lounge rather than in the lounge instead? Though weren't their plans to put some 'high end' retailers in there?
Old May 23, 2018, 7:32 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I'm procrastinating, so thought I'd go check out the nutrition of these protein balls. I picked a random flavor and found that 86% of the calories in these protein balls is... not actually protein. They're higher fat and less protein than eating 1/2 a steak sandwich.

I wonder if BA thought that the Protein Ball branding shared the same values as the descriptions of its Business Class seats and food?

I think BA should have stuck with Tullamore Dew in that area.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 23, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
Protein Balls? Is that what an egg is? Or chicken nuggets?
Actually, these are made by Chef from South Park.
RoyalSwazi and RockyRobin like this.
Old May 23, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I'm procrastinating, so thought I'd go check out the nutrition of these protein balls. I picked a random flavor and found that 86% of the calories in these protein balls is... not actually protein. They're higher fat and less protein than eating 1/2 a steak sandwich.

I wonder if BA thought that the Protein Ball branding shared the same values as the descriptions of its Business Class seats and food?

I think BA should have stuck with Tullamore Dew in that area.
Exactly - i'm astonished that some people think these are healthy! high fat, carbs and calorie content, with a slightly higher than average protein content for a sweet treat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.