Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Help yourself Taittinger in LGW Club Galleries

Old May 23, 2018, 2:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold (thanks to BOB), UA, Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles, Amex BAPP & Platinum

Well, certainly at 7am yesterday. Several bottles open - and replenished - in the chilled wine bar. I have never seen so much being consumed either at that hour as, I suppose, people thought: why not? Long may it last

And my day got better - local Gin back in the JER lounge!
fluffymitten likes this.
Old May 23, 2018, 2:49 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by nwmgc
Well, certainly at 7am yesterday. Several bottles open - and replenished - in the chilled wine bar. I have never seen so much being consumed either at that hour as, I suppose, people thought: why not? Long may it last

And my day got better - local Gin back in the JER lounge!
Yes this is a LGW quirk, has been the case for some time now. More details in the main LGW lounge thread.
Old May 23, 2018, 4:36 am

Programs: BA, Accor, Hilton, ITA
Is this a result of the First Part of the Lounge having limited opening times, which I think displeases many GC's as there's no free poor champagne.
Old May 23, 2018, 4:58 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by cheshirepete
Is this a result of the First Part of the Lounge having limited opening times, which I think displeases many GC's as there's no free poor champagne.
No. Apparently this is due to supply problems with the contract caterers. I had this last Saturday en route to ALC. There was Jacquart Ros as well. Most delicious.

The only problem was the very long wait for hot food. I gather that this is an ongoing issue.
Old May 23, 2018, 4:59 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
In North yes I'm sure this was part of it, since after First was closed at 16 hrs, they would leave out the champagne after the Gold cardholders had been turfed out of Flounge to assuage the inevitable complaints (and prevent the limited staffing having to constantly run around after thirsty Emeralds, self most definitely not included). However First in LGW is now open for almost all flights, it's just the late GLA and EDI (post 21 hrs) that risk a closed First lounge, so that reason has gone away.
Old May 23, 2018, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
In North yes I'm sure this was part of it, since after First was closed at 16 hrs, they would leave out the champagne after the Gold cardholders had been turfed out of Flounge to assuage the inevitable complaints (and prevent the limited staffing having to constantly run around after thirsty Emeralds, self most definitely not included). However First in LGW is now open for almost all flights, it's just the late GLA and EDI (post 21 hrs) that risk a closed First lounge, so that reason has gone away.
Ah OK, I recall last year getting the early flight to ALC I think 06:20, and the First Lounge didn't open till 7am, the reason given was there were no flights with a First Cabin that early. We mentioned what about the GC's? So, the First lounge now opens the same time as Business in the morning?
Old May 23, 2018, 5:12 am

So, the First lounge now opens the same time as Business in the morning?
Yes, hypothetically, given I'd normally assume an Emerald would not wish to be running around Gatwick at such an unearthly hour.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old May 23, 2018, 5:16 am

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
. However First in LGW is now open for almost all flights, it's just the late GLA and EDI (post 21 hrs) that risk a closed First lounge, so that reason has gone away.
Can you clarify what you mean by "risk a closed FIRST lounge". We are flying on the late GLA flight tomorrow night (for the first time) - does this mean the First lounge might stay open past its official closing time?
Old May 23, 2018, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by tuff
Can you clarify what you mean by "risk a closed FIRST lounge". We are flying on the late GLA flight tomorrow night (for the first time) - does this mean the First lounge might stay open past its official closing time?
I'm also on the late GLA flight tomorrow (as things stand). The Club lounge stays open until the last flight, and First now closes at 20:00 hrs unless one of the First cabin flights is delayed, MRU being the usual suspect. MRU does run tomorrow at 21:05, so I suspect they won't move people to Club until 20:30 (GLA is 21:30) but won't let any new admissions in after about 20:00 hrs.
Old May 23, 2018, 6:28 am

I'm also on the late GLA flight tomorrow (as things stand). The Club lounge stays open until the last flight, and First now closes at 20:00 hrs unless one of the First cabin flights is delayed, MRU being the usual suspect. MRU does run tomorrow at 21:05, so I suspect they won't move people to Club until 20:30 (GLA is 21:30) but won't let any new admissions in after about 20:00 hrs.
According to this link the times are still 07:00 for First https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...n-gatwickFirst

LoungeAfter securityWinter:07:00 – 19:30 Monday - Saturday

07:00 – 21:00 Sunday

Summer:

07:00 – 20:00 Monday - Sunday
  • customers travelling in First
  • Executive Club Gold Members (plus one guest)
  • oneworld Emerald members (plus one guest)
Old May 23, 2018, 6:30 am

According to this link the times are still 07:00 for First https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...n-gatwickFirst
There was some commentary about this in the in main LGW First lounge thread - the opening time is now 05:15 hrs and has been since the end of March 2018. In North it was 07:00 hrs to 16:00 hrs!
Old May 23, 2018, 6:36 am

There was some commentary about this in the in main LGW First lounge thread - the opening time is now 05:15 hrs and has been since the end of March 2018. In North it was 07:00 hrs to 16:00 hrs!
OK! Thanks for the info.
Old May 23, 2018, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold (thanks to BOB), UA, Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles, Amex BAPP & Platinum
Well, I do think it's all an admirable thing - whatever the reason. Talking to colleagues just now, there appears to be a marked increase in interest in LGW departures!
Old May 23, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by nwmgc
Well, I do think it's all an admirable thing - whatever the reason. Talking to colleagues just now, there appears to be a marked increase in interest in LGW departures!
Wow, with the new direct Thameslink service from north London to LGW and this I might be looking at a new favourite airport!
Tottie66 likes this.
Old May 23, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I was in the LHR Galleries Lounge South at T5 last Saturday morning.

Of course I had to start the day with bubbles - my wife was with me - but (as we know) you can get them there only if you knock on the door of the kitchen and ask for it.

Came back with 2 glasses and was watched by approx. 30 other guests who were wondering what I was doing - needless to say, 5min later there was a queue of 10 to get also some Champagne

D
tynmar likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.