BA dropping Luanda JUN18

Old May 23, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by 13900
One problem is that the UK is the wrong way in the sense of traffic going from Europe to Africa, or Europe to Asia (even though it can be argued that if folks fly through the ME or IST then why wouldn't they do the same with London?) One of my pet opinions has always been that the restrictive UK Visa regime definitely plays a part, if not for Africa certainly for Asia. I remember reading, and I cannot for the life of me find it again, that VIE had more Chinese arrivals than London. Rome definitely has more cities connecting directly to China than London. One Schengen visa gives access to 20-some countries, the UK Visa (which, I am told, is sometimes harder to get than the Schengen one) gives you only the UK! It all adds up I guess.

Plus, on a side note... if you look at the English-speaking countries in Africa, they're either all connected (Ghana, Nigeria, South Africa, Kenya) or don't have the critical mass for a direct flight and are reachable through Doha (and even that, I'd say, ain't that much of a traffic - Uganda, Tanzania, Zambia) or through SA (Botswana, Zimbabwe, Namibia) or are frankly too small...
AMS is not that far from London but look at KL routes map. They have an impressive African, South American and Chinese coverage. They seem to make thin markets work.
Old May 23, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), IHG Rewards (Gold Elite), Marriot (Gold Elite), HHonors (Gold Elite), SPG (Gold)
Well this decision is annoying. Am due to visit twice this year as Oilfield trash!

seems a strange decision as it’s always a busy flight as I understand. For those unfamiliar with Angolan visas from the UK don’t pay attention to apparent availability until T-72. On a visitor Visa from UK you have to enter Angola within 72 hours of receiving it so these flights are a last minute (airline profit making) scramble with high ticket rates. The Visa system for this country leaves a lot to be desired if you are a UK Citizen. The only people who can really properly plan flights on discounted fares that aren’t Angolan Nationals are those with official work Visas.

personally I would have thought BA were making a mint on this route despite the downturn in O&G. And oils back up at $80 and there are some decent projects progressing there....
Old May 23, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
Just as the oil price is coming back up.....
While oil prices are up, that's in large part due to an intentional reduction in production, so my understanding is that oil revenues are still down quite a bit.
Old May 23, 2018, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by mec72
With the new airport in Vic Falls, it could potentially come back as a London - Vic Falls - Harare - London triangle, in the same way e.g. KLM serves Tanzania (AMS - Kilimanjaro - Dar es Salaam - AMS).
That is not going to happen.
Old May 23, 2018, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by dylanks
While oil prices are up, that's in large part due to an intentional reduction in production, so my understanding is that oil revenues are still down quite a bit.
Quite correct especially on the service side.
Old May 23, 2018, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by BA6948

AMS is not that far from London but look at KL routes map. They have an impressive African, South American and Chinese coverage. They seem to make thin markets work.
Well, from what I could see from dealings with their Engineering branch, I sometimes wonder if AF-KL's attitude to making money isn't more 'relaxed' than BA's... But this sort of disquisitions aside, I think it's the value of being a Schengen country (and the other way round also applies).

Besides, I seem to recall that 40% of AMS' passengers are transfers; LHR's is lower at 30%. Finallt, and I hope no one gets it badly, I have a feeling that, from a touristic point of view, the overwhelming majority of people in this country would rather go to Dubai than to Colombia, to name but one.
Old May 24, 2018, 1:06 am

Programs: BAEC, A3 M&B
Originally Posted by MFCC

I love the route, and a lot of crew feel the same! Empty flights, nice hotel, good pool, good weather, decent money and BA pay $60 towards your room bill which made it a cheap trip and a decent money earner. Food was a bit rubbish but no worse than the USA . The last one I did had 17 total on the entire aircraft so not hugely surprising, although the cargo documents were always never ending which I think was the real money spinner.
Thanks, that answers my question why apparently the inbound arrives in the early morning only to sit there for almost 19 hours before departing again after midnight the next day. If cargo is the key driver, spending those hours loading lucrative freight is probably worth it.
Old May 24, 2018, 1:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by NickB
I would have thought that Comair network reflects primarily what makes economic sense from a South African perspective. Having the network be determined primarily by a couple of BA long-haul connections would be the tail wagging the dog, would it not? Comair does not have a huge fleet either. That said, I believe that they are expecting some 737 Max next year so perhaps there might be some route expansion.
I would have thought for Comair to offer it and brand it as BA, it would need decent Y and J O&D traffic. Bolt on mainline BA connecting traffic is useful, but won’t make an uneconomic route viable.

Comair have offered a variety of regional destinations in the last 10 years and then pulled out as uneconomic. These include Mozambique, Botswana and Tanzania. I would think LUN would be even less attractive, given that LUN-JNB is a fairly long back track if your final destination is north.
NickB likes this.
Old May 24, 2018, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by Confus
You are more likely to get them to agree to LHR-JNB-WDH as there’s a connection on their franchise partner. However, you’ll have to be patient for a few days for the interline team to get in touch with other carriers and see if they’ll accept reroutings. It normally only takes a couple of days but unfortunately this can’t be done ahead of time as word has a habit of escaping early if they do...

One thing in the meantime though... DON’T cancel your onward flight just yet. There *will* be an option of rebooking to LAD somehow or other (likely via Portugal), and just in case this happens to be better overall, you’ll want to keep your options open.
OK, this is a bit of a disaster for me! I was flying out of Luanda on Tuesday 10 July 2018 back to London Heathrow direct on BA 0076 LAD-LHR. Had booked myself a one-way Club World Avios redemption. I have to leave on that day, and that is the day my visa expires. I cannot leave much earlier as I have work to do in Luanda right up until departure. Ideally I would like to be re-routed on SAA via JNB (in some ways this is better, as I prefer their Business Class product). What are the odds of me getting them to agree to this? Actually, I would be just as happy coming back business class on one of the other carriers that head to Europe using that airport (but none of them are OneWorld): Air France, Brussels Airlines, KLM, Lufthansa or TAP.

Anyone have any suggestions for strategy when talking to BA about this? Such a hassle!

Also agree with other posters on here: seems like a strange time to cancel this route, given the rising oil price. Whenever I used to fly this Club World was packed with oil executives and First was full of rich Angolans...
Old May 24, 2018, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by EuropeToAsia
Thanks, that answers my question why apparently the inbound arrives in the early morning only to sit there for almost 19 hours before departing again after midnight the next day. If cargo is the key driver, spending those hours loading lucrative freight is probably worth it.
I don't think that it takes 19 hours to load an aircraft-ful of cargo! IIRC from previous threads on this, the reason the aircraft is on the ground there for 19 hours from early morning to late evening is so that the same crew can immediately operate the aircraft back to London after taking minimum rest during the day, so that BA does not have to overnight either aircraft or crew there. But as we have crew on this thread who actually do this route, it would be good to know whether that reason is accurate.
Old May 24, 2018, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I don't think that it takes 19 hours to load an aircraft-ful of cargo! IIRC from previous threads on this, the reason the aircraft is on the ground there for 19 hours from early morning to late evening is so that the same crew can immediately operate the aircraft back to London after taking minimum rest during the day, so that BA does not have to overnight either aircraft or crew there. But as we have crew on this thread who actually do this route, it would be good to know whether that reason is accurate.
That’s accurate
Globaliser likes this.
Old May 24, 2018, 2:59 am

If the crew are on minimum rest I can understand why it might not be everyone's cup of tea.
Old May 24, 2018, 3:07 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ozymandias24
Anyone have any suggestions for strategy when talking to BA about this? Such a hassle!
Just to reiterate the advice above - leave it a week until the alternative routes are made available. Ringing beforehand will be non productive. I will post something in this thread if I hear something (and I have an enquiry out on this). The likely cmoplication is the redemption component, where BA may indicate they aren't included in the arrangements, but legally you are protected and I know of cases similar to this which were resolved OK.
Old May 24, 2018, 3:49 am

Programs: BA Exec
Originally Posted by simons1
If the crew are on minimum rest I can understand why it might not be everyone's cup of tea.
Depends.

Luanda isn’t San Diego so most crew weren’t hugely concerned about minimum rest (some welcomed it). It’s an easy 3 days worth of work, so from that point of view alone it is a loss.

Bigger picture - always a shame when we have to drop a destination, but I wonder what the cost of operating the route actually was, given doing business in Angola isn’t simple...apparently we code shared with TAAG, but it was never obvious from the paperwork we were given !

Old May 24, 2018, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by MFCC

decent money and BA pay $60 towards your room bill which made it a cheap trip and a decent money earner.
Curious what you mean by $60 towards room bill - $60 towards incidentals or room payment - surely it can't be the latter?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.