Community
Wiki Posts
Search

787 - Dimmed Windows Override

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
If people want it dark wear an eye mask. Same with noise, wear earplugs + headphones (with no sound on) if required to top up the effect of the ear plugs.
flyerkit likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by Boeing77W
As CIHY has stated, this shouldn’t be happening and I’m sure I’ve seen that written down as a policy. Nothing like a bit on continuity. If I was aware of this happening on a flight I was operating, I’d be saying something...bit like cabin temperatures
On a BA F cabin recently it was very dark - even though it was a daytime flight. Noting what the BA CC experts advise re temperature, I bought a tiny digital reader. The cabin was 25˚. I showed it to a member of the CC and she sweetly assured me she would do something. It climber to 26˚ then settled at 25˚. In dark, overheated cabins it is no wonder people sleep. Air nozzles should be installed in every seat category.
scolbath, shefgab and mrow like this.
Old May 23, 2019, 12:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GlasgowCyclops
If people want it dark wear an eye mask. Same with noise, wear earplugs + headphones (with no sound on) if required to top up the effect of the ear plugs.
what if they prefer darker so that it is easier to watch the IFE? Kind of hard to do that with an eye mask.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 12:59 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by hbtr

what if they prefer darker so that it is easier to watch the IFE? Kind of hard to do that with an eye mask.
what if they prefer light so that is it easier to read a book? This works best with a bit of give and take all round, but no one answer is perfect.
AnaTravel likes this.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; May 23, 2019 at 1:50 am
Old May 23, 2019, 1:05 am

For me, the biggest point about natural light is that it enables me to avoid jet lag. I can cope with almost any amount of time change, providing I stay in the natural light/dark of wherever I am. So the easiest way to screw me up and give me jet lag is to put me on a day time flight and dim all the blinds for some hours. Putting my reading light on doesn't help that one bit.

I have bought a wearable that projects the equivalent of natural daylight in front of my eyes, but am yet to try it on a flight. Asked a cabin crew relative if he'd seen anyone else in such a thing and he couldn't answer for laughing at me in it.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 1:20 am
Original Poster

I find flying a real thrill and feel like an astronaut looking down on Earth from above the clouds. Flying has become so routine that many forget how awesome it is.
The windows on the Dreamliner are the largest on any commercial airliner, so it is sad that they are locked to be opaque during flight.
SWISSBOBBY and nancypants like this.
Old May 23, 2019, 2:58 am

Programs: Amex Cent and all that comes with it
No. 3 settings makes a rather nice filter, if that's your thing, for photography. Easily removed, via white balance, if it's not your thing!
Old May 23, 2019, 5:34 am

Programs: BA, EK, Hilton H, Starwood, A-Club
Originally Posted by footballfanatic
but why not give the crew control? There’s always the one guy who lifts and lowers the shade repeatedly in a dark cabin.
It could be they are a nervous flyer, and need some reassurance by being able to see the ground, or whatever is out there. Also, if its a daytime flight, say heading east to west, they might want to look at the scenery. We had the blinds down on the daytime flight from SIN to LHR and it would have been nice to see the scenery below us.
Old May 23, 2019, 5:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I am (mildly) concerned about the lack of light in the cabin for a daytime (departing 1255) flight in J from NRT to LHR next May. For jetlag avoidance purposes my ideal seat would be 7K but I understand that if I were to choose this then sooner or later I'd be kicked out of it as it is used as a crew rest seat. Its equivalent on the opposite side of the plane, 7A would be the logical alternative but I have heard that since 7A is on the south side of the plane for NRT-LHR it's uncomfortable to sit there because of the glare and the heat from the sun. Also, apparently the noise from the toilets immediately aft might be bothersome. Since I prize direct aisle access I suppose as an alternative I might have to just sit in 6J instead and hope that the person in 6K enjoys daylight too so that I don't have to sit in the dark all day long.
Old May 23, 2019, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Take 13K.
Old May 23, 2019, 6:25 am

What about red-eye flights which land in the morning? Often, the sun bears down through the one open window that the FA can’t reach to close because that pax is asleep with eyeshades.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 6:30 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by footballfanatic
What about red-eye flights which land in the morning? Often, the sun bears down through the one open window that the FA can’t reach to close because that pax is asleep with eyeshades.
they can be centrally dimmed on the 787. this isn't an argument to lock control though which is the topic of this thread.
Old May 23, 2019, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Take 13K.
I had considered 13K but read recently on these pages that it's not a great seat what with its limited choice of food owing to being served last and the risk of being 'forgotten about' by the cabin crew, and the potential noise from the bassinets immediately aft in PE. I'm not sure how true that is though, and I could always eat in NRT beforehand and make use of the call bell for top-ups etc.
Old May 23, 2019, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Firstly as a GCH you should get you choice of meal, secondly Japanese flights seldom have babies and thirdly I would prefer to be left alone and use my call bell if I need anything.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 7:18 am

13K it is then, and hopefully I can persuade the cabin crew to unlock the windows for me. Thanks CIHY.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.