787 - Dimmed Windows Override

Old May 21, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
As CIHY has stated, this shouldn’t be happening and I’m sure I’ve seen that written down as a policy. Nothing like a bit on continuity. If I was aware of this happening on a flight I was operating, I’d be saying something...bit like cabin temperatures
Old May 21, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: BA GGL
I’ve had this on a day flight to SJC, needed to escalate to CSM (or whatever the correct terminology is) to get my window enabled to be brighter than 3. Seems to be a thing with some crews to try and get the cabin off to sleep on westbound day flights, as I’ve had crew ask quite firmly to close blinds on 747 UD as well (politely refused as the views can be quite spectacular over the Arctic).
SK and KARFA like this.
Old May 21, 2019, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Might there be a difference between Mixed Fleet crews and Worldwide crews attitude to the window controls?
Old May 21, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by bluegreen2
Sorry to reawaken this thread a year later, but when I was on a flight to Kuala Lumpur, the windows were completely locked to 5 from about 2 hours after takeoff and gradually lightened 90 minutes before landing (quite understandably as it was a night flight travelling in daytime). Though no range was set, I'm guessing it is crew/route dependant.
I had this too on my last couple of KUL trips. On one I raised it and was told that it was set to maximum darkness for everyone’s comfort. I asked for it to be changed and was essentially given a brush off.
Old May 22, 2019, 12:16 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
If your mother gets that travel sick then she needs to discuss it with her doctor and consider taking medication.
Yes, she does...
However, being able to see out helps alleviate the symptoms and means less medication.
Jimmie76 and nancypants like this.
Old May 22, 2019, 1:33 am

Programs: BA bronze, Emirates blue
DUR/LHR last Sunday, a day flight on the 788 and, even though half the cabin were sleeping I had full access to my window control which stayed fully open for the entire flight. The sleepers all had eye masks on which seems the way to go on a day flight. Had anyone approached me I would have compromised though.
woglet86 likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by bluegreen2
Might there be a difference between Mixed Fleet crews and Worldwide crews attitude to the window controls?
Not that old chestnut again.
Old May 22, 2019, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by gw76

Not that old chestnut again.
Actually in this case it may be.
Old May 22, 2019, 4:24 am

Programs: BA Silver
I try to avoid booking flights on a 787 due to the window locking issue.

Some of my best experiences on night flights have been watching the Aurora and spotting shooting stars outside - which of course would only be possible with a fully open window, or in the case of the 787 a window set to 1.

On day flights I want to watch the scenery and try to identify cities, mountains etc and take photos. The window really needs to be set to 1 to get a clear enough view. Plus I want to be exposed to daylight on a daytime flight!
SK, Shingi, nufnuf77 and 1 others like this.
Old May 22, 2019, 4:36 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by Can I help you
I will set all the windows to dark with is number 5 if it’s dark outside and most customers are asleep but not lock them out. What I also do on flights where it will get light while customers are still sleeping is set the system so that the window customer can only open the window to 3 which gives them a view outside but doesn’t cause too much brightness to enter the cabin.
That is the one reason I hate the 788/9 because I dont like crew controlling my window. I regularly look out and like to have brightness 1 as it feels natural and i can take photos or use go pro to record. Not to mention connecting passengers might be on a totally different timezone.
SK, flyerkit and gypsyjaney like this.
Old May 22, 2019, 4:39 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by musehead
I try to avoid booking flights on a 787 due to the window locking issue.

Some of my best experiences on night flights have been watching the Aurora and spotting shooting stars outside - which of course would only be possible with a fully open window, or in the case of the 787 a window set to 1.

On day flights I want to watch the scenery and try to identify cities, mountains etc and take photos. The window really needs to be set to 1 to get a clear enough view. Plus I want to be exposed to daylight on a daytime flight!
I'm the same about scenery and the aurora, and I also take plenty of photos of anything interesting I see. But this is where my experience seems to be the polar opposite to yours. Three big windows of the 787 make it a really good CW experience for those who like to look outside.

I've taken, I guess, approx 40 x 787 flights so far this year on BA, maybe more. Probably half MF, half WW. None of the day time flights have been locked, and I think maybe 2 of the night flights were, but were unlocked on request. So my experience, for what it is worth, is that I would book 787s for precisely the same reasons that you would not. It's only been on Qatar (last year) that I had a mild and very polite run in with the cabin crew on the issue.
Old May 22, 2019, 4:49 am

but why not give the crew control? There’s always the one guy who lifts and lowers the shade repeatedly in a dark cabin.
Old May 22, 2019, 4:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by footballfanatic
but why not give the crew control? There’s always the one guy who lifts and lowers the shade repeatedly in a dark cabin.
And that person is perfectly entitled to do so - if it is a night flight, then it doesn't matter - if it is a day flight, then why on earth has it been turned into a pseudo night flight
SK, Jimmie76, SWISSBOBBY and 6 others like this.
Old May 22, 2019, 4:51 am

Because some of us need/want daylight when it's available and being locked out sucks.
Old May 22, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I'm the same about scenery and the aurora, and I also take plenty of photos of anything interesting I see. But this is where my experience seems to be the polar opposite to yours. Three big windows of the 787 make it a really good CW experience for those who like to look outside.

I've taken, I guess, approx 40 x 787 flights so far this year on BA, maybe more. Probably half MF, half WW. None of the day time flights have been locked, and I think maybe 2 of the night flights were, but were unlocked on request. So my experience, for what it is worth, is that I would book 787s for precisely the same reasons that you would not. It's only been on Qatar (last year) that I had a mild and very polite run in with the cabin crew on the issue.
I've probably just been unlucky in that case. I've only taken 6 x 787 flights on BA, 3 of them overnight. Had the windows locked to something I didn't want on 3 of them. I do love the big windows when they're clear though.

That's probably me, if it's a daytime flight. It's because I want natural light and to see the scenery etc, but then I feel bad at the thought of annoying the people around me so I close it again. It really kills me to sit in a dark box when there's so much awe-inspiring stuff to see out the window!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.