Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the appeal of Row 1 in CE?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2018, 11:06 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
I booked 3 CE flights yesterday, and the BA system put me in 2A or 2F for all of them. I immediately went into MMB and moved myself back to the hallowed confines of 1A for 2 of the flights, and 1F for the third (as 1A was already taken).

All for the same reasons as CWS highlighted earlier in the thread. Especially the most important one - finding out who crew slept with the night before.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: BAEC
Why people like row 1 of CE that much?

Sorry if this question is really obvious, but people seem to really value the Gold perk of having row 1. I understand the legroom is better, but I have also read complaints about:
- Not having overhead space.
- The tray table is in the armrest so less rigid/space.

I am just a lowly blue, but I have been assigned seat 1A at T48, and I am wondering whether to keep it or move to row 3. Any advice on why I shouls stick to row 1?

thanks

Last edited by slayers_88; Aug 31, 2018 at 4:15 pm
Old Aug 31, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
I like it because I find the blue calming! And there’s more knee room. The storage thing is neither here nor there - plenty of space in CE normally.
Markie likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Surrey CCC
For me, I like 1C because I can see the cockpit during the prep phase of the flight (which is great for an av-geek like me) and it allows me to be quickly off the aircraft at destination
Markie and frasier like this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 4:13 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Row 1 means I get my choice of meal, allowing me to avoid the carb-fests of afternoon tea or panini on Medium routes. I can also have a window seat and get up without my seat neighbour having to get up too.

Being first off and the extra knee room are bonuses. Unlike Killian_S, 1C is my least favourite row 1 seat because of the likelihood of being bumped into by pax and their bags.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 4:19 pm

I'm not a great fan of row 1 for reasons of privacy and the tray table, but it's nice to have the leg space. If I'm honest I'd rather take rows 2 or 3.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 4:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze; ALL Gold
I'd never opt for Row 1 in the dark by the door with people queuing for the loo and lots of other traffic - maybe 2D, but there's still the factors of no floor storage during take off and landing, table in the arm and various bits of the plane's equipment in the locker meaning you have to pinch the space above the row behind. My favourites are 2C or 3D in the normal layout (I'm an aisle person), or wherever is the second row back if it's metal with a chequered history. In there it's still quick to get off and there's a good chance of getting the food you prefer. I was bemused the other day in an Embraer 190 from LCY to find my chosen 2B counted as the 'exit' row even though there was a bulkhead a long way forward between me and the door - I'm not keen on the table in the arm.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Also have a look at the answers here:
What is the appeal of Row 1 in CE?
orbitmic and T8191 like this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
I like the fact no one can recline in my face
Old Aug 31, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
No one collapsing into the seat in front, no one reclining into me, off the plane first, more likely to get my meal choice, and a little extra legroom. I usually take 1C so I can listen to Galley FM when it's on, but I also like to see the cockpit. The downside is getting bashed on the knee occasionally, although you're less likely to get thumped in the head with a backpack when you're in the front row.
Sealink and peterinlewesuk like this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 5:33 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, BAEC Gold
I just like getting off the plane first, especially in CDG!
Sealink likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 5:50 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
It is because 1A/F are the least bad seats on the A320 family.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 7:45 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
1C because I like to get clobbered as others board. No, seriously, I choose 1C for the legroom and speed of egress.
Sealink and dylanks like this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
First off the plane, usually.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
A feeling of more space not having the seat in front of you. Better legroom. And on a subjective front better service. You always have the crews attention up there & the refills come thick & fast. A few rows back it's not the case.
Sealink likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.