Wiki Posts
Search

Delhi City centre Check-In

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2018, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Delhi City centre Check-In

Flying back from DEL in July and whilst checking looking at what Hotel to use for the night before i fly home, I noticed that on the Metro (wili page) it says the airport express lines offer check-in facilities.

Has anyone used this, and is it similar to HKG where you can get BP and drop luggage etc?
Old May 22, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS, Costa Coffee, My Waitrose
At the time of my last visit (Mar 18) the service was only for Air India, Jet Airways and Vistaria. Not sure if you have visited Delhi before but I would not recommend the use of the metro service to or from the airport. Yes the traffic is a nightmare, but you will much more comfortable in an air conditioned car in July.
rossmacd and stewaran like this.
Old May 22, 2018, 4:14 pm

Programs: OS FTL, BA Silver, Thameslink Delay Repay
Pretty sure lgwfan is right about it only being for a few Indian airlines, but that said, I used the city check in on Jet Airways a few weeks back and it wasn’t that much more convenient because you end up having to queue at checkin for a document check at the airport anyway. Airport train is fine if you take it straight from New Delhi station, but if you need to take the metro first it is probably a bit of a struggle with luggage.
stewaran likes this.
Old May 23, 2018, 2:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Thanks, Never been before.
I will finish my meetings on Friday afternoon with BA256 departing @ 10:20 Saturday morning.

Maybe ill get an airport hotel, and use the metro to have a look around Delhi on Friday evening
Old May 23, 2018, 2:34 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life
I believe that's right - New Delhi city check-in is just for Air India, Jet and maybe one or two other locally based airlines.
However, I've used the Airport Express several times to and from the airport and have found it very useful (particularly when there was a taxi drivers' strike at the airport last year). If you're staying in/around Connaught Place and you will need to travel to/from the airport during rush-hour it's definitely worth considering.
However if you're departing it's normally better to take a taxi or autorickshaw to Shivaji Stadium Station, rather than New Delhi Station, as traffic on approach roads to the latter is often horrendous.
If you're arriving, and will need a taxi from the station to get you to your final destination, you should get a ticket to New Delhi Station, as Indian taxis only pick up fares from designated taxi stands, and I'm not sure there is one at Shivaji Stadium Station (if there is, it's never ever had a taxi waiting there during my visits!). Auto rickshaws (increasingly these days called tuk-tuks) do ply the road outside Shivaji station (Baba Karak Singh Marg, which is one of the main spokes leading out from Connaught Place), but after around 9:00pm it's almost impossible to find an empty one.
Old May 23, 2018, 3:42 am
yrs

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, WN CP
You are better off calling a taxi to the airport, if you wish to go directly to the airport for your flight.

Else, there are a number of hotels near the airport, and if time permits, this may be the better option.
Old May 23, 2018, 4:02 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Airport Express from New Delhi is quick and painless, but if you're elsewhere just use Uber. cheap and easy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.