Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

1500+ tier points, can I use 1st class lounge?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2018, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Any thoughts on whether I'll get access to BA SFO 1st lounge tonight?

Outbound tipped me over the magical 1,500 tier points - but gold card not issued via app yet.

Intrigued about what may be behind the secret door... or maybe nothing special?

Experience or advice - worth asking the staff?

Thanks
Old May 22, 2018, 6:28 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
You'll need to wait a day or two for Gold status to kick in.
Old May 22, 2018, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
It's thoroughly underwhelming - I popped in (unchecked!) and out again last month for a couple of glasses of fizz but remained in the main lounge

**edit** just seen it's your first post MadNat so welcome !!!
MadNat likes this.
Old May 22, 2018, 6:37 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Welcome to FlyerTalk MadNat and especially to the BA branch. Congratulations on achieving Gold ^

Now that you've taken the courage to post I hope we hear more from you.

If your flights were a few days ago it might be worth logging out of the App and log back in to force a reset of the data.
MadNat likes this.
Old May 22, 2018, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
It's thoroughly underwhelming - I popped in (unchecked!) and out again last month for a couple of glasses of fizz but remained in the main lounge

**edit** just seen it's your first post MadNat so welcome !!!
Great feedback thanks Mikeyfly. Will see if staff are more vigilant this afternoon 😎.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old May 22, 2018, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Welcome to FlyerTalk MadNat and especially to the BA branch. Congratulations on achieving Gold ^

Now that you've taken the courage to post I hope we hear more from you.

If your flights were a few days ago it might be worth logging out of the App and log back in to force a reset of the data.
Thanks Tobias - will see what Gold delivers. I have done it the hard way - company policy is no Business class (even CEO).

The BA app is good in my opinion - but perplexes my why when it says you've achieved a new level (same for bronze and silver), it doesn't render the app as your new level? It's software after all. Patience is apparently a virtue!

Old May 22, 2018, 7:48 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by MadNat

Thanks Tobias - will see what Gold delivers. I have done it the hard way - company policy is no Business class (even CEO).

The BA app is good in my opinion - but perplexes my why when it says you've achieved a new level (same for bronze and silver), it doesn't render the app as your new level? It's software after all. Patience is apparently a virtue!

Yes you would rather think something along the lines of 'if points greater than 1499 then the app shows gold status' would be simple enough to add to the software.

My Computer Studies O Level was some years ago however.
MadNat likes this.
Old May 22, 2018, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by smokie36
The BA app is good in my opinion - but perplexes my why when it says you've achieved a new level (same for bronze and silver), it doesn't render the app as your new level? It's software after all.
Yes you would rather think something along the lines of 'if points greater than 1499 then the app shows gold status' would be simple enough to add to the software.
Although "points greater than 1499" is a necessary condition for Gold, it is not sufficient in itself.

So like many things in life, it's not that simple.
endoman, golfmad, smokie36 and 1 others like this.
Old May 22, 2018, 7:51 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
However, although "points greater than 1499" is a necessary condition for Gold, it is not a sufficient condition in itself.
I do like a bit of necessary and sufficient
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old May 22, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by endoman

I do like a bit of necessary and sufficient
I think they should add ownership of a decent pair of loafers to the conditions.
Old May 22, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Congratulations on getting to Gold, and welcome to the BAEC board.

If your tier points have posted and it shows “you have achieved Gold” in the status tracker on the app but everything else looks Silver then I would ask if you can use the F lounge. They let me into the Gatwick First lounge when I was in that position earlier this year.

Took 2 days for the qualification flight to post and another day for app to upgrade - I had to log out and back in again to get it to show properly as IIRC it went a bit bonkers.
Old May 22, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
I've found it's not uncommon in SFO, particularly for the A380 departure, for the first class part of the lounge to be limited to passengers in first class only, so even if you can get the app to update or otherwise persuade them that you qualify normally you may find you're out of luck.

In this situation though I've often been directed towards the Cathay lounge which is much bigger and the sun doesn't shine directly through the windows creating a greenhouse effect like can often happen in the BA lounge. The noodle bar hours are timed for the Cathay flight though so not always available but the other options are not really worse than the very limited selection in the BA lounge in my opinion. The only things you really miss out on are direct boarding from the lounge, which only applies for the 747 flight as the A380 has to park at a different gate, and the ice cream trolley that used to come round although I've not seen that for a couple of years so it may have been enhanced away.

Last edited by farcaster; May 22, 2018 at 8:35 am
Old May 22, 2018, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
As others have said try logging out of the app and signing back in. When I last got the Silver to Gold bump I had another flight two days later, both the qualifying flight and the next one were on BA. The status upgraded on the day of travel and I had already OLCI'd. I got the check-in desk to reprint the boarding pass and it showed me as BA Gold, I was able to get a new boarding pass on the app too.

That said, the SFO First lounge really isn't anything to get excited about!
mikeyfly likes this.
Old May 22, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Happened to me when I "hit" silver. Explained that to the lounge dragons and they were happy to let me in
MadNat likes this.
Old May 22, 2018, 3:13 pm

Any thoughts on whether I'll get access to BA SFO 1st lounge tonight?

Outbound tipped me over the magical 1,500 tier points - but gold card not issued via app yet.

Intrigued about what may be behind the secret door... or maybe nothing special?

Experience or advice - worth asking the staff?

Thanks
Congratulations, however the technical answer to your question is no. In addition you must have the required qualifying flights. Tier points are not enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.