Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Options to try for (Reward) EDI - Florida end June/start July

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2018, 2:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze, AMEX Platinum

Hope someone can help. Planning our summer holiday and we're fortunate to have access to Avios/GGL account to make the booking and have access to select reward flights, However looking at availability, we don't seem to be able to make things work due to the complicated search/possible availability, and looking to see if anyone cleverer than me can find availabilty/a solution.

Ideal Routing

Sat 30th June
EDI - LGW (Any Flight to connect. BA2931 at 06:40 isn't showing as available,)
LGW - MCO (BA2037 at 11:05 does not seem available, leaving BA2039 at 13:25 the option)

Sat 14th July
MCO - LGW (Either BA2036 at 17:30 or BA2038 at 19:55)
LGW - EDI (only seems to be BA2944 at 15:45, I did see an earlier (08:30) flight but that's not showing)

The issue is
1) I can't seem to make it do a full EDI-LGW/LON - MCO on those dates (only able to choose LGW-MCO as reward options), so not sure how to merge the full connection bookings.
2) getting to Gatwick for the Sat AM: With the 06:40 not seeming to have much availability it may mean that we have to fly on the Friday evening & stay over (Ideally want to avoid flying into LHR and having to transfer to LGW on Sat 30th). This isn't an issue, but not sure how to a) get it on the same booking and b) if we collect bags/get them left in-transit overnight
3) Return leg, flying back from LGW; my partner ideally does not want to wait 7 hours at LGW if we can't get the 0830 flight (I'm indifferent; got lounge and will be shattered anyway), and transferring to LHR just seems to take just as long so no real saving. If it's an option, we could do a multi-city (e.g. TPA-LGW/MIA-LGW or other) which would get in a few hours later so 'less' time to hang around

We're quite flexible in our routing to an extent in terms of locations: MIA/TPA or other 'nearby' areas (it's a road trip), and for dates (Outbound Sat 30 preferred, Sun 1st is an option, possibly (depending on her leave options, Fri 29th. Return: Sat 14th preferrered, Fri 13th an option, Then Sun 15th or rest of days possibly, but not ideal).

Hope someone can help with some options, and apologies for length/complexity!

Last edited by fudgeukraine; May 22, 2018 at 9:44 am
Old May 22, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: BAEC (Silver), IHG (Plat Elite)
Nobody else has replied, so I'll chip in for now.

I'm based at GLA, and domestic connections to LGW are awful; its for that reason this year I'm doing GLA-LHR-MIA (revenue) for my Florida summer holiday.
I'll then drive to Orlando, via other places along the way.

Another option may be EDI - New York on AA, then connect internally ?

I also had trouble finding domestic connections to a redemption flight to BOS last year, and was given the advice to include a "stop over" of the same day, which then somehow showed up numerous connection options. I should point out I wanted at least a four hour "stop over" to enjoy the CCR !

Good luck !
Old May 22, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Blue, EasyJet+
My two cents would be to fly in and out of TPA rather than MCO. Immigration at MCO is typically a nightmare and can take anywhere from 45 minutes (my personal record) to 3 hours (another personal record) to clear, usually due to a number of international flights landing at similar times (especially the later BA2039) and the TPA flight goes from LGW as well. I haven't been to MCO in just under two years, mind you, so it could have changed in that time, but I doubt it as it was like that for years prior to my last visit.
Old May 22, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by fudgeukraine
<snip>
The issue is
1) <snip> not sure how to merge the full connection bookings.
2)...... This isn't an issue, but not sure how to a) get it on the same booking and b) if we collect bags/get them left in-transit overnight
I won't comment on the timings, options etc. But if you have access to a GGL member who is paying with their Avios, the GGL line will ensure that the bookings / connections etc are all on one booking. You won't need to worry about that part. You won't be able to do it online, even if GGL, if you need a joker / space release to make the seats available.
Old May 22, 2018, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
In agreement with InfrequentFlyer1991

My TPA experience (with the exception of Avis - which was a nightmare..) I've always landed and been through TPA within half hour. Last month included.

However, with less flights, TPA may have less reward options and some days it goes very early, necessitating an overnight down south
Old May 22, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Went through MCO in April. Over an hour to get through immigration and then another more-than-one-hour because we took some food in (really not sure why it took so long - have done this at plenty of other entry points and been through the scanners in 10 minutes). Pretty aggressive or uninterested CBP staff. I will be avoiding MCO from now onwards, unless I can go via DUB for pre-clearance.

Yes piecing together availability including connections can be a slog, and sometimes requires a phone call to book. Sorry I haven't got any bright ideas there. But Aer Lingus via DUB could be a good alternative.
Old May 22, 2018, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by InfrequentFlyer1991
My two cents would be to fly in and out of TPA rather than MCO. Immigration at MCO is typically a nightmare and can take anywhere from 45 minutes (my personal record) to 3 hours (another personal record) to clear, usually due to a number of international flights landing at similar times (especially the later BA2039) and the TPA flight goes from LGW as well. I haven't been to MCO in just under two years, mind you, so it could have changed in that time, but I doubt it as it was like that for years prior to my last visit.
Thanks for this. We've done MCO twice and TPA once before, so know roughly what to expect; TPA was pretty swift compared to MCO, though thankfully both have fans blowing around. We always seem to get one of us with the X on the TSA sheet anyway causing a hold up!.
Old May 22, 2018, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
I won't comment on the timings, options etc. But if you have access to a GGL member who is paying with their Avios, the GGL line will ensure that the bookings / connections etc are all on one booking. You won't need to worry about that part. You won't be able to do it online, even if GGL, if you need a joker / space release to make the seats available.
Thanks, that's what I semi-suspected (and I think has happened on previous trips) to get the single booking. I think the main issue is getting availability on the EDI-LGW & LGW-EDI legs regardless, but will need to keep looking. I think EDI-LGW on the Friday is fine in terms of paying/reward/part-pay, but it's the return on the Sunday that could be an issue.
Old May 22, 2018, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by konagirl2
... Aer Lingus via DUB could be a good alternative.
I have seen on here about the whole EX-DUB and the cheaper pricing, but I'm a bit clueless as to what it means/how to get it. we can get ourselves to/from DUB I think relatively easy. However since it'd either be Aer Lingus or Ryanair, and we'd need 2 bags then it might not work out any cheaper than pursuing the LGW option.
Old May 22, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: BAEC (Silver), IHG (Plat Elite)
I arrived in MCO last year to a completely empty immigration hall ! This was off of a Thomas Cook (I know, I know) from GLA. Twenty minutes max. The previous year I flew with Virgin from GLA and the hall was rammed, but we scooted through thanks to my MiL who had special assistance.
That year waited over an hour to get my car from Avis, so last year joined Avis Preferred, ten minutes and done.

But this year, MIA on BA so will see how I get on............... It was much cheaper than Virgin i should point out.

Do BA still fly to Fort Lauderdale ? Is that an option ?
Old May 22, 2018, 9:28 am

I can only echo sentiments of avoiding MCO if you can as immigration and security lines are terrible there. TPA and MIA are much more efficient and I've never waited long for immigration or security at either. Have you considered looking at availability for FLL also?
Old May 22, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I have seen on here about the whole EX-DUB and the cheaper pricing, but I'm a bit clueless as to what it means/how to get it. we can get ourselves to/from DUB I think relatively easy. However since it'd either be Aer Lingus or Ryanair, and we'd need 2 bags then it might not work out any cheaper than pursuing the LGW option.
If you join Aer Lingus Avios (Aer Club) you can search their website for availability, GLA-DUB-MCO as a through ticket. If you find availability you can call BA with the flight numbers to book with BA Avios.
Old May 22, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Thanks, that's what I semi-suspected (and I think has happened on previous trips) to get the single booking. I think the main issue is getting availability on the EDI-LGW & LGW-EDI legs regardless, but will need to keep looking. I think EDI-LGW on the Friday is fine in terms of paying/reward/part-pay, but it's the return on the Sunday that could be an issue.

.... but your GGL companion should be able to make availability available for up to 5 people unless another GGL has already nabbed seats on those aircraft, or unless only the highest fare buckets in each class are available. Am I missing something??
Old May 22, 2018, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
.... but your GGL companion should be able to make availability available for up to 5 people unless another GGL has already nabbed seats on those aircraft, or unless only the highest fare buckets in each class are available. Am I missing something??
Sorry, I'm not sure how GGL works so didn't realise if that was an option we could look at.

For context, they wouldn't be flying with us, so not sure if that affects anything?
Old May 22, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by InfrequentFlyer1991
That's another reason to consider forgetting BA and using the option of other carriers ex-DUB with pre-clearance eliminating those problems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.