Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

When does row 1 CE get released to non gold

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When does row 1 CE get released to non gold

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, CCR; Marriott PFL, Ambassador; Hilton Diamond
Might not given the chance of losing 1D :-)

But thanks for the info.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 1:31 pm

I always make all flights arrangements for my Mother, as she is not a very confident traveler - but knows how to follow my "trail of bread crumbs" so to speak to get happily from A-Z. Had her booked into 1C out of DUS a while back. She was boarded, seated, and settled. Some guy came to her and said to her that she needed to take his seat in row 3 because he needed to sit next to his wife and "because I fly a lot and I always sit here". Sadly, I did not find this out until my next check in with Mom during her lounge stop-over (she had already turned off her mobile on board). She said he flashed a "shiny card" in her face and basically just stood there and hurried her along. She went to row 3.

So apparently some people are OK with getting to row 1 no matter if and how and when the seats might open up! It made me so mad that someone would have the nerve to do that (and to a pensioner to boot!)

Anyway....sorry - I know it's slightly off topic. Just wanted to share....
Old Apr 26, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: BAEC
Thanks for sharing, sometimes it’s healthy to rant!

This type of behaviour seems to have been vocalised on FT a lot more recently, is this a sign of people abusing others in order to get their seat or is it just a coincidence that we’ve heard a few similar stories! I think self entitlement is or has increased but that’s my own opinion and who really knows. It makes for interesting debate nonetheless but I guess we shouldn’t drag a thread into that subject.

I hope your Mom travelled well in the end and reached her destination in good stead.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 12:57 am

That makes my blood boil. I will watch out for your mum in the future (well other mums as well). Did you put this one in the DYKWIA thread?
Sealink likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 5:37 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jayisgerman
I always make all flights arrangements for my Mother, as she is not a very confident traveler - but knows how to follow my "trail of bread crumbs" so to speak to get happily from A-Z. Had her booked into 1C out of DUS a while back. She was boarded, seated, and settled. Some guy came to her and said to her that she needed to take his seat in row 3 because he needed to sit next to his wife and "because I fly a lot and I always sit here". Sadly, I did not find this out until my next check in with Mom during her lounge stop-over (she had already turned off her mobile on board). She said he flashed a "shiny card" in her face and basically just stood there and hurried her along. She went to row 3.

So apparently some people are OK with getting to row 1 no matter if and how and when the seats might open up! It made me so mad that someone would have the nerve to do that (and to a pensioner to boot!)

That is horrible. Sorry your mum experienced this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 5:59 am

Btw, BA didn't reserve 1F for my daughter, I tried to nab it at OLCI but still couldn't although it was available. I rang BA and they rang the airport and got it released. Interesting.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by jayisgerman

Unbelievable that someone would have the gall to try that. Anyone can flash any card at me they choose and unless I think they've got a genuine reason, no way. A polite yet sharp "no thanks I'm fine where I am" This happened to me a while back. I just said no. If this happens it's often good to call the crew. They tend to not like passengers bossing others around.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 11:50 am

I would just tell him to move his wife to row 3. And I am quite sure the person sitting next to him in row 3 would love to move to row 1... If not, he can just forget about it.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 3:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Curious as to why Row 1 remains blocked on BA890 to SOF on 11th. Within 48 hours now and on EF and the seat map all 4 seats blocked out, none occupied. There are only 6 people with assigned seats throughout 5 rows of CE. Most seats are empty.

Row 2 is full
Row 3 has one seat blocked next to someone (assume TS is blocking next to status holder), same in Row 4.
Row 5 is completely free.

Holding them back for golds later?
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:04 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by high.and.above
Do they serve now champagne again from small bottles?
Seems like it, at least for short hops. I've been offered two bottles straight up and even one to take home. I had to decline as I already had loaded up on Belgian beer, and that's enough for me to carry
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by thebigben
Seems like it, at least for short hops. I've been offered two bottles straight up and even one to take home. I had to decline as I already had loaded up on Belgian beer, and that's enough for me to carry
small bottles have always been on express, band 1, and band 2. Band 3 and 4 have been large bottles. I thought I heard they were going to swap 3 and 4 back to small bottles but haven't seen any evidence for that in the last month or so.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, EI Platinum, VS Silver
Originally Posted by KARFA
small bottles have always been on express, band 1, and band 2. Band 3 and 4 have been large bottles. I thought I heard they were going to swap 3 and 4 back to small bottles but haven't seen any evidence for that in the last month or so.
Had small bottles on CPH-LHR last week. at just over 90 mins, not sure if it still counts as a short hop or not?
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro | United Premier Platinum
According to BA Row 1 is supposed to release to general public by check-in (~24 Hours before departure), but in my experience BA doesn't release those seats... at all. Makes sense that the seats are reserved for "VIP" and Gold Members, but, like other airlines, in theory, those seats should open up by check-in.

I recently flew from IAH-LHR in First on a 747. My goal was to secure a seat in Row 1. I called YouFirst and they told me the seats will open up by check-in. OLCI rolls around and when I went in to select my seat it was still blocked. I even arrived at the airport 3 hours before departure and attempted to select the seats. They weren't even able to allocate my seats. When I boarded the plane, First consisted of myself and two other passengers (a couple). They chose middle seats. I, of course, moved to 1A when the door closed, but was disappointed that BA didn't allow me to select the seat. Funny thing though is that Row 1 opened up at OLCI for my CE flight to BCN... Oh BA

I'm sure their system is supposed release them automatically but seems to not be working properly...
TTmex likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by TTmex
Curious as to why Row 1 remains blocked on BA890 to SOF on 11th. Within 48 hours now and on EF and the seat map all 4 seats blocked out, none occupied. There are only 6 people with assigned seats throughout 5 rows of CE. Most seats are empty.

Row 2 is full
Row 3 has one seat blocked next to someone (assume TS is blocking next to status holder), same in Row 4.
Row 5 is completely free.

Holding them back for golds later?
TS means that the seats do not always become available at T-72 I am not sure but I suspect that it could be they know how many "couples" have booked and TS is keeping keeping sets of 2 together
TTmex likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:37 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Breadstick77
Had small bottles on CPH-LHR last week. at just over 90 mins, not sure if it still counts as a short hop or not?
CPH is band 2 so should be small bottles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.