Transit BA to Jet Airways in DEL

Old May 26, 2018, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Virgin Silver, Emirates Silver, AF gold
Transit BA to Jet Airways in DEL

Hi all - apologies if this is covered elsewhere. I have searched and can't quite find the exact answers. I am travelling tomorrow on BA 257 LHR to DEL - arrive DEL 0820. I then connect to Jet 9W795 to PNQ dep 1315. Long stop in DEL which will be fun. Couple of questions if I may:

- Will BA issue boarding pass for the Jet flight when I check in at LHR? If not, how do I get the boarding pass in DEL? How easy?
- I am checking a suitcase - will it be checked through to PNQ or do I need to collect and re-check at DEL - how easy is this bearing in mind India?
- Any suggestions for what to do in DEL for 4 hours. Bars?

Sorry if this sounds like newbie questions, but I am keen to avoid Mr C*ck up, and the experience and knowledge of those on this forum has been invaluable on my previous travels

Thanks!
Dougstar
Old May 26, 2018, 10:13 am

Are your BA and Jet Airways flights on the same ticket? If so, you should get your boarding pass in LHR and your luggage should be checked through to your final destination.

Unfortunately DEL airport is quite far away from the city center, and at times DEL can be exceptionally busy, even in the middle of the night. With only 4 hours I wouldn't advise you to leave the airport. As sometimes it can take up to an hour just to get into the airport, because there are security checks before entering.
Dougstar likes this.
Old May 26, 2018, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Thanks, pjcarly. The Jet Airways flights appear on my itinerary on BA.com - so is it safe to assume that they are the same ticket?

Thanks
Dougstar
Old May 26, 2018, 11:22 am

You need to clear immmigration and recheck your bag. My suggestion would be to get a plaza premium sleep room for 3 hours - you can nap and take a shower. Make a left when exiting arrivals. You don't really have sufficient time to go into town so I would skip it.
Dougstar likes this.
Old May 26, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: BA CCR/GGL
Here is what you need to do for the transfer to Jet Airways even if they are on the same ticket.

1. Do not use the transfers when you arrive on BA that is for Air India passengers.
2. Go down the escalator and go through immigration.
3. The first and business class are at the start and there is a visa on entry line at the very end. Better to check before you stand in line for too long.
4. After you are done with immigration collect your bags.
5. Exit the terminal through green channel assuming you don have any big ticket items.
6. Once you exit the green channel through the baggage doors "DO NOT EXIT" the main terminal doors.
7. On the left you have the plaza premium waiting lounge suggest you get some rest there.
8. Hour and half before your flight there is an elevator on either side of the arrivals terminal to go up to the check in area.
9. You will need to have the details that shows your name, date and flight number of the your Jet Airways flight either printed, email, or boarding pass.
10. Security guy will check your detail and send you up, and you will be checked again at the top before you are entered to the main departure / ticketing area.
11. Jet Airways is around B or C in the checkin area.
12. Drop your bags off get your baggage drop off receipt and head through security.

Delhi is a very simple airport to transit around. You can stay in the air conditioned zones the entire time. There is an insane amount of double quadruple triple checking of your documents. Other than that is pretty good. If you are in Business in Jet Airways the food is pretty decent and they have a lounge upstairs right after security.

If you have four hours do not leave the Airport the transportation and traffic can be a nightmare. It will take you one and a half hour to get into center of Delhi at that time.
Dougstar, AJLondon and dylanks like this.
Old May 26, 2018, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, baflyer123. Spot on. I'm printing that for tomorrow.

Dougstar
Old May 26, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
If you've never been through an Indian airport before, worth knowing that the security process is unusual. You have to have a tag on your hand baggage - you can pick these up at checkin or around the security queue area. That gets stamped when you've cleared security. You go through the scanner with your boarding pass, and at the end of that there is a little podium. You get onto that, put your boarding pass on the table to the side, and get frisked (everyone gets frisked). When this is done, your boarding pass is stamped too and you can collect your things. You can't get onto the plane without a stamped boarding pass and a stamped hand baggage tag, this is checked by police as you go through the gate.

It's always easier incidentally if you have paper copies of your itinerary with your name on, this is checked on the way into the airport terminal on your way out and it saves a lot of fiddling around with phones.
Dougstar likes this.
Old May 26, 2018, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Many Thanks bisonrav. Got a printed itinerary so hopefully OK. I have been through a couple of indian airports before - bangalore and chennai. Just remember it being bureaucratic and, as you say,unusual. Trying to make this as smooth as possible if I can.
Dougstar.
Old May 26, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by Dougstar
Many Thanks bisonrav. Got a printed itinerary so hopefully OK. I have been through a couple of indian airports before - bangalore and chennai. Just remember it being bureaucratic and, as you say,unusual. Trying to make this as smooth as possible if I can.
Dougstar.
Print everything. Past security DEL is reasonably good.
Dougstar likes this.
Old May 26, 2018, 5:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by bisonrav
If you've never been through an Indian airport before, worth knowing that the security process is unusual. You have to have a tag on your hand baggage - you can pick these up at checkin or around the security queue area. That gets stamped when you've cleared security. You go through the scanner with your boarding pass, and at the end of that there is a little podium. You get onto that, put your boarding pass on the table to the side, and get frisked (everyone gets frisked). When this is done, your boarding pass is stamped too and you can collect your things. You can't get onto the plane without a stamped boarding pass and a stamped hand baggage tag, this is checked by police as you go through the gate.

It's always easier incidentally if you have paper copies of your itinerary with your name on, this is checked on the way into the airport terminal on your way out and it saves a lot of fiddling around with phones.
When I last went to PNQ in November theyd stopped doing this tagging and stamping nonsense. My BP only got stamped, my hand baggage went through the scanner and on to the plane untagged. I even asked in PNQ whether I needed a tag and they said no. This was the case in BOM and BLR too.
bisonrav and Dougstar like this.
Old May 26, 2018, 7:27 pm

They don't do tagging anymore at DEL - but smaller airports still have it.
bisonrav and Dougstar like this.
Old May 26, 2018, 8:29 pm

Yes the handbaggage stamping sillyness is being phased out across the country. All the major airports are now tag-less.

Originally Posted by baflyer123
7. On the left you have the plaza premium waiting lounge suggest you get some rest there.
8. Hour and half before your flight there is an elevator on either side of the arrivals terminal to go up to the check in area.
Actually, I'd do this the other way round. There is a domestic transfers check in area just before the Plaza Premium arrivals lounge, once you exit the baggage claim area. This is specifically for those doing an INT-DOM connection. Use that to re-check your bags, then either go to the Plaza Premium lounge or just head up to departures and go to the departure lounge.

DEL is a pretty good and comfortable airport these days.
Dougstar likes this.
Old May 27, 2018, 3:49 am
Original Poster

Thanks, all. Much appreciated.
Old May 27, 2018, 3:58 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Emphasise. Do not leave the terminal on arrival. You cant get back in again.
Dougstar likes this.
Old May 27, 2018, 5:55 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL
Yes there is the transfers area downstairs but I have avoided them always due to the long lines. In the past I have not found Jet Airways there and it seems to be catered to Air India passengers. I see the lines and leave Once you go upstairs there are almost no lines in business class / bag drop.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.