Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Madrid connections

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2018, 2:48 am

Programs: BA, Accor, Hilton, ITA
Originally Posted by ringingup
Has anyone stayed overnight at the Premium Traveller Air Rooms in T4? I'm thinking of booking for an overnight connection to IBZ in September.
Yes, I've stayed there twice the last 2 Bank Holidays and also last year. It's very good and convenient. A little known fact, and as mentioned by the guy above, it's not well signposted! But basically you have to descend to the Train Departure Hall and it is then a Left turn out the lifts and walk straight on!

It can be expensive, however, to book direct (Ł160ish at short notice) - I usually get it for about Ł120 via the 3rd parties sites. Perhaps it will be cheaper for September.
Old May 22, 2018, 3:08 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by KARFA

No idea why this has happened, and it is unclear whether this is supposed to be deliberate down-rating or just c**k-up. I'll raise it with BA and see whether I can anything out of them.
me neither, as you say it was 40 for TFN, but I booked a flight a couple of weeks ago for TFS in and TFN out, was surprised at the number of TPs, and it was the TFN that had changed.

I don't really need them at the mo, as I'm silver to 2020 and wouldn't make gold. Avios earning on both airports is identical though.

Let me know how you get on.
KARFA likes this.
Old May 22, 2018, 3:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cheshirepete
Yes, I've stayed there twice the last 2 Bank Holidays and also last year. It's very good and convenient. A little known fact, and as mentioned by the guy above, it's not well signposted! But basically you have to descend to the Train Departure Hall and it is then a Left turn out the lifts and walk straight on!

It can be expensive, however, to book direct (Ł160ish at short notice) - I usually get it for about Ł120 via the 3rd parties sites. Perhaps it will be cheaper for September.
Thanks for the feedback. I've booked it for Ł107 via Agoda. I could've booked a cheaper room elsewhere outside the airport, but I'd rather pay the premium for not having to mess around with shuttles or taxis, especially before an early flight!
Old May 22, 2018, 4:26 am

Programs: BA, Accor, Hilton, ITA
Thanks for the feedback. I've booked it for Ł107 via Agoda. I could've booked a cheaper room elsewhere outside the airport, but I'd rather pay the premium for not having to mess around with shuttles or taxis, especially before an early flight!
Yes, I've used them, not a bad price. Yeah, the IBIS which is near the other terminals is usually about Ł60, but the FREE shuttle only holds 12 people and when I did it once people had to wait for the next one. Which is 30 mins and Taxi is 20 EUR fixed fee within the airport area, so when you add up potentially 40 EUR is taxi fares, it makes sense to be 2 mins away from checkin!
Old May 22, 2018, 4:31 am
Suspended

Are there hotels accessible by the underground from T4?
Old May 22, 2018, 4:33 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
It's not difficult to get between TFS and TFN by TITSI bus - about the same or quicker than (say) LGW to LHR.
Old May 22, 2018, 5:20 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by richardwft
Are there hotels accessible by the underground from T4?
I've not stayed there myself but a friend recommended the Novotel Madrid Campo de las Naciones. It's right next to metro station Feria de Madrid, 3 metro stops from Aeropuerto T4, just one stop from Aeropuerto T123.

signol
FlyerTalker39574 likes this.
Old May 22, 2018, 6:56 am
Suspended

Sounds better than the hotel shuttle bus tedium.
Old May 25, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Has anyone stayed overnight at the Premium Traveller Air Rooms in T4? I'm thinking of booking for an overnight connection to IBZ in September.
think Ibis level of room to manage expectations, but in a box. If you can afford the time elsewhere will be better value. Mine was land after midnight, fly again before 9 so an extra 1hr+ was the justification.
Old May 25, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: BA GFL. AA EXP. Amex Plat. Mucci.
Originally Posted by nivsy
As mentioned above its a through ticket so any delay or miss connection is a shared problem. Have you tried to book through Iberia.com? Maybe easier to choose and also might be even cheaper.
In my experience you'll find cheaper flights if you book through Iberia.com. If you are worried about connection times (and based on the original details provided you have LOTS of time) then stay away from BA metal on the LHR/MAD sectors as this will add 15 minutes to the connection time. If you travel on narrow-bodied IB aircraft from LHR to MAD you will arrive in T4 (as opposed to T4S) and then clear passport control in a special area right next to the arrival gate. Your flight to TFN will also depart from T4 and you will NOT have to clear security again (which you would do arriving at T4S).

I've made connections like this though MAD on IB to IB quite literally hundreds of times, and have only ever once missed my connection (and that was due to a late incoming flight from TFS). MAD is MUCH better than LHR for connections, in my experience.
Old May 25, 2018, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, HiltonH
Originally Posted by themax
In my experience you'll find cheaper flights if you book through Iberia.com. If you are worried about connection times (and based on the original details provided you have LOTS of time) then stay away from BA metal on the LHR/MAD sectors as this will add 15 minutes to the connection time. If you travel on narrow-bodied IB aircraft from LHR to MAD you will arrive in T4 (as opposed to T4S) and then clear passport control in a special area right next to the arrival gate. Your flight to TFN will also depart from T4 and you will NOT have to clear security again (which you would do arriving at T4S).

I've made connections like this though MAD on IB to IB quite literally hundreds of times, and have only ever once missed my connection (and that was due to a late incoming flight from TFS). MAD is MUCH better than LHR for connections, in my experience.
Thank you. We have booked now, although via ba.com, which was cheaper, all on IB operated flights.
Outbound is connecting MAD T4 to T4 however Inbound is MAD T4 to T4S with a 50 minute connection. We are hoping there are no delays and we can get through fairly quickly.
Thanks for all the helpful feedback.
Old May 25, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: BA GFL. AA EXP. Amex Plat. Mucci.
Originally Posted by Wifie
Thank you. We have booked now, although via ba.com, which was cheaper, all on IB operated flights.
Outbound is connecting MAD T4 to T4 however Inbound is MAD T4 to T4S with a 50 minute connection. We are hoping there are no delays and we can get through fairly quickly.
Thanks for all the helpful feedback.
Assuming no inbound flight delays you should have no problem making a 50 minutes connection from T4 to T4S. You will clear security at TFN, so on arrival at MAD you'll only have to take the airside train from T4 to T4S and then go through passport control (i.e. exiting Spain). You DO NOT have to go through security again (unlike arriving at T4S and transferring to T4, which you are not doing). Don't sweat it, you shouldn't have any issues (I have done this countless times). Enjoy your trip!
Wifie likes this.
Old May 29, 2018, 6:48 am

Thanks for raising this Temps. I have to say this seems like a mistake rather than deliberate - reminds me of of the MAD-LPA route query from 2016 Why now LPA-MAD route change in TP earns?

This is the relevant section from the reference posts in the TP run thread:

I checked all these routes back in early 2017, and apart from the ones specifically noted, they all showed 40 TPs on the BAEC calculator at the time. Checking them now it seems a real mixed bag, some are 20 and some are still 40.

No idea why this has happened, and it is unclear whether this is supposed to be deliberate down-rating or just c**k-up. I'll raise it with BA and see whether I can anything out of them.
TFS from MAD is now posting as 20, so that's changed over the past week, ACE,LPA,FUE all seem to have stuck to 40 - unless that's changed since yesterday.
Old May 30, 2018, 4:33 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Temps
TFS from MAD is now posting as 20, so that's changed over the past week, ACE,LPA,FUE all seem to have stuck to 40 - unless that's changed since yesterday.
Thanks Temps. I have been through all the routes I posted earlier. It seems only MAD-TFS and MAD-TFN have been downgraded to 20. Everything else is still at 40, and that includes all other routes from TFN to mainland Spain. Definitely very odd. I will update when I hear back from BA.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:33 am

Thanks Temps. I have been through all the routes I posted earlier. It seems only MAD-TFS and MAD-TFN have been downgraded to 20. Everything else is still at 40, and that includes all other routes from TFN to mainland Spain. Definitely very odd. I will update when I hear back from BA.
Looks like the rest of them have now dropped to 20TPs FUE,LPA,ACE

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.