Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Yyz lhr reduction/elimination of F summer/fall/winter

Old May 21, 2018, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA blue,, aeroplan 25K

Good day experts
we just had our reward bookings yyz/lhr return for the fall changed from F to CW. (First world problem I know) but we do enjoy F and have over 800,000 avois to burn and it’s a good use of them for us. However email overnight has downgraded us to CW and we are having trouble getting answers from BA why
it seems from my searches on line there are some flights with F available as revenue but a lot of flights now don’t have even revenue seats and all require connections via USA. Has BA significantly changed the planes to ones with no F now on this route or just eliminated suddenly the F rewards. There are a lot available now from April/May 2019 but almost nothing late Oct Nov. I assume our only choice is to travel in CW for these dates. Not terrible at all just disappointing
many thanks
ACS
Old May 21, 2018, 7:13 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
We also had a December LHR-YYZ F reward downgraded to CW last night. Disappointing for sure as it's the LHR F experience I enjoy rather than the flight itself. Looks like we've kept the same seats, 1E/F on the 777, so I assume they're just not selling F on this route now.
Old May 21, 2018, 7:17 am

Phone up and ask to be moved on to the first flight, I’ve never seen anyone denied a move to a F flight if the other flight has been downgraded. If they say no ask for the avoid difference back.
Old May 21, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
This happened to me last night as well. I've checked Mondays around the date we were scheduled to fly in December, and there is no F on either flight.
Old May 21, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Looks as though they're removing F from the route due to the 787 engine issues, and YYZ is a good choice to cut four class aircraft from because AC, its main competitor, doesn't offer First.
Old May 21, 2018, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cymro
Looks as though they're removing F from the route due to the 787 engine issues, and YYZ is a good choice to cut four class aircraft from because AC, its main competitor, doesn't offer First.
thank you for the information. I didn’t realize the 4 class 787 had a specific issue. And if AC doesn’t offer F and it is it’s main competition I would have thought offering it would be a smart thing but I don’t know much about the airline industry or it’s decisions.....
i guess it’s likely not a good source of revenue (F) and the route is more profitable with 3 class service. It’s only 6 hr flight east bound and to be honest we sleep better in CW than F as it’s quieter with less collateral ruckus .....it’s just a nice pleasant day route west bound in F and no we Only get the galleries lounge experience which to be honest is rubbish...it’s silly busy, rubbish food and drink and often not very clean
its CCR that comes with F that will be missed
Old May 21, 2018, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cymro
Originally Posted by Calum
Phone up and ask to be moved on to the first flight, I’ve never seen anyone denied a move to a F flight if the other flight has been downgraded. If they say no ask for the avoid difference back.
they have removed F from all but a few select direct flights: so that wasn’t an option: we phoned and got rebooked actually changed a flight date without any real objection from the booking agent (one flight we originally booked because F was available) but the dates was a day earlier than we wanted, she also booked us seats in CW no charge even though we are only bronze now so we got the best available seats (well the ones I think are best)
3KJ in the 787. Very nice agent.
First world problem I know but will have to see how the availability in F works out as time progresses for our next trip. And she said they may change the aircraft again so keep an eye out for F availability
unlikely but who knows
thanks for the help everyone
Old May 21, 2018, 8:38 am
Original Poster

So this is the Rolls Royce Trent 1000 engine and the issue with transatlantic flights ?? But the 3 class 787 has the same engine and lots of the “changed” aircraft on this route are the 3 class so this makes no sense
Old May 21, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
Originally Posted by aircrashsurvivor
So this is the Rolls Royce Trent 1000 engine and the issue with transatlantic flights ?? But the 3 class 787 has the same engine and lots of the “changed” aircraft on this route are the 3 class so this makes no sense
I am not an aircraft engineer, nor do I have access to BA aircraft rotations, but think that may be a somewhat oversimplified analysis :-)

As someone stated above, more likely to do with putting 787-9 airframes on more profitable routes where full F is in demand. My last flight to YYZ the F cabin was barely half full... and of competition doesn’t have F, it is a pretty easy business decision. But again, just my opinion...
Old May 21, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
It's speculation but BA has the aircraft, it just can't use them.

They have sourced some Qatar A330s to serve in the meantime, but they don't have either First or WTP. So in readjusting their aircraft pool:

1. They need to preserve F on their most profitable routes (and where they are most vulnerable to losing top-end custom). With no AC F product, an F customer is more likely to live with BA CW than if there is no direct F to go to. YYZ's F offering has always been inconsistent.

2. They need to preserve WTP on their other routes where possible;

3. Their third-tier routes will get J and Y only on QR. QR soft product is better but the A330 seat is quite cramped.

So, even though the 788 has the same engine issues, a smaller pool of aircraft operating can still mean that it makes sense to lose F on that route rather than others where they face first-class competition.
Sealink, hugolover, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old May 21, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
Weren't the engine issues supposed to be sorted by September though, which would seemingly not then impact flights in December?
Old May 21, 2018, 9:13 am
Original Poster

I have ZERO understanding of much of this. I do know the AC “premium product” on this route is apparently sensational and quite cut above AC’s standard previous J transatlantic product from good friends who now fly AC over BA and they suggested we try it for comparison. It is a cut above CW although not F on many ways. It does offer dine on demand and a very comfortable bed
personally F is just a lovely flight and even with Mixed Fleet we have yet in all our F travels been dissatisfied. Not even close really
but if we are going to travel YYZ LHR it may well be on AC for this. And if no F we will use our existing avios in F elsewhere. For me it was a companion ticket on BA with an RBC visa. But with little F we may get an AC Amex with full lounge access, and wait for AC new loyalty program to be rolled out. BA was great while we visited our daughter in the UK 6 times a year but for one to two trips it makes no sense. Many ways to use BA and lots of avios on other routes and even airlines. This route just doesn’t seem to be a priority with BA. The lounge that was one of the best outstation lounges is gone and now they have reduced F. As a customer we have choices and that’s a good thing. I was just really curious why the elimination (significant reduction) in F on this route is all
No criticism on BA. They do what’s best for them

Last edited by aircrashsurvivor; May 21, 2018 at 9:18 am
Old May 21, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: AC SE100k
Originally Posted by aircrashsurvivor
No criticism on BA. They do what’s best for them
True -- and as customers, clearly we are free to do what's good for us as well. I switched from BA to AC this year, and after 4 YYZ-LHR round trips on AC J this year (after not having flown AC at all for about 15 years), I can very happily say that I haven't come close to regretting the decision. The odd op-up to BA F (in addition to fairly regular F redemptions) was a nice bonus flying on BA, and now that that's gone on this route, it reinforces the argument to switch to AC. The hard and soft product on BA is now quite inferior, aside from the excellent check-in experience in the BA First area at LHR T5. All future BA bookings for us will be redemptions (which I think are still good value in conjunction with 2-for-1s).
aircrashsurvivor likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Simon
Weren't the engine issues supposed to be sorted by September though, which would seemingly not then impact flights in December?
No. More likely 2020.
Old May 21, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, SPG Preferred Plus
Thanks for posting this - we had an anniversary trip booked in December LHR-YYZ in First using a 2 for 1. Just logged in to find that we too have been shifted from First to CW.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.