Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Should Bronze tier have access to Galleries (1 or 2 invites per year)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should Bronze tier have access to Galleries (1 or 2 invites per year)

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2018, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo

Joking aside, BA do give, according to evidence here from some, f upgrade when you turn gold, same carrot maybe?? Two of us got upgraded after turning gold the first time.
Actually not really the same. The upgrades are what marketing people call "surprise and delight". Giving lounge passes does not include the "surprise" element and instead is likely to create an expectation or be taken for granted.
Old May 21, 2018, 3:10 am

I don't think this is good idea, and agree with others that it is unlikely to make a difference.

However, as proposed above, the idea of purchasing lounge access/extra guests with Cash/Avios makes sense, and could be inclusive for all.
Old May 21, 2018, 3:25 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
From a commercial perspective it might make a lot of sense. I used to avoid BA at all cost and was a very loyal Star Alliance boy until 2008. A bad combination of corporate travel agents forcing me on BA resulted in me getting silver by accident, at which point I "tried" BA in earnest, had my next two flights upgraded, and stayed with them since.

So giving something for free can work great - if the product is great. If they "low chicken content curry" is good enough to elicit further spend may be another discussion...
Old May 21, 2018, 3:37 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Actually not really the same. The upgrades are what marketing people call "surprise and delight". Giving lounge passes does not include the "surprise" element and instead is likely to create an expectation or be taken for granted.
True, the surprise element is what I remember the most, so yes not quite the same
orbitmic likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 3:41 am

Programs: BA Gold (woohoo)
I re-joined the Exec club about 6 years ago having assumed there was no benefit in digging out my old number (damn you lifetime tier points.... I was Qantas for 15 years in the interim). I distinctly remember being given a pass to the lounge after joining... Which would serve the purpose of showing lowly blues what to aim for.

Did this happen? Does it happen?
Old May 21, 2018, 6:36 am

The logic wouldn't be much different to giving Op-ups to potential Club customers instead of frequent flyers. Would work better if it was a "random" award than a published benefit.

That said, depending on when the customer(s) visited the lounge, it might actually be counterproductive - reality might no match the expectation!
Old May 21, 2018, 6:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
No, but they should get free seat selection from booking.
Old May 21, 2018, 6:55 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
As a very much ex-gold, who now flies with the cheapest available airline, I used to quite like using the lounges. However, now I have no lounge access, I feel no need for it at all. I just go to my preferred coffee bar in each airport, and am quite happy there. With the distinct advantage that you seldom get morons walking around trying to look impressive with their phones on loudspeaker.

If/when I do travel J/CE, I will use the lounge, which partly undermines what I say above!!
HIDDY and wrp96 like this.
Old May 21, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Greenpen
Getting Bronze involves flying a lot with BA so should be rewarded.

Clearly it depends on how you define "a lot", but a round trip from the UK (outside London) to the East Coast of the USA will get you enough TPs for Bronze - I wouldn't say that one trip/four flights is "a lot". I like the idea of a surprise lounge invite when loads are predicted to be low, but nothing else.
orbitmic likes this.

Last edited by LondonAndy; May 21, 2018 at 10:09 am
Old May 21, 2018, 7:28 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Do not forget that by talking Bronze, we are in effect talking OW Ruby, and there tend to be quite a few on those flying around.
No we are not talking about OW Ruby. Most (all ?) benefits of thre first tier of a FFP apply only to the FFP member, not the alliance (BA bronze does not entitled you to Business checkin on anything other than BA).
Old May 21, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by fransknorge

No we are not talking about OW Ruby. Most (all ?) benefits of thre first tier of a FFP apply only to the FFP member, not the alliance (BA bronze does not entitled you to Business checkin on anything other than BA).

I'm sorry, but unless I missed something - or I did not understand your post - BA Bronze is OW Ruby, and that gives business check-in privileges alliance wide.
LCY8737 and orbitmic like this.
Old May 21, 2018, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
So the argument here is that maybe bronze should get a few passes to GC a year as that would incentivise them to fly ba more...

in in which case maybe silvershould get a couple of passes to gf each year?...

and then maybe gold should get a couple of passes to ccr each year?...

oh wait, maybe blue should get a couple of passes to fast track check in security and boarding each year too?...

I’d say that if a bronze would like the couple of passes it means that they are already aware of the value of lounge access and thus no need to give araser to incentivise them. Heck, chances are they may even imagine it to be a lot better than it is. You give them the pass, they come in an ‘in between meals’ period and they think ‘gosh is that what all the fuss is about?!!’

As a reminder, a single return LHR-DME in promo business class and one very cheap discounted return LHR-MAN will get you bronze. Offering lounge access on the LHR-MAN segments on that basis would seem frankly silly to me. A return LHR-DOH-XXX on QR or LHR-JFK-LAX on AA in promo business class and discounted return LHR-HEL will get you silver.

Anyway personally i don’t think it is necessary. Bronze privileges are pretty good for a potentially regular but modest level of flying...
Lounge passes are only going to be valuable to people who fly. If someone has done the above 2 flights to achieve bronze, he/she needs to fly again to use any passes given. 2 passes a year doesn't seem particularly extravagant. And would win a lot of points with people doing a lot of ET flying to get to bronze.

Also giving passes eliminates the need to extend the program to OW Rubies.
Old May 21, 2018, 11:28 am

As a Bronze who has also been Silver for a couple of years, I don't like the idea. I am expecting to return to Silver next year and look forward to the lounge access again. I don't need to have a couple of free loans of a sports car to know that I want one and I don't think anyone needs a free pass to the lounge to make it more aspirational. If anything it might be a "got the t-shirt, what's next" result.
orbitmic likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo
Makes sense to me. Dangle the carrot principal to get you to try the product.
I'm not sure if many of the business class lounges operated/used by BA would incentivise passenger to aim for Silver/Gold.

Originally Posted by Mordac
No, but they should get free seat selection from booking.
The T-7 free selection is IMO a good compromise.
Old May 21, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
I am a *S on OZ and I get two passes to use OZ business lounges each qualification period for that level. it's a nice little perk, as *S doesn't really count for much otherwise. I can see a lounge pass or two encouraging some people to fly more to hit bronze (or some bronze level members to go for silver to keep their access).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.