Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Should Bronze tier have access to Galleries (1 or 2 invites per year)

Should Bronze tier have access to Galleries (1 or 2 invites per year)

Old May 20, 2018, 10:43 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
I think Bronze passengers should get lounge access any time they fly in business or first class. After a few free lounge visits, they’ll reach Silver.

More seriously, a targeted promotion for off peak hours would seem ok, and/or of the lounge sizes in general were substantially increased.
crazyarmadillo likes this.
Old May 20, 2018, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by baexecsilver_eu1
I suppose my reasons would only be clear to someone who has held Bronze, been booked into a ET/WT/WT+ flight from T5. I completely understand why people would feel hesitant to agree with this.
That just sounds like one of those 'because it suits me' style arguments.
Old May 21, 2018, 12:52 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Makes sense to me. Dangle the carrot principal to get you to try the product.

The lounges being busy is an issue of course, but I think that's not always the case, So agree with dylanks, that BA in theory , could put times when access is granted. Say after 4pm. Or the least busiest times.
Old May 21, 2018, 12:58 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo
Makes sense to me. Dangle the carrot principal to get you to try the product.
I don't really understand that argument. Would people really start flying more just to get lounge access? Or even start flying business?
Old May 21, 2018, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I don't really understand that argument. Would people really start flying more just to get lounge access? Or even start flying business?
We did. Makes flying even more fun. There must be more people like me....... Actually maybe not 😀
Old May 21, 2018, 1:11 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
I really hope that BA will not go down the route that SAS did when they allowed EuroBonus Silver's (similar level of benefits to BA Bronze) access to the lounges during the school holidays. It made for a complete mess of overcrowding as well as a lot of Silvers not understanding that they cannot get access after that advertised period.

If opening up for Bronze access, BA might as well just allow everyone in.
Old May 21, 2018, 1:12 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo
We did. Makes flying even more fun. There must be more people like me....... Actually maybe not 😀
Literally most people on here! lol
TP runs?
RoyalSwazi and crazyarmadillo like this.
Old May 21, 2018, 1:14 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
I wonder what percentage of BA's passengers are Bronze or above...
Somehow I doubt it is 100%.
Old May 21, 2018, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Maybe make people fly BA more perhaps, is what I was thinking aloud.

I'm not saying that is good for me, as I'd prefer noone in the lounges apart from me.
Old May 21, 2018, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
I really hope that BA will not go down the route that SAS did when they allowed EuroBonus Silver's (similar level of benefits to BA Bronze) access to the lounges during the school holidays. It made for a complete mess of overcrowding as well as a lot of Silvers not understanding that they cannot get access after that advertised period.

AA now allows ows in the flagships, which I dislike immensely - Too busy , but from business side of things , maybe makes sense to lure ow people to AA
Old May 21, 2018, 1:23 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
I wonder what percentage of BA's passengers are Bronze or above...
Somehow I doubt it is 100%.
Do not forget that by talking Bronze, we are in effect talking OW Ruby, and there tend to be quite a few on those flying around.
Old May 21, 2018, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
When exceptions from rules are applied, what logic would prevent the same demand for all other EC/OW levels, i.e. 1-2 yearly GF visits for Silver/Sapphire member with guest, 1-2 CCR visits with guest for all Golds/Emeralds.

Supply tends to trigger demand.
Old May 21, 2018, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
So the argument here is that maybe bronze should get a few passes to GC a year as that would incentivise them to fly ba more...

in in which case maybe silvershould get a couple of passes to gf each year?...

and then maybe gold should get a couple of passes to ccr each year?...

oh wait, maybe blue should get a couple of passes to fast track check in security and boarding each year too?...

I’d say that if a bronze would like the couple of passes it means that they are already aware of the value of lounge access and thus no need to give araser to incentivise them. Heck, chances are they may even imagine it to be a lot better than it is. You give them the pass, they come in an ‘in between meals’ period and they think ‘gosh is that what all the fuss is about?!!’

As a reminder, a single return LHR-DME in promo business class and one very cheap discounted return LHR-MAN will get you bronze. Offering lounge access on the LHR-MAN segments on that basis would seem frankly silly to me. A return LHR-DOH-XXX on QR or LHR-JFK-LAX on AA in promo business class and discounted return LHR-HEL will get you silver.

Anyway personally i don’t think it is necessary. Bronze privileges are pretty good for a potentially regular but modest level of flying...

Last edited by orbitmic; May 21, 2018 at 1:51 am
Old May 21, 2018, 1:48 am

Programs: BA, Accor, Hilton, ITA
If someone travels so often they feel being offered 2 visits a year would suit them, then once in a while just spend what can be a little bit more for CE. On many domestic routes and short haul in a sale you can bag a one way for as little as £75 to £85, sometimes £10 more than Y. It’s a no brainier anyhow for 40 TPs and the lounge access.
Old May 21, 2018, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
So the argument here is that maybe bronze should get a few passes to GC a year as that would incentivise them to fly ba more...

in in which case maybe silvershould get a couple of passes to gf each year?...

and then maybe gold should get a couple of passes to ccr each year?...

oh wait, maybe blue should get a couple of passes to fast track check in security and boarding each year too?...

I’d say that if a bronze would like the couple of passes it means that they are already aware of the value of lounge access and thus no need to give araser to incentivise them. Heck, chances are they may even imagine it to be a lot better than it is. You give them the pass, they come in an ‘in between meals’ period and they think ‘gosh is that what all the fuss is about?!!’

As a reminder, a single return LHR-DME in promo business class and one very cheap discounted return LHR-MAN will get you bronze. Offering lounge access on the LHR-MAN segments on that basis would seem frankly silly to me. A return LHR-DOH-XXX on QR or LHR-JFK-LAX on AA in promo business class and discounted return LHR-HEL will get you silver.

Anyway personally i don’t think it is necessary. Bronze privileges are pretty good for a potentially regular but modest level of flying...
Yes , but ones thinks you draw the line at CCR . smiley added as my jokes always fall flat here

Joking aside, BA do give, according to evidence here from some, f upgrade when you turn gold, same carrot maybe?? Two of us got upgraded after turning gold the first time.

I hasten to add though I'd prefer lounges to be more restrictive.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.