Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do the British Royal Family still use BA?

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2018, 5:35 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I wouldn't say dramatic. I remember how Saudia used to be totally disrupted when members of their royal family went travelling at short notice. Whereas it seems that BA have a well practised and discreet routine to handle royal family travel - slip them on, slip them off essentially. Iberia is quite similar too, I remember travelling with the then Prince of Asturias, now the King - and he is so tall he is totally unmissable. The captain came out to greet him since both of them were former Spanish Air Force captains, but that was about it.
I was on a flight (with another UK operator) into an African destination with one of the princes (I wasn't actually with the prince, just happened to be there at the time) on a discrete, private trip and it was all very low key, they boarded last, sat at the front etc. All going swimmingly till on arrival the First Officer picked up the PA and said "Good morning your royal highness, ladies and gentlemen welcome to ...." ��

I wasn't actually with the prince, just happened to be there at the time.

Last edited by tinkicker; May 21, 2018 at 6:25 am
Old May 21, 2018, 5:38 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by babarage
Is this the time where I one up you by saying our king used to be the pilot on KLM flights in his spare time to keep his license valid? I think he stopped doing that tho.
He was the co-pilot on one of my AMS commutes once in the good old Fokker days. He’s converted to 737 now.
Old May 21, 2018, 5:45 am

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
Japan?
You only get 40 TPs, Japan is is the wrong answer.
07L 25R likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 6:15 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by RoyalSwazi
Any royal family’s is more approciable than the British one.
Royalty in this day and age is a tremendous waste of tax payer money, no matter where they 'reign'.
Although I do get the general interest in such matters in a fairy tale kind of way, just not for me.
Old May 21, 2018, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I’ve only met two, and they were perfectly approachable from my POV.

(Princess Royal and Duke of York)
Old May 21, 2018, 6:40 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by sxc
I don’t think they were deceased at the time of flying or became deceased during flying.
Yes to decease one Royal could be considered misfortune to decease two seems like carelessness
onobond, T8191 and squawk like this.
Old May 21, 2018, 6:46 am

Both TRH William and Harry can fly themselves. Turning up at some diplomatic event in a AH64 could be seen as an assertive foreign policy stance...
Old May 21, 2018, 6:48 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by RoyalSwazi

You only get 40 TPs, Japan is is the wrong answer.
The New Zealand royal family is much more approachable.
Old May 21, 2018, 6:49 am

BA in no small way facilitated the events of yesterday, if the Duchess of Sussex isn't a Gold by now she hasn't been crediting her flights correctly!
You didn't point her to FlyerTalk?
Old May 21, 2018, 6:56 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
I am looking forward for NewlyWedDuchess to join.
Old May 21, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: BAEC
Yes they do, I've been one the aircraft with 8 members of the current royal family, and 2 deceased members (!
Why on earth would the RF carry dead relatives around with them??
Old May 21, 2018, 7:15 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by babats
Why on earth would the RF carry dead relatives around with them??
I had better clarify, they were both very much alive at the time. I think it's actually 3, not sure if the Duke of Windsor was regarded as a member of the Royal Family. I was a child and this was London to Paris (Le Bourget I think) in 1967 or so - smoking section! In 1969 I flew with my parents to Tokyo and Prince William of Gloucester was also on board, he worked at the embassy. He later died in an aircrash. A hugely talented man. Much more recently Princess Margaret on LGW-ANU.
squawk likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: Tesco Clubcard, Heathrow Rewards, M&S Sparks, Caffè Nero, HSBC rewards... BAEC defector
Originally Posted by stevie
Royalty in this day and age is a tremendous waste of tax payer money, no matter where they 'reign'.
Although I do get the general interest in such matters in a fairy tale kind of way, just not for me.
Most of the time yes. And the argument that they should continue to be paid loads because "they are unable to otherwise get a proper job" because of their royal status is a little... can't think of the proper word. What I mean to say is that if "royalty" wasn't regarded with so much special interest, then they wouldn't be unable to live an otherwise "normal" life either.

That said, if they could make themselves actually useful in terms of engaging in diplomacy or whats not, jobs that are "suitable" for their (deserved or not) status and upbringing, then it wouldn't really be that much of a problem, and I'll just put it down to a relic of historical interest?

Looking forward to seeing what our new Duchess is able to do - I suspect she will be a major success.
Old May 21, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
I can just about understand the popularity of Phil the Greek, and Liz the Kraut, and maybe Charlie the Greek will do OK.

But I object in the strongest possible terms to all the hangers on. Is Beatrice really a "Princess"???

All the Dukes and etc who received their awards for being a hanger on, or shagging Kings and Queens in the past, and all of them that grabbed their lands through slavery should be made plain old Mr and/or Mrs.
TEBraniff likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
I can just about understand the popularity of Phil the Greek, and Liz the Kraut, and maybe Charlie the Greek will do OK.

But I object in the strongest possible terms to all the hangers on. Is Beatrice really a "Princess"???

All the Dukes and etc who received their awards for being a hanger on, or shagging Kings and Queens in the past, and all of them that grabbed their lands through slavery should be made plain old Mr and/or Mrs.

Yes. I can see your point of view, but without wishing to delve too much in Omni territory we just have to look at our cousins to see what can happen with an elected head of state. I believe the Queen has been very keen on a Trump state visit in order to buttress support for the monarchy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.