Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do the British Royal Family still use BA?

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2018, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by sxc
CNN just “reported” that one of the rumoured honeymoon destinations is Hawaii. Maybe they’ve been reading flyertalk.
Where BAFT leads, others follow
Old May 21, 2018, 2:40 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by sxc
CNN just “reported” that one of the rumoured honeymoon destinations is Hawaii. Maybe they’ve been reading flyertalk.
Ex CAI with an extended security interview?
mikeyfly likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes they do, I've been one the aircraft with 8 members of the current royal family, and 2 deceased members (on separate flights I should add!), all as paying customers. The Duchess of Cambridge used to have a BA staff travel privileges thanks to her parents. BA in no small way facilitated the events of yesterday, if the Duchess of Sussex isn't a Gold by now she hasn't been crediting her flights correctly!
(my bolding)

You certainly encounter some dramatic experiences when flying, don't you?

But then again, also fly considerably more than most of us
Old May 21, 2018, 3:10 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by onobond
You certainly encounter some dramatic experiences when flying, don't you?
I wouldn't say dramatic. I remember how Saudia used to be totally disrupted when members of their royal family went travelling at short notice. Whereas it seems that BA have a well practised and discreet routine to handle royal family travel - slip them on, slip them off essentially. Iberia is quite similar too, I remember travelling with the then Prince of Asturias, now the King - and he is so tall he is totally unmissable. The captain came out to greet him since both of them were former Spanish Air Force captains, but that was about it.
Old May 21, 2018, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Queen Sofia of Spain (great-great-grandaughter of Queen Victoria, and so covered by the thread title ) flew Ryanair from Santander to Stansted.

A Malaysian queen (royalty) was seated next to me between Jakarta and KL on MH. I was asked to swap seats with her companion: I did, and now patiently wait for my Panglima Setia Diraja. But with nine states ruled by sovereigns, royalty are not exactly hens' teeth in Malaysia. The low-cost terminal at KUL has a royal waiting room.
Old May 21, 2018, 4:03 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I wouldn't say dramatic.
To have two deceased royal family members flying on my plane would be dramatic enough for me.....

Four years ago, I was on the same plane as Prince Andrew for part of my flight. No, he did not jump out with a parachute. The plane going LHR-ORD had to return to LHR mid-flight. He refused to take the substitute plane. I did not see him. I was on the upper deck of the 747 and I guess he must have been in First.
Old May 21, 2018, 4:08 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
To have two deceased royal family members flying on my plane would be dramatic enough for me.....
I don’t think they were deceased at the time of flying or became deceased during flying.
Old May 21, 2018, 4:27 am

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
Originally Posted by sxc
I don’t think they were deceased at the time of flying or became deceased during flying.
Tell that to certain people who might not be aware of the fact Queen Victoria is dead and the empire gone.
Old May 21, 2018, 4:28 am

Is this the time where I one up you by saying our king used to be the pilot on KLM flights in his spare time to keep his license valid? I think he stopped doing that tho.
TEBraniff and nilsfr69 like this.
Old May 21, 2018, 4:35 am

He’s converted his licence from Fokker to Boeing. Secondly, the Dutch royal family are significantly closer to the people.
Cris L and babarage like this.
Old May 21, 2018, 4:46 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RoyalSwazi
..Secondly, the Dutch royal family are significantly closer to the people.
Tbh I would expect that to be the case in a country with a population density nearly twice that of the UK
Old May 21, 2018, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Tbh I would expect that to be the case in a country with a population density nearly twice that of the UK
Not to mention the closeness to the people in a country larger than the British Isles and a fraction of the population. No, I’m not about the Dutch. I’ve seen my king cry.
Old May 21, 2018, 5:27 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by KARFA

The Danish royal family are also more approachable than the UK Royal family and the Danish population density is 1/2 that of the UK and 1/4 that of the Netherlands or of England so I think it's more cultural than geographic. How many people there may be that are determined to try to injure particular Royals probably has a strong effect on approachability, unfortunately.
Old May 21, 2018, 5:31 am

Any royal family’s is more approciable than the British one.
Old May 21, 2018, 5:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RoyalSwazi
Any royal family’s is more approciable than the British one.
Japan?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.