Checked bags on multi-city booking query

Old May 20, 18, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways | Executive Club silver
Checked bags on multi-city booking query

Next February I am returning to Honolulu for a short trip and wanted to book it as a multi-city trip so I can split up the flights so not doing it in all one go (too tiring)
here is my trip details
4th Feb BA 1435 edi to lhr
4th Feb BA 0283 lhr to lax
5th Feb BA 5163 lax to hnl

10th Feb BA 2372 hnl to DFW
11th Feb BA 1521 DFW to lhr
12th Feb BA1452 lhr to edi

my query is on my way back on 10th Feb will my .check in luggage be straight thru to Edinburgh or will I have to collect in Dallas and re-check it in
i land in Dallas at 08.22 then fly to London at 20.30 the same day A 12 hour layover
can anyone shred some light on what will happen

thanks Andy
Old May 20, 18, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by andyh1877 View Post
Next February I am returning to Honolulu for a short trip and wanted to book it as a multi-city trip so I can split up the flights so not doing it in all one go (too tiring)
here is my trip details
4th Feb BA 1435 edi to lhr
4th Feb BA 0283 lhr to lax
5th Feb BA 5163 lax to hnl

10th Feb BA 2372 hnl to DFW
11th Feb BA 1521 DFW to lhr
12th Feb BA1452 lhr to edi

my query is on my way back on 10th Feb will my .check in luggage be straight thru to Edinburgh or will I have to collect in Dallas and re-check it in
i land in Dallas at 08.22 then fly to London at 20.30 the same day A 12 hour layover
can anyone shred some light on what will happen

thanks Andy

Hi,
Assuming it is all on one ticket, I would have thought it would be checked through all the way from HNL to EDI.

Regards

TBS
Old May 20, 18, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot View Post
Hi,
Assuming it is all on one ticket, I would have thought it would be checked through all the way from HNL to EDI.

Regards

TBS
yes it is , my outbound flight edi-lhr-lax then onto hnl the next day after spending the night in LA I will pick up back then recheck them in but hoping the return will be check straight thru so can spend the 12 hour layover in Dallas doing as I please without the burden of a large suitcase
Old May 20, 18, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andyh1877 View Post
yes it is on 1 ticket , my outbound flight edi-lhr-lax then onto hnl the next day after spending the night in LA I will pick up back then recheck them in but hoping the return will be check straight thru so can spend the 12 hour layover in Dallas doing as I please without the burden of a large suitcase
Old May 20, 18, 1:24 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Your bag would be checked through from HNL all the way to EDI as it's all on one ticket. You won't see your checked bags again until EDI.
Old May 20, 18, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi,

Apologies, but you may have a problem ( due to the length of the layover)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...lidated-8.html

As it says that bags may not be checked through if the stopover exceeds 11 hours

You may want to ask in the AA forum. (If the worst comes to the worst you could leave your case at one of the hotels at DFW if DFW does not have a left luggage facility -the Grand Hyatt @DFW is beside Terminal D

Regards

TBS
Old May 20, 18, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
The HNL-DFW and then the DFW -LHR are operated by AA so their policies come into play not BAs.

I've alerted a mod asking them to move this to the AA board rather than the OP reposting.
Old May 20, 18, 1:33 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot View Post
Hi,

Apologies, but you may have a problem ( due to the length of the layover)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...lidated-8.html

As it says that bags may not be checked through if the stopover exceeds 11 hours

You may want to ask in the AA forum. (If the worst comes to the worst you could leave your case at one of the hotels at DFW if DFW does not have a left luggage facility -the Grand Hyatt @DFW is beside Terminal D

Regards

TBS
ah so this bit?

Q. If I'm connecting using AA on a single PNR but have a stopover at my connecting airport, can I check through or recheck?
AA will generally not through check bags or allow you to recheck bags if your layover exceeds eleven hours.
surely that can't be correct? it seems a crazy rule if so. is it aimed at overnight connections? OP is arriving at DFW about 0830 and departing at 1900.
Old May 20, 18, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
ah so this bit?

surely that can't be correct? it seems a crazy rule if so. is it aimed at overnight connections? OP is arriving at DFW about 0830 and departing at 1900.
Hi,

It does seem crazy but I think there has been a few cases on the AA forum with this 11/12 hour daytime layover but I'm not 100% aufait with this potential limit restriction?

Regards

TBS
Old May 20, 18, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is not crazy. It is a capacity and a security issue and has been like this for 20+ years. Both UA and DL impose similar restrictions.

However, it is routinely enforced in the breach. When you check in at HNL, simply ask that your bags be checked through to EDI. If the agent refuses, ask politely again. If you are refused, you are SOL. Thus, you cannot count on it, but will probably be just fine.

In a worst case, simply claim your bag at DFW and drag it up to check-in where you check it for the LHR service and will only be refused there if there is some massive backup (not likely at DFW).
anniegray likes this.

Last edited by Often1; May 20, 18 at 2:43 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: